Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I admit it, I am a horder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.J.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: I admit it, I am a horder. Reply with quote

I realized today that I am a hoarder but it has nothing to do with toilet paper. As I was social distancing today I decided to do a little inventory of my model collection, it has been a few years since I really counted the stash.
578 ….New boxed car and light truck kits with no real plans for building them.
53.....New Boxed big rig kits some tractors some trailers.
15...… Resin bodies all race cars.
73...….kits on the to build shelf, for kit bashing and out of box builds
14...… partial parts kits in various completeness but all new stuff.
129..... built kits in the cases all race cars mostly Alabama gang rides.
862.... kits total and a bunch of lose resin and kit parts in the parts binds.
I told the wife today that I was going to make a list of phone numbers and names of people she could contact about getting rid of this stuff when I move to Heaven one day. My plan is to start unloading this stuff as I get closer and into retirement stage of life ,I still have about 10 to 12 years before then though.
I forgot to mention the 2 big boxes of about 75 airplane models I got in a trade about 7 years ago, I still do not know how that happened Laughing

Last edited by R.J. on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... and that's where we saw his feet sticking out officer." Laughing You know now that I think about it I shouldn't have laughed at you. I'm only about 60 kits behind!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your just fine.......your not a hoarder.......
I sold 3000 kits to a wholesaler buddy of mine and I still have a barn full.....
spooker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: I admit it, I am a horder. Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:

862.... kits total and a bunch of lose resin and kit parts...

Rookie!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!
Am I EVER WAY behind with my 250 +/- kits
However all "new" kits have been collected, er, bought since 2006!

What I built in the 1960's and 1970's and even kits bought but never started.....90% did not survive the 14 moves including a move from CA to FL in 2001...then FL to NM in 2005, which was when the last huge purge took place....basically started from scratch again in 2006......

Down side....have started several over the years since 2006, but have only competed one, that' right ONE....and tat was a snap kit, which did not really get me back in the mood to build....
Have plemty of excuses, though.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarassed Sad
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did cheat a little......
Working in hobby shops from 1982 up into 1999 and working in the industry still......I have been able to get most my stuff pretty cheap. But still too much....
R.J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess I paid retail for about 25% of my kits, the rest were bought at lower prices. I had a buddy that had a collectable store for many years he would sale to me at lower cost, I worked with a guy for many years that would hit the local flee markets and yard sales daily and any boxed kits he could find for $5 dollars or less he would get them for me. My main purchases these days are the Salvinos JR kits and any really good deals that I may come across. I always purchase a Resin body I think I may want when I can as you never know when they will be gone and not available any more.
tomcat65

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I thought I had a big stash of racecar, aircraft, & warship kits. I'm no where near your numbers. Lol... Sounds like you need to get some vendor tables at the IPMS Region2 convention in Salem on Oct. 16-17...

Thomas
Mack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a piker by comparison. Probably still have a couple hundred unbuilt kits, several hundred decals sheets. I did a little cypherin' and realized I build maybe two kits a year, so having over two hundred unbuilts? The math ain't in my favor.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once met a man. Youngstown Ohio if I'm remembering correctly. This was in the early eighties and I met him at a local hobby shop, went to his home to see his collection. Now, I must stress, that before we went there he had mentioned how model kits supported his home. I thought essentially what you're thinking, he's one of the first to make a living from home... with models.

In his living room there was a fair amount of built's in a fair amount of scales, including a visible car frame tied to a visible V8. Neither was visible, until he took the Deuce body off. He'd hand made the body. But there was certainly no huge collection here. Maybe out back?

He led me to the door to the basement and said to be careful as the light was at the bottom. I stood at the bottom step expecting the light to come on and a shelf would appear with a few dozen to a couple hundred kits... maybe.

To what did my wondering eyes appear? His basement was the "full" style which is to say except a few support beams, it's roughly the same size as the first floor. THEY... WERE... EVERYWHERE!! The area he stood in was roughly six foot deep and four wide. Everywhere else, stacked floor to ceiling, were model cars. Multiples of some. Parted kits had their own section, as did Aurora, Revell, AMT, Lindbergh, the list goes on. Kits I'd only heard of, kits I'd never heard of, kits I had desired all my young life!

"I'm home."

He grinned "This is MY home."

"Yeah... but it's MY heaven!"

By the time I'd left I knew exactly how the kits "supported" his house in more ways than one. For him, the joke was the kits being stacked to the top around the support beams, looking for all the world as if they WERE the supports. I paid him $400 and left with about 30 kits. As things often do, life went a direction that prevented me ever getting back there and I'm certain he's passed by now but, I always remember him fondly and his wife with just a touch of pity. Wink
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I was just messaging with Dave and this came to me. I want credit for the quote too! Wink

"Models are like jello, there's always room for one more." Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: