Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hobby Lobby GONE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Hobby Lobby GONE Reply with quote

Just heard that they closed, permanently all Hobby Lobby stores and dismissed all employees. A lot of people are going to miss Hobby Lobby, craft makers and modelers. Sad that in these times of folks being forced to stay home, they now cannot get supplies to stay busy with hobbies.

The worst part of this is all the hundreds of employees now without income suddenly. I hope they all get through all this safely and find new employment.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke with my local manager at HL. They are open right now and will remain open. Any HL stores closing will be in large areas such as NY, MOST will not be permanent. Our store was closed all last week.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty easy to find out this is false. Go directly to HL site and they have the info.
In states where HL is required to be closed and stay closed until that state gives a all clear ARE closed and employees are laid off so they can apply for unemployment. This is what 99.999% of companies are doing.

My daughter in laws trucking company has hundreds of employees and they need about 10 right now. Her employees were laid off....not because she hates them all....but if they are employed they can NOT get Govmt benefits.
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to spread any false rumors. The HL stores in my city have closed and there is no requirement for them to be closed, they just decided to close them.

I went to a locally owned hobby shop today and bought some paints, no problems there.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Bill, we're all succeptible to jumping the gun in this current climate.
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad they are not closing over all .
jpaul7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about what my daughters company is doing. Business hates the unknown. And to be honest we have no idea when jobs will come back. And if a company says 'you can come back on 'DATE' and it does not happen....the law suits flow!! I am also sure that if a business has a store or division or branch that was on the edge....a good time to close it.

If they close all brick and mortar stores......and it ends this virus maybe that is what it takes. I, like many of you, are in the high risk group.....I just want my family, friends and myself to make it through. God bless you all.
jpaul7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Dave.
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to let two people go today...
I have fired people before but not like this.. Crying or Very sad
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Washington State, the Employment Department is allowing affected workers to be considered " On Standby - Subject to Recall ". This designation allows for unemployment benefits withOUT having to actively look for new employment. They are also paying partial unemployment for those ( my wife included ) who are still working, but at reduced hours. It's not as much as she makes working full - time as a Licensed Dental Hygienist, but it certainly helps.
..up
tomcat65

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a state by state decision for the most part. I live in Southern WV, and my Hobby Lobby is closed due to an order from our Governor in WV closing all Non-Essential business. Not sure if all states have done the same, but if they have not. They can stay open, unless the company decides to shut down for a period of time. A HS classmate of mine works quality control for a restaurant franchise in TN. The dine-in areas have been shut down for almost 2 weeks. Today the company decided to stop doing take-out & delivery. Not that they had to, but because they wanted to... I own & operate a sound & video business. I'm shut down right now due to every place I would work at is closed or shut down. Schools closed, restaurant dine-in areas closed, no gatherings of 10 or more, etc... I have no employees. I do contracted labor when I need help. So only I am effected by this. I'm in the process of filing for unemployment & the stimulus package has money for business' like mine through the SBA(Small Business Administration)… Tough times for sure. Yes, I have to be mindful of my financial situation. And hope this is over sooner than later. But right now, I'm limiting my outings from home and making sure my family is good(parents in their 70's, a brother, & 3 nephews). Also looking at this as to spend a little more time on building. No doubt I have plenty of kits...

Thomas
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every once in awhile this rumor resurfaces it started years ago and was taken from portions of news releases that where completely out of context. I think they are closing stores because of the current virus situation but I do not think they are closing permanently. Just my opinion.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't going anywhere. PLEASE stop with the ridiculous hysteria guys. Are you not all grown, rational men? Like Tomcat, I'm here in WV. Maybe it's because we were the last man standing but we seem to have a different attitude towards this than the rest of the country. Caution, not hysterics. Compassion, not fear. Abby's been on lockdown for the past week because she works hospice care. She just got relieved yesterday, only to be needed elsewhere. Now she's a week at another home.
One thing I've learned above all else being married to a nurse, the coolest head will prevail. We are losing people and this thing will touch ALL of us, in a negative way.
Yet we are men and women of action! WE are AMERICANS! We DON'T lie down and cower under threat, we DON'T back down from those threats and we most CERTAINLY do not go gentle into that good night! We WILL survive this and as Americans, we will only come out the other end stronger, and standing taller than we ever did before! Negativity is your enemy. A positive attitude goes miles ahead of any strife.
So check on the pantry, check on your loved ones and do whatever must be done to survive. Your own safety as well as those around you is paramount at this time. If you're struggling in any way, reach out! Yes we are all grown men and women but, there's no shame here. Reach out to your loved ones, reach out to the agencies trying to help. There IS light at the end of the tunnel and it is NOT the headlamp of an oncoming train. LET'S BEAT THIS THING TOGETHER!!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Vigilantnotscared is how I put it.
Hang in there!
gks1964

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
#Vigilantnotscared is how I put it.
Hang in there!

X2
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones in Salisbury and Kannapolis NC are open as of today, they have signs on the door saying they are an essential supplier.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goes to show it varies by state. Like the Liquor stores here in WV....Vital!!! Not sure what that says......
Henryjint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Goes to show it varies by state. Like the Liquor stores here in WV....Vital!!! Not sure what that says......

Liquor Stores vital?...Just check the Fed/State taxes on it!
truedeadman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article that said Hobby Lobby closed, fired everyone, then reopened those stores like 2-3 days later. https://www.businessinsider.com/hobby-lobby-reopened-stores-in-states-with-coronavirus-lockdowns-2020-3
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ain't gonna judge what HL is or is not doing. But I hate articles that rely on 'they said' or 'leaked memo' or 'spoke to us anonymously'.
Media's number one priority today is to be first. There can be no other goal. Every person that owns a phone can pick where they go for info. No longer just the local radio or TV station.....or newspaper if you have one. Today to get attention (ie traffic = money) you have to be first AND the most provocative.
Truth comes later in a 'we were wrong' section buried somewhere. Truth doesn't matter...we were first and got tons of traffic (money)
Speedn Steven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest, at least in Colorado:
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/colorado-ag-steps-hobby-lobby-defies-covid-19/story?id=69935625&cid=clicksource_4380645_4_heads_hero_live_headlines_hed
tomcat65

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today Hobby Lobby announces they are closing all stores until further notice, till the threat of COVID-19 has passed.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/hobby-lobby-closing-all-stores-issuing-mass-furloughs/ar-BB128K4j?ocid=spartanntp
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder why Hobby Lobby gets so much attention from the national media???? Logan's Steakhouse, a vital business per the government, closed all stores, fired everyone....very little press. Grand Home, same thing....nothing.
Many many companies are doing this....it's the way it is right now. I'd say why the news is slanted....but I'd get in trouble again. Thanks
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Logan's Steakhouse

The one in Kannapolis, N.C. is open for take out.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a franchise and not company store???
Disney let go all hourly park employees go today.....at all USA parks.....media ignored.
john843

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Maybe a franchise and not company store???
Disney let go all hourly park employees go today.....at all USA parks.....media ignored.

Actually Disney furloughed all "non-essential" employees, including some executives, park employees, retail personal etc. The properties have been closed since Mar. 15th at which time they told everyone that they would pay them at least thru the middle of Apr. If I'm not mistaken those with health benefits are being allowed to keep them thru the shutdown.
I have a niece that works at a Disney property and while I have been in contact with her, this HAS been covered by the media (national and local in my case) in the last 24 hrs. I saw it at least twice yesterday just walking thru the den while the TV was on.

John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I heard of lay offs was D23 weekly newsletter. I know they were closed......my brother is a Disney fanatic and was at WDW for the week before they closed.
But I bet Disney laid off more people than HL...yet the HL news is all over compared to Disney.
truedeadman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think HL is getting more coverage cause of how they handled it. The no insurance, you're all fired, reopening stores when they shouldn't have, message from God stuff is what got them the coverage as opposed to what most businesses are doing which seems to be universal as far as non-essential service go.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one can produce the memo with 'message from God' statement.....all articles on the net have 'they said' or 'we heard' and 'spoke to us anonymously'. I am a retired analyst.....I hate mis-information no matter the way the bias runs. During this time....we do not need bad info.....that's how something really bad starts and where people really get hurt.

This is someplace no one has gone before.....tread carefully. Even good companies are getting it wrong.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their website said they would be back when the virus is over. I guess you will have to reapply for your job that you've been doing for many years. Does anyone know if Ronnie at SMH is still open for online and phone orders? I need some wheels and tires.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMHRacing website says nothing about being closed......
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
SMHRacing website says nothing about being closed......

Ok, thanks , Dennis. If Micro Mark can be open there is no reason why SMH cant be open too. At least for online and phone sales.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many sole proprietor businesses are open. Not sure if closure laws do not apply or because they operate alone exempt. This is new to everyone....and vary state to state.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companies may be able to keep their on-line business open since there is no face to face contact with customers.
Bill
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companies may be able to keep their on-line business open since there is no face to face contact with customers.
Bill
OldTrucker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife's brother-in-law has a small hobby shop, mostly RC stuff now.
He closed like all and people went to the city hall complaining that they had stuff ordered and could not pick it up because they made him close.
The city then changed their position saying that the store only had to be closed to customers entering but he could still do business at the front door for those that ordered things.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTrucker wrote:
The wife's brother-in-law has a small hobby shop, mostly RC stuff now.
He closed like all and people went to the city hall complaining that they had stuff ordered and could not pick it up because they made him close.
The city then changed their position saying that the store only had to be closed to customers entering but he could still do business at the front door for those that ordered things.

Our dog food store lets one person in at a time . You tell them what you want .they go get it, ring up the transaction and your on your way. Then the next person is allowed in. Only problem is if a bunch of people show up and congregate close to each other outside the door. So far that hasnt happened to us when we've gone there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: