Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM 6 lug wheels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radar43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: GM 6 lug wheels Reply with quote

From 1959 to 1964, did all Pontiac and Chevrolet teams run 6 lug wheels? Please correct my years if I am off the mark. Please add any information about this subject also.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GM 6 lug wheels Reply with quote

Radar43 wrote:
From 1959 to 1964, did all Pontiac and Chevrolet teams run 6 lug wheels? Please correct my years if I am off the mark. Please add any information about this subject also.

I know Rex White ran them in the early sixtys but the ones I used seemed too big on his 61 chevy that I did. I kinda wished i'd gone with the holman and moody 5 lug wheels even though it would not have been accurate.

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most or all Pontiacs were 5 lug. Most Chevrolets were 6 lug, although some of the teams in '63 that had been racing Pontiacs the year before used their 5 lug Pontiac hubs to speed pit stops. The Roy Mayne #46 '65 Impala was still a 6 lug car.
Radar43

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Lugs Reply with quote

This is good information. Thank You.
Olderndirt

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In1961 a Chevy impala was entered in the sedan race in England. The big impala with its 409, and 4speed, dominated the fancy smancy European sedans. But, the American upstart had to drop out of the race due to a failure of one of the front wheels. It seems the cars had to be showroom stock, which meant five lug wheels.

Olderndirt
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olderndirt wrote:
In1961 a Chevy impala was entered in the sedan race in England. The big impala with its 409, and 4speed, dominated the fancy smancy European sedans. But, the American upstart had to drop out of the race due to a failure of one of the front wheels. It seems the cars had to be showroom stock, which meant five lug wheels.

Olderndirt

The driver was Dan Gurney, I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: