Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ghost White Toner and HP254dw Printer Tips & Tricks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Ghost White Toner and HP254dw Printer Tips & Tricks Reply with quote

This thread is for those who are working with the HP254dw printer and Ghost White toner to share what they have learned and to solve problems.

Last edited by Dennis O on Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put the first one out here....

One thing I have done is started using the "printing shortcuts" that can be found under "printer properties". It allows you to create a printing profile and save it to be used again. It keeps you from having to enter the page setup parameters every time. I have one Called "White Toner Manual Feed Decal Paper". Whenever I want to do a pass I use that preset. The presets I'm using are Letter Size, Manual Feed, Medium Weight Paper, Both sides is NO, Print in Grayscale is set to Black only (which is really white only).
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:

One thing I have done is started using the "printing shortcuts" that can be found under "printer properties". It allows you to create a printing profile and save it to be used again. It keeps you from having to enter the page setup parameters every time. I have one Called "White Toner Manual Feed Decal Paper". Whenever I want to do a pass I use that preset. The presets I'm using are Letter Size, Manual Feed, Medium Weight Paper, Both sides is NO, Print in Grayscale is set to Black only (which is really white only).

Do you think I will be able to do everything I need to do with the touch screen on the printer as far as accessing printer properties and printing shortcuts? I want to use a thumbdrive to input my data to the printer.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is read your manual extensively. Different folks are going to figure out different things that work for them.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not experimented with using the USB input, however I would HOPE you could access settings from the touch panel. If you find an answer post it back here.....
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing for those of you who have purchased the HP M254dw what is the datecode on your firmware? Using the touchpanel, go to Service and hit firmware datecode. I did an update after my printer arrived in December. My datecode is 20190807.....
Charles Carmichael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What decal paper has everyone tried so far?
What paper type are you selecting when printing?

I've tried Bare Metal Foil & Tango Papa paper so far.

I've selected various different paper types (transparency, heavy paper, etc) while experimenting and have been experiencing the toner flaking off the paper, especially when a decal wraps around a corner or when it needs to go over a raised body part.

(I haven't used the ghost white toner yet, my experience is just with the HP M254DW)
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Micro Mark Paper that I have had for a year or so. I had an issue with edges curling after application but some decal coating before application seemed to help that problem. Coating the decal MAY help the toner flaking if you have not already tried that.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
I am using Micro Mark Paper that I have had for a year or so. I had an issue with edges curling after application but some decal coating before application seemed to help that problem. Coating the decal MAY help the toner flaking if you have not already tried that.

I was hopimg not to have to clear the decal sheets but that's not a deal breaker for me. just another step in the process I was hoping to avoid.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my printer out of the box and set up and downloaded the software. I did a test print just to make sure it was printing and then I started playing with it a little bit. I think I did a printer short cut but i'm not sure if I know how to access it. Its going to be one of those trial and error things to figure out how to use it.
I did print something from a thumb drive that was created on my old computer using my old graphics program so I think I will still be able to use it to create decal sheets.
Hitman51

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a recommendation, if you are using a 2 part automotive clear, it might be best to use a liquid decal film over the decals before applying them. The clear i use is pretty "hot" and have noticed if i go to thick, the red/yellow ink wants to run.

If using future, your probably fine. Ive never had luck with future and they seem to yellow over time on a white car.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:

how do you access your shortcut when you are ready to print?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May need to update printer software and or driver.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of experimenting. All microsoft products show me the interface as listed above. Drawpad does not. Adobe reader does show the interface. So it appears depending on the product the look changes. I did update my printer firmware back in December and if memory serves me I installed the latest printer drivers that I downloaded from HP as well. If you have adobe reader try doing a print and see if you get a printer properties button. It will look a bit different that what I showed above, but the "box" looked the same that shows the presets. I too am running Windows 10.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not printing from a graphics program. just trying to print a picture made from a program in another computer that I shipped over on a thumb drive. maybe that's my problem. I might have to buy a graphics program and install it in my windows 10 computer.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have figured a way around my problem. First I make the decal sheet I want in color. Then I take that decal sheet and edit it to make every image on it totally black. then when I print it with the white toner installed it will come out with all the images white. I wouldn't even have to change the settings from the colored decal sheet after I print that. I just have to make two sheets for each project. One in color and one with each image in just black. The colored sheet will be printed with the black toner installed and the white underlay sheet will be printed with the white toner installed. Now I just have to purchase the ghost white toner and some decal paper.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things.....

1. There is a setting on the printer that tells the printer to print EVERYTHING in black. Take your standard artwork, flip that setting and you get a white underlay. Flip it back for your color print and you have the overlay without actually touching the artwork. You may already know that....

2. Micromark and US Cutter are the only US providers for the toner that I have discovered. You can buy it from the manufacturer in Germany but I feared customs and shipping and all that.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Two things.....

1. There is a setting on the printer that tells the printer to print EVERYTHING in black. Take your standard artwork, flip that setting and you get a white underlay. Flip it back for your color print and you have the overlay without actually touching the artwork. You may already know that....

2. Micromark and US Cutter are the only US providers for the toner that I have discovered. You can buy it from the manufacturer in Germany but I feared customs and shipping and all that.

that's the problem. The printer wont show me the setting that I can click on to print everything in black. I found the place to create a shortcut and when I did , I got a warning that the computer had an error and needed to shutdown and the file was not saved. the computer shut down and then rebooted itself. I plan to by the white toner from US Cutter.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, How did you get Microsoft power point? did you have to purchase it or did it come with your computer?
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it when I was working through my employer. It is an old version on CD I can install on my computer when I upgrade hardware. Microsoft requires you to lease their software now, but my old version still works. I would not recommend it for graphic design. You can do basic stuff with it but not much else. I use all Truetype fonts I download off the internet so i can only get "close" to the true lettering. I did find that Adobe Reader (which is free) does support the extended print menu that shows the presets. If you can create a PDF you can use Adobe Reader to print your work.
Hitman51

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Dennis, How did you get Microsoft power point? did you have to purchase it or did it come with your computer?

https://www.getpaint.net/

is a photoshop equivelent and its free. Tons of plugins to do mostly anything. its a great program to start and learn from before moving on to more complicated programs like illustrator or paintshop pro.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where and how much $ are folks paying for the Ghost White toner???
I went to USCutter and got virus warnings. Thanks guys!
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine thru MicroMark. Currently they want $329 for the white. I got mine on Black Friday for $279. You may try ghost white in Germany as they sell them as well. Pricey but hope they will last a while.....they say 1400 sheets at 25% coverage.

Edit....I just checked US Cutter and the want $299. I bet Micromark may negotiate. You can call US Cutter at 855-402-5864
33fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
I got mine thru MicroMark. Currently they want $329 for the white. I got mine on Black Friday for $279. You may try ghost white in Germany as they sell them as well. Pricey but hope they will last a while.....they say 1400 sheets at 25% coverage.

Edit....I just checked US Cutter and the want $299. I bet Micromark may negotiate. You can call US Cutter at 855-402-5864

I picked up the HP M254dw from the local Staples for $219.
The toner is available from Ghost for $221 and $67 shipping.
I'm pretty excited about giving this a shot. I have a special project I'm going to work on.

Couple of questions though, what resolution for creating and printing the decals? And does the paper need to go in face up or face down?
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to order a few decal sheets from micro mark since tango papa wants a minimum order of 30 sheets. But micro mark said they are out of stock and don't know when they will get any more. Just wanted to see how my decals would work or if they would work without a huge investment of 30 sheets.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of paper sellers out there, ebay has a bunch selling 10 sheets under $20 shipped. BUT......few of them have blue paper and the quality is a unknown.
We can all thank a person who got a patent for decal paper. This person must have some money as they are filing all kinds of suits against folks selling paper.
Decals were invented in the 1800's so how this person got a patent I'd like investigated.
I used thousands of sheet of blue paper from BEL....I loved it and never had an issue....there were driven out by this patent. There is fraud somewhere.......RANT over...

MarkJ...I have some new blue/clear paper I had made. It jams my old printer as it is a high heat fuser. PM me if you want to try it. IT MAY JAM YOUR PRINTER TOO......but I can't tell you.
Charles Carmichael

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Was going to order a few decal sheets from micro mark since tango papa wants a minimum order of 30 sheets. But micro mark said they are out of stock and don't know when they will get any more. Just wanted to see how my decals would work or if they would work without a huge investment of 30 sheets.

Not sure where you're looking, but Micro Mark has the clear on blue laser decal paper in stock.

https://www.micromark.com/Clear-On-Blue-Decal-Paper-For-Laser-Printers?quantity-pack=2
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Carmichael wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

Not sure where you're looking, but Micro Mark has the clear on blue laser decal paper in stock.

https://www.micromark.com/Clear-On-Blue-Decal-Paper-For-Laser-Printers?quantity-pack=2

I called the micro mark number and spoke to Bob and he told me they did not have any. unless he was lieing to me, I don't think they have any.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
There are lots of paper sellers out there, ebay has a bunch selling 10 sheets under $20 shipped. BUT......few of them have blue paper and the quality is a unknown.
We can all thank a person who got a patent for decal paper. This person must have some money as they are filing all kinds of suits against folks selling paper.
Decals were invented in the 1800's so how this person got a patent I'd like investigated.
I used thousands of sheet of blue paper from BEL....I loved it and never had an issue....there were driven out by this patent. There is fraud somewhere.......RANT over...

MarkJ...I have some new blue/clear paper I had made. It jams my old printer as it is a high heat fuser. PM me if you want to try it. IT MAY JAM YOUR PRINTER TOO......but I can't tell you.

Dave, I have the m254dw, is that a high heat fuser? If I use it and it jams can I un jam it?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have OKI printers......so I can't say. Some folks say the 254 is lower heat....but I can not say. I tested mine yesterday with my new paper and it jammed....I open the top, pull out the fuser and remove paper. Yours.....unsure....thx
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally was able to order ten sheets of the decal paper from micro mark. Its suppose to arrive on tuesday so I can see if its going to work for the color decals before i order a ghost white toner. I hope u. s. cutter is still in business if i get around to ordering it.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other options for the toner. You can order from Ghost White directly and from Micro Mark. Obviously prices may vary.....
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the manufacture in Germany for about $10 less than Cutter....but wait is longer and who knows right now......
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. We shall see.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my decal sheets from micro mark yesterday. Someone had said that you didnt have to put fixative on them but in the instruction sheet that comes with the sheets they say you do. I printed my decals out and tryed one without fixative. the decal didnt wash away like it would have if it had been inkjet but the decal material is so thin it was almost impossible to get it on the test body without it curling under and once that happened it was impossible
to get the decal right again. I went ahead and sprayed the rest of the decal sheet with testors 1261 gloss clear and will try them again hoping they will be easier to work with.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing....
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even spraying the fixative on the decals does not make this decal paper work well enough to waste the toner to print out another sheet . This is by far the worst decal paper I have ever tried to use . If a corner of a decal folds under while applying the decal, it is impossible to correct it. If i dont find a better quality paper to use I might have just wasted my money on this printer. Plus the print quality of the laser decal images is not as good as the ink jet decals I have been printing. They said to set the printer for trasnsparency to print the decals. maybe thats the problem. But I have no idea what else to set it for. there are many many options available on the printer. Well at lest I havent bought the ghost white toner yet. I was so hoping I could finally print white decals but I guess it might not happen.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bought the worst decal paper imaginable with Micro Mark printer. The print quality is probably more related to your artwork than it is the printer. We use our printer all the time for all kinds of uses and never have a print quality issue. I have not purchased the white toner for ours yet.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon, what paper do you recommend?
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
You bought the worst decal paper imaginable with Micro Mark printer. The print quality is probably more related to your artwork than it is the printer. We use our printer all the time for all kinds of uses and never have a print quality issue. I have not purchased the white toner for ours yet.

This is a recent model I have built and I did the artwork and printed the decals on ink jet paper. I had to make these decals because no one else offered them. I think there is nothing wrong with this artwork. Its not up to powerslide standards, but the decals that came out of the laser printer come no where close to the quality of these decals. i think its a question of settings not my artwork. And slso the quality of the micro mark paper.

Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Brandon, what paper do you recommend?

I currently have Tango Papa decal paper but will switch over to Dr Decal Mr Hyde paper when that runs out.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I don't know if this helps and if I missed it above please forgive. As for paper I've always used "Expert's Choice" from Bare Metal Foil co. Never had an issue, takes to all kinds of clear, I use a non yellowing clear for them.

The printer should have a setting for heavier stock, probably more than one. You would want to use photo, or card stock settings for this or you'll just be ordering more decal paper and possibly printer parts.

I am unsure what you know about printers and don't know so, just throwing it out there. I know nothing of this printer but, I'm coming to think it takes a knack and or some getting used to.

Am I understanding correctly, that the white prints first, then you have to run it again to get the colors? If this is the case, and registration is an issue, why not do them Cady style?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I've sprayed decal film through an airbrush and used the decals without clear coating them. Only worked once though and I'm not sure what it was.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Mark, I don't know if this helps and if I missed it above please forgive. As for paper I've always used "Expert's Choice" from Bare Metal Foil co. Never had an issue, takes to all kinds of clear, I use a non yellowing clear for them.

The printer should have a setting for heavier stock, probably more than one. You would want to use photo, or card stock settings for this or you'll just be ordering more decal paper and possibly printer parts.

I am unsure what you know about printers and don't know so, just throwing it out there. I know nothing of this printer but, I'm coming to think it takes a knack and or some getting used to.

Am I understanding correctly, that the white prints first, then you have to run it again to get the colors? If this is the case, and registration is an issue, why not do them Cady style?

Thanks Adam. I will look into that bare metal foil paper. Yes I plan to do it cady style . Ive created a color sheet and also a white sheet by completley blacking out each image on the color sheet. when I run that black sheet through the printer with the white toner in place , I will get a sheet full of white images that i can put the color images on top of. Cady style.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I know that layering is a pain and a lot of guys hate it but the Cady stuff is still popular and after it's done and looks good? Who gives a turkey, right? Now of course, if you intend to approach said model with a micrometer to check the depth of my decals... go ahead. The inquest isn't worth the secret. Laughing
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark there is an option in the print "set up" menu that will print everything (even color stuff) in black. When the ghost white toner is inserted you get ONLY white. You can the turn off that option and get the full color version without have to jack around with your artwork.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Mark there is an option in the print "set up" menu that will print everything (even color stuff) in black. When the ghost white toner is inserted you get ONLY white. You can the turn off that option and get the full color version without have to jack around with your artwork.

Dennis, I realize that, but I could never get the the printer to work with my computer to do what you are saying . I can however make the decals on my old computer ship it to the printer by means of a thumbdrive and print the decals that way using the touch screen on the printer. Its more work making the images from the color sheet solid black but I know it will work. I just need to find decent paper to get the quality up. The touch screen allows me to print in black only when I need to. Which will be white only when the white toner is installed.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Excellent! I know that layering is a pain and a lot of guys hate it but the Cady stuff is still popular and after it's done and looks good? Who gives a turkey, right? Now of course, if you intend to approach said model with a micrometer to check the depth of my decals... go ahead. The inquest isn't worth the secret. Laughing

Yes its a pain and would be impossible using this horrible paper I got from micro mark. But the process of layering is much better then printing white decals using white decal paper and then trimming them on the model like ive been doing with the inkjet system. Thats really a super pain. Here is an example below.

MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing around some more with the printer seeing if its worth while to purchase the white toner cartridge. I found that using 4 coats of fixative makes the decals easier to work with . keeps them from folding under and also keeps thin lines from coming off. but the printer takes an image like this made at 600 ppi. and prints it out like this . The ink jet printer makes better decals then that . the decal on the right is an inkjet decal and the one on the left came from the laser printer. Im going to try to make some decals at 700 ppi and see if they look any better. Im also going to try different paper types . the decals on the fender were printed on card stock setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: