Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1987 kodiak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: 1987 kodiak Reply with quote

I've searched the web quite a bit, and cannot come up with a clear picture of the 1987 Kodiak 2+2 Rusty won the Riverside race with. I'm trying to see what color the inside was. By what I've seen it appears to be black. I've seen other pictures from different tracks and seen white or green interiors. I was at several short track races that year and if memory serves me right they were all black. This leads me to believe his road coarse cars were also black.
Anyway, I appreciate any help out there.
Thanks in advance.

Vern
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 kodiak Reply with quote

stewrtfan wrote:
I've searched the web quite a bit, and cannot come up with a clear picture of the 1987 Kodiak 2+2 Rusty won the Riverside race with. I'm trying to see what color the inside was. By what I've seen it appears to be black. I've seen other pictures from different tracks and seen white or green interiors. I was at several short track races that year and if memory serves me right they were all black. This leads me to believe his road coarse cars were also black.
Anyway, I appreciate any help out there.
Thanks in advance.

Vern

I would go with green.
james220

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a book at home that has several pictures of the white Kodiak car I'll take a look and let you know , at least for that car, what the color is.
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, I appreciate your help
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good rule of thumb for cars prior to '89 (?) when they all went to grey, is whatever the secondary color is of the exterior is. The Kodiak cars were mainly white, green graphics with a little gold for trim. Odds on favorite for the interior color would be the green. Body all red? Inside likely is as well. In the case of the Heinz car, they loved their Heinz red so much they tended to overdo it a tad. Sure it was a pretty red but, them numbers ain't near enough to break it up. Where was I? Oh yes, Same thing with the Skoal Bandit. White car, green trimout, green interior.
You'll also find that although it did happen, very few driver's ever ran much with a black interior. Just the padding on the bars. Everything else is a neutral, light color to keep heat down. Thus the ultimate ruling, all the interiors have to be neutral grey.

Basically, the second color is almost always a good guess. There are those times it's WAY off though. Such as the time I painted David Pearson's Mercury interior with the same metal flake red I used on the roof.
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s interesting about the secondary color. Good to know.

I was always told that the switch to grey was to be able to spot fluid leaks easier... never heard the idea about keeping heat down.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it specifically was to keep heat down, more a move I think to generalize the cars that much more. Then again, maybe they thought the neutral color would aid the inspectors visually? To me it was one more step toward the cookiee cutter designs that we saw for so long. I feel like cars are beginning to regain some individual styles now and they no longer look like high speed egg's.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So........If green is the colour of choice. What green is recommended. I don’t have my decals yet nor do I have a large selection of green paint.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodiak is an intermediate green, leaning towards dark.

I would personally go with as close to the logo as possible and if I had to go a different shade, I'd go a little lighter, just because it will show the interior details better and inside the car it would appear a little darker anyway. Tamiya Nato Green might be a little dark. Their racing green looks good. TS-43
james220

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picks I have from one of my stock car books show white interior or at least a very, very, very pale gray maybe one shade off of the outside color. the seat is red the dash and top surface are off black. All these pictures are from one race, not sure what track does not say, and are published book quality. There is a really good shot of the trunk and interior, not sure about any other races.
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys, this will help!
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked through my pics of both 1987 Riverside races; the Kodiak Car had a dark interior, though the exact color is a tough call due to my weak photographic skills of the day. The dash & rear package deck were flat black. I had to check, as at least one of Rusty's Kodiak cars had a Old Milwaukee Beer RED interior, a legacy of the Tim Richmond sponsorship in years gone by at Blue Max Racing. Sorry, unable to post any images at present.
james220

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes George I think the Bristol winner for Aluguard also had a red interior.
jpaul7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What color white is everyone using on the kodiak car?
truedeadman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underhood shot of the Kodiak car(from FB)
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/91806316_10223268678523914_7892457569854160896_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=be0b5f&_nc_ohc=ZxN9Fmb4S4QAX--EfN9&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=04dc4d4fa37f18570aee35a435a8f072&oe=5EA9E2E9
truedeadman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And an interior shot https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/91778036_10223268678923924_6218801770580148224_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=be0b5f&_nc_ohc=Hh4_W_b4G9EAX-P69fA&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=897605092f1a3bddfda5e379dfa76aec&oe=5EAA6E23
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe those photos are from one of the auction houses. I am not sure if that is a restored example or not.
I think this car could be built with any colour interior a builder wanted, and not be totally wrong. There seems to be a wide variation of variations...
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeastre wrote:
I believe those photos are from one of the auction houses. I am not sure if that is a restored example or not.
I think this car could be built with any colour interior a builder wanted, and not be totally wrong. There seems to be a wide variation of variations...
That's a good point. That interior shot seemed lighter than I remember but then, what, 30 some years have passed? When the red interior car was mentioned I went "waitaminute...?" Pretty sure I remember that one too. My mother was a huge Tim Richmond fan.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was flipping through my 1987 Winston Cup UMI Publications book. I found a picture from Martinsville that shows the rear of Rusty's car. If you look in the rear window, the down tubes into the trunk appear, to my eye, to be Green.

The book

The picture
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truedeadman wrote:
Underhood shot of the Kodiak car(from FB)
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/91806316_10223268678523914_7892457569854160896_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=be0b5f&_nc_ohc=ZxN9Fmb4S4QAX--EfN9&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=04dc4d4fa37f18570aee35a435a8f072&oe=5EA9E2E9

Interesting to see a Stock - Factory Original - Black RUBBER Upper Radiator Hose being used. Not likely on any NASCAR Stock Car motor from 1987. ..stir
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, the latest pictures tell the story. I ordered a couple different shades of tamiya green off ebay (as all our local hobby shops are closed).
They should be at my house when I get home this evening. I'll probably use the TS43 as I think thats a closer match to the decals. However I also ordered TS35 which may be a little light, just in case.

Thanks again to everyone who helped on my request. I appreciate the help, stay safe & happy modeling to all.
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got hold of Tamiya TS43 racing green, I think this will be pretty darn close. Pretty good match for the Mikes Decals Kodiak sheet, thanks again for all your help.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it looks like a close match. That’s what I ordered, I always second guess my colour choices.
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am gonna use the Park Green, mostly because it’s what i already have here.

Is anyone else going to use the right side of the decal sheet for an additional build?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: