Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winging it, without wings. Bobby Allison's Charger 500 #22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Winging it, without wings. Bobby Allison's Charger 500 #22 Reply with quote

I made a complete fool of myself with that other post. I hope everyone got a good chuckle. (Seriously, I'm still laughing at me and Abby has pee'd herself twice!)

I'm of a mind to do something for me this time. It will likely be a slow build.

I am starting with Revell's 1968 Charger and Daytona kits. Armed with an exasperating amount of ambition and inexplicable optimism as well as another fine decal sheet from Mike's, I will attempt Bobby Allison's #22 Charger 500.

So far I've been able to remove the front fenders from each car and blend the '68 with the '70. I've also removed part of the '68 grille to insert the 500 grille from the MPC unit. It'll have to be moved back and up just a hair to fit proper.

If you decide to do this, I suggest removing the Daytona fenders and sanding until the "gap" is gone. Leave the gap, on the '68 fenders and file/fit from there. Mine are nowhere near even all the way but... scribing!

The MPC unit is almost too big. I sanded down the edges to the chrome "Race track" perimeter, then beveled the backside edge until it dropped in. One touch of gap filler and viola!

This will be mostly out of the box from here, with sourced fuel cell and cage.

ANY tips, suggestions, or good clean jokes...welcome.

Last edited by AdamtheWayne on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done several of the Charger 500 cars I am not that much of a rivet counter I go mostly for the over all correct look. I took the easy way and used an original Dukes charger kit and I have about 5 grilles from the first issue of the Wing Car(If you remember that kit still had the flat 500 grill with all the wing car parts) then I made tinfoil molds of the t/lite panel cover, rear bumper flares, gas vent, door handle covers all off a original K&K Dodge Charger Daytona 500. I made a lot of cage parts. They look good enough for my shelf I am sure yours will look much better than mine I can't wait to see yours as you do the build I always learn more about modeling from these type of builds and posts..
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hemiman.

I got the fenders on last night, only took two tries. Keeping them level so the hood sits right was a chore. It's nowhere near perfect and under macro, the gaps look awful. Not too bad with the naked eye though.

Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a braver man than I.......I would not attempt that. Above my skill level.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
You are a braver man than I.......I would not attempt that. Above my skill level.
It's all in your point of view. For instance, the first guy to desert at the Alamo... abject coward or the only one brave enough to go for help? Wink
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little mockup work and the first coat of primer. This is one of those times I know I have putty work to do so the first primer coat is as light as possible. Maybe on the next one I'll think to do these before the primer...

I originally intended to use the Daytona hood since the pins are right there. Or rather, over there. Point is they're in the wrong spot. Furthermore, I don't think the leading edge comes off right being it'd designed for the bullet nose.

It could be modified by removing the pins, sanding and filling or covering the turn signals and rebuilding the lip.

Or I could just use the '68...

One nice thing about having to lift the bumper/grille and move it back is, it tucked the bumper in nice and tight... NASCAR style!

An added benefit is, this will force me to raise the roll pan just a bit as well, further adding to the race look and might help the look of the stance as well as spoiler. For the mod, I removed the top bead and most of the vertical in the bumper knocks.
Finally, I considered the cage from a Polar Lights Torino rescue but I think I'll look around a bit more. I need to find a decent intake anyway.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the photos of the restoration of this car to work with just a few minutes ago. Sometimes you just get lucky. I'm off to attack that body with some putty now. Twisted Evil

EDIT: Shocked Okay forget the preceeding devil icon. I've looked at the cage area and the engine area of the actual car and I have made a HUGE mistake!! NO WAY... can this be anywhere near "out of the box". Very Happy
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
I found the photos of the restoration of this car to work with just a few minutes ago. Sometimes you just get lucky. I'm off to attack that body with some putty now. Twisted Evil

EDIT: Shocked Okay forget the preceeding devil icon. I've looked at the cage area and the engine area of the actual car and I have made a HUGE mistake!! NO WAY... can this be anywhere near "out of the box". Very Happy

That depends on How Many Boxes You Use !!! Laughing
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay ummm… is ten too many? Ten is too many isn't it? That reminds me, I better straighten this living room before SHE get's home! Shocked
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I'm sitting here looking over some Monogram T-bird parts, focused mostly on the beaded sheet metal areas. I have the Charger in one hand and the T-bird cage in the other, the Thunderbird box on my desk. Abby walks in and with a gasp said "I thought you didn't cross breed your cars!" pointing an accusatory finger. I thought I had the upper hand, you know? So in my most soothing yet mocking tone I said "Honeee… this is a STOCK car... and Ford don't make roll bars."
A moment later my daughter yells from the other room "FORD BRONCO DAD!"

Confused "Yeah thanks for the help sweetie."
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is going sideways in the most spectacular way. Once again, I could not bring myself to just build one from the box without a lot of fuss. But forced to modify the chassis, I found an article called "The last Winged Car" about the restoration of Bobby's Daytona. VERY nice photos of the chassis laid bare. Only thing in the way is the roll bars.

I remembered conversation some months back about the desire for an accurate MOPAR chassis for stock car kits and I'll admit I wasn't prepared or wanting to go this far but...

I compared the photos to the kit chassis (Revell Dodge) and both Monogram chassis. I was at this point with the chassis.

Then my brain had one of it's famous "Spazms's" and I began to look at this...

And this...

That's a replacement floor for a 1:1.

Stay tooned.

Mack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meshed a Daytona back half with a standard Charger front clip. Got it painted, and stalled on it. Not to hijack your thread, I'll post some pics if ya wanna see it. I'm happy with it. Need to get back on it.
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Adam, I need a fix!!! updates?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay but... I'm not sure what this will do to you...

Mack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a freak!!!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
You're a freak!!!!
How rude! Laughing Razz Wink
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, I've had enough of Abby's... STUFF today, time to climb into MY world for a bit.

So far I've concentrated my efforts on the greenhouse area of the pan. I have most of the "home made" portion in the front. I've raised the tunnel and transmission bell as well as the pumpkin bell. The photos I've been researching show that most drivers raised this area at least 2" to get as much travel from the rear suspension as possible. HEY... POLAR LIGHTS and to a lesser extent Salvinos, THIS is how you enlarge the bell and tunnel! It's NOT the Liberty bell under there.
I left the tunnel and bell stock underneath and made the mod above. Either one can be hidden, overlooked or easily modified in resin.

In the rear, I'll only be replacing the fuel tank with a cell bottom and adding necessary panels over the package shelf area and trunk area. Wheel wells will be raised. Then of course there's the motor mounts and K-member. I am hoping to get back to the Chevy's but, this one's going really well!
scooter64

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool...

two wing car builds in the Fab Shop at once...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fabbed up the new K member, motor mounts and upper control arm brackets. The kit steering box is too long for the actual unit so I'm fixing that and creating a new water pump/timing cover with motor mounts to fit the new bases on the K member.

Just a little more detail work and the front end is done. I'm making new lower control arms that should be "adjustable"... sort of. The builder will have to add styrene rod for the torsion bars though.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've basically been using photos of a Petty Charger restoration, Superbird, and a couple Daytona's for references. I think I have most of the pertinent details down. There are slight differences team to team so some might want to add to what's here, some might take away. Either way, I think it's a really good rough draft. Here's some of the photos I've been using, for anyone who wants to try this. I must also give credit to another builder, I believe "Yellowsportwagon" from another site, for the starting inspiration on this. If you haven't seen his builds, check them out.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on the motor mount plate for the HEMI. Trying to get it made while preserving the fuel pump detail.

JWVD5953

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I have that '68 Charger kit but will use it as a "stock" car more or
less and not a stockcar. Very interesting details on the frame, I have a
'68 Petty Roadrunner to do with my Cherry Run decals. Thanks for the
excellent chassis images to get me going. The only thing I may do to the
'68 Charger is put riser blocks on the rear end to jack it up, a street legal
rod of sorts.---John
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWVD5953 wrote:
Nice, I have that '68 Charger kit but will use it as a "stock" car more or
less and not a stockcar. Very interesting details on the frame, I have a
'68 Petty Roadrunner to do with my Cherry Run decals. Thanks for the
excellent chassis images to get me going. The only thing I may do to the
'68 Charger is put riser blocks on the rear end to jack it up, a street legal
rod of sorts.---John
The only 2nd gen Charger I had was a '69. I missed out on a 500. I had chrome shackles and air shocks with snow tires on the rear when I first got it. Thing rode like a truck! Smile I've seen a couple street builds where the guy made Monroe air shocks from tubing and fiber optic line. I might try it on my '73 build.
JWVD5953

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a '73 off the showroom floor, 360 C.I.D. with quad and slapstick auto. Gold with white stripes. I believe it was a Canadian built car from Windsor Ontario?
Most comfortable buckets I ever sat in, it got totaled about 3 months after I bought it, lost it on a sharp corner going a bit fast, dark country road at night. My first and last Roadrunner Sad---John
gks1964

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be the Blue and Gold?
I'm working on that one now! Watching with great interest. Keep it up, I'm wait to see how you handle the motor mounts.

Thanks,
Gerald
Mack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Adam, check this out. Dunno, might be helpful

https://archive.petersen.org/pages/view.php?search=%21collection2171+&k=&modal=&display=xlthumbs&order_by=relevance&offset=1536&per_page=48&archive=&sort=DESC&restypes=&recentdaylimit=&foredit=&ref=339688
Mack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upside down pic. Looks like Hemi power to me.

https://archive.petersen.org/pages/view.php?search=%21collection2171+&k=&modal=&display=xlthumbs&order_by=relevance&offset=1536&per_page=48&archive=&sort=DESC&restypes=&recentdaylimit=&foredit=&ref=335184
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerald. Yes, this will be the blue and gold. Smile

Thanks Mack. There's some nice detail in those shots.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking care of a little "light" work.

I'd left way too big a gap in the front fenders so when I puttied the lights I threw some at the fender/door gap. When that was partially cured, I went down the edge of the door where I still had a natural edge, with a razor blade. This will make cutting in the new gap much easier although I may have to do a second round.

I know in macro the gaps look huge but they're really not. I'll go over top of this lightly with a sanding sponge. When it's nearly level I'll check the gaps and make any fills.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I forget that most people are nowhere near as weird as me. Not too many folks are willing to chop two fenders off and transplant then to a second car just to make a third. So I made it easier. These will be ready along with the Chevelle and Roadrunner parts, if I ever get my rubber order in.

Revell had just about covered all makes of the Charger from '66 to '70. As for the second generation we have the body with or without vinyl, easily swapped grilles and tail ends and RT badges galore. Then came the Daytona and finally the 1970 R/T.
Maybe it was because of how many MPC units are still out there, maybe they just never got to it. Anyway, these will be fairly cheap. As soon as the molds are made for this version, I'll take out those headlights and add the NASCAR touch for version 2. Smile
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make the window “plug” out of a Vega hatch?

About 10 years ago I went to look at a load of Vega pieces. Guy wanted $150 for a bunch of doors, fenders and other misc.pieces. He had a hatch, wanted $1000 for it because some other guy told him you could use it to make one of those Dodges more valuable...Apparently it’s a thing.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeastre wrote:
Did you make the window “plug” out of a Vega hatch?

About 10 years ago I went to look at a load of Vega pieces. Guy wanted $150 for a bunch of doors, fenders and other misc.pieces. He had a hatch, wanted $1000 for it because some other guy told him you could use it to make one of those Dodges more valuable...Apparently it’s a thing.
No but that made me smile. No I did the simplest thing I could. Cut the window and part of the deck lid from a 69 kit and the rear window from a Daytona. I had never heard of using Vega hatches like that but anything's possible.
john843

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a thing. A member of Hendrick's race team ( fabricator that occasionally used to post here username Steverino, I think) built a Daytona bodied 2000ish Dodge several years ago and that was the first time I had heard of using the Vega hatch. He covered his build in a really detailed pic thread on one of the Wingcar forums that actually held some tips that could easily carry over to modeling. One neat trick he did was with the lower character line that runs from wheel well to wheel well about 10"-12" up from the rocker panel. Starting in it's original position where it picks up from the trailing edge of the door, he re-created the line at a slightly upward angle going rearward to the front of the wheel opening to simulate a bulged quarter panel. I think he also re-created the line slightly DOWNWARD between the rear of the wheel opening and the bumper. I was very impressed with how it kind of tricked your eyes into seeing a bulge.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Fab Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: