Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'66 &'67 FAIRLANES & CYCLONES *ADDED ANDRETTI #114*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: '66 &'67 FAIRLANES & CYCLONES *ADDED ANDRETTI #114* Reply with quote

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR PATIENCE. IF ANYONE HAS ANYTHING TO COMMENT ON OR ADD TO THIS THREAD PLEASE FEEL FREE! WE'RE NOW "OPEN FOR BUSINESS".

I HAVE A BUNCH OF NEW STUFF TO ADD TO THIS THREAD AS WELL SO STAY TUNED....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:58 am Post subject: '66 &'67 FAIRLANES AND CYCLONES*NOW WITH MORE PEARSON!* Reply with quote
OK after exhaustive "market research", and after receiving positive feedback from virtually 100% of the respondents to my inquiry (Thanks Fallscity48 and Ancient Modeler!) I hereby inaugurate the Official "Little Ford" Sticky!!

As with the other subjects, this is intended to be a one-stop resource of information on the history, technical aspects and modeling techniques of these cars. Any and all comments and contributions are welcome. Feel free to correct and critique as well. We are striving for accuracy in these stickys and no one person knows it all (except for those of course who have achieved the status of all-knowing, all-seeing, Grand Guru of all things Ford, ... and you know who you are!)

Speaking of one of our Gurus, Bill Little has a tutorial on building a shelf-model quality chassis for the Little Fords. An alternative to the full-blown 1/2 chassis. Here's a hot-link to that thread to get things started:
http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=34729
NOTE: This link is broken. I am attempting to recover the article. However, if anyone saved a copy oi it, it would be much appreciated if you could post it in this thread, or send it to me. Thanks.

Let's have some fun with this stuff!

Jerry

Last edited by '67 Fairlane on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:45 am; edited 10 times in total
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:09 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to get everyone's interest going here's a few photos to whet your appetites:

Mr. Dick Hutcherson, Daytona 1967, the car is a '66:

Jim Clark. I believe this is also a '66 Fairlane but need to verify:

David Pearson during a pit stop. Shows the '67 grille. Sorry for the poor quality photo. If anyone has a better one please post it or PM it to me to replace this one.

Pearson and Hutcherson. Both '66's photo taken in '67.

Red Farmer.

Andretti during pit-stop competition.

A pair of Bud Moore Mercs on pit road. I apologize I've misplaced my notes on these Cyclones. If anyone has driver's names for these feel free to chime in, otherwise I'll edit them in as soon as I can.

Under the hood.

#16 during pit-stop competition.

Color shot of #16. Bobby Allison maybe??

Well that should get things started. More to come...

NEW PHOTOS ADDED 10-10-07

Here's Curtis Turner ending his day early at Riverside:

Here's Dan Gurney piloting the #16 at Riverside. He struggled for a good portion of the race finally earning a DNF for a blown engine:

This is a publicity shot of the '66 Cyclone built for Darel Dieringer, note the sporty hood scoops:

Here we have an ad for Crane Cams with a photo that shows off those sporty hood scoops a little better:

This is the only color photo I have of the '66 Cyclone of Dieringer's. Note, it now is equipped with the somewhat less sporty "flat" hood!:

PHOTO ADDED 10-20-07 Well as luck would have it, the above photo wasn't my only color shot of Darel's '66 Merc!! Here's a color version of the photo in the Crane Cams ad. A much better view of those "sporty" lookin' hood scoops!!

FUN FACT on the '66 Cyclone hood scoops: The hoods were the factory Cyclone GT fiberglass hoods. However so much bracing had to be added to stabilize them before Mercury would warrantee them, they ended up weighing almost as much as a steel hood! - THANKS TO LUKE '57 10-21-07

MOVING ON TO THE FAIRLANES:
This next photo is of Mario Andretti on his way winning the 1967 Daytona 500. Its interesting to note that his car sports the ubiquitous "bug screen" or rock and debris screen that was popular back then. The fact that a lot of the Fairlanes wore these tended obscure important details when it came to identifying the car as a '66 or a '67. Light reflecting off the screen from most angles often prevented the viewer from making a positive I.D. This photo however, has extremely strong frontal lighting and as such the tell-tale characteristics of the '66 grille show through cleanly. '66 Fairlanes were run quite a bit during the first half of 1967, with some exceptions.

One of those exceptions was the race at Riverside, interestingly, the race that immediately preceded Daytona! Here we see Parnelli Jones well on his way to winning the 500 mile road course event in a Holman-Moody/ Bill Stroppe prepared '67 Fairlane:

Remember when NASCAR didn't ding you for your post-race "ride height" being a bit too low?:

Here's a color shot of the winning car from a FoMoCo magazine ad:

More Fairlane action from Riverside:

Driver Lloyd Ruby ("Ol' Rube") in the '67 Fairlane on the left passing Bobby Allison in what looks like a Long-Lewis Fairlane (verify?) and west coast driver Don Noel in the Chevelle. - Thanks to USAC 1957 for Ruby's 1st name!

In this photo, AJ Foyt wheels the #27 Fairlane through a right-hander ahead of USAC driver Don White in a Dodge and Bo Reeder in the #80 '64 Galaxie!

"PJ" in another Bill Stroppe Fairlane:

Here's Cale during the National 500 at Charlotte getting some high speed attention as only the Wood Bros. could give. MODELER'S NOTE: He must have been running Firestones that day, notice the Firestone Engineer on his hands and knees checking tire wear! Yarborough led the event late in the race but retired early with an overheated engine:
Note also the grille is a '67.

Here we have the "Flying Wood Bros." servicing Cale during a pit-stop competition:

Cale in his '67 Daytona ride. The car is most likely a '66, need to verify:

OK, that's it for today. More stuff to come...

Jerry

Last edited by '67 Fairlane on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:28 am; edited 5 times in total
Dave Van

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
A 'shelf' model of that last one. Great pics!

bwagner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:22 pm Post subject: FREDDIE PICTURES Reply with quote
The 67 Fairlane pictures are cool and bring back memories. They will also be a help with my ongoing Freddie Lorenzen builds. Are there any 67 Freddie Fairlane photos around?
old Freddie Lorenzen fan
Ancient Modeler
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, Jerry! I will sticky this, and hopefully post some of my reference pictures.

Bill (all things Fairlane!) Little <><
usa
ON THE BENCH: ???? (a couple hundred or more....)
racepast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
This is what I've been waiting for. I own the 1966 Bud Moore Comet Cyclone in which Darel Dieringer won the 1966 Southern 500. A few weeks before that he won at the Asheville-Weaverville Speedway in the same car.

I am collecting parts and pieces and plan to begin the restoration soon. I would appreciate any photos, magazine articles, or other stuff related to the Bud Moore Comets of 1966 and 1967.

I would also like to build models of the 1966 Comet as well as the 1967 versions. I can assist this thread with some photos and other info. I would like to know how to post photos.
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote
EVEN MORE NEW STUFF ADDED 10-11-07!! boogie

I'd like to thank Wade for his perfect timing when he inquired about FoMoCo 427s. I'd also like to thank Ancient Modeler for posting the excellent photo.

This is a 1968 version of the 427. Wade has a Ford project in works and was asking about the '66/'67 version of this motor. Bill mentioned that essentially they were the same for those 3 years, but as was pointed out in the discussion thread there were some significant differences between them. Here's the link to the thread:
http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=34829

This seems like as good a time as any to resurrect this photo; again courtesy of Bill Little:

This is a '69 Torino if I recall but it clearly shows the exhaust system. Note that while we still have a 4 abreast header pipe arrangement coming into the collector, the collector itself is very different fron the one in the color photo above! (Ah variety!) As Doc points out in the discussion thread above, the Galaxies had a different collector configuration. The flat collector appears to be tailored for the mid-sized Fords and Mercs.

Here's a photo of a 427 that's installed in a '67 Fairlane, (Parnelli Jones?)thanks again to AM!
PHOTO COMING SOON... I HOPE!

Last edited by '67 Fairlane on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Ancient Modeler
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote
AS I mentioned before, I made a misjudgement since I knew what car Wade is building, which is a '67 Fairlane. Doc was correct about the tunnel port intake, that is good for '67 and up. The "T-pan" started in use with the Fairlanes and continued on. Galaxies always had the deep sump pan up through the last H/M ones in '66.
usa
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Bill, if anyone can keep us straight on Ford stuff it's you, Doc, Jerry (not me!) and Hugh! We appreciate everything you do. These stickies are as much a tribute to you guys (and everyone else who has contributed to our bank of knowledge over the years) as much as they are a helpful tool in learning. Us new guys can't thank you enough.

Lets take a look at how these cars were put together. The photos are from the Holman Moody shops and are courtesy of Dr. Craft. While they depict HM Fairlanes, it would be essentially the same for the Cyclones too. There were differences however that a trained eye could spot in a split second. I would never presume that I could tell you the differences between a Bud Moore frame and roll cage and one built by HM. I'll leave that to our staff of acknowledged Gurus. Having said that however, these photos while not generic, do give you the general idea of what's going on under the skin of a mid-60's race car.:

Well that should give everyone some "fodder" for discussion. Study the pics and talk amongst yourselves. I'll add some captions in the next day or so as time allows.

Hey Racepast, even though you're working on a Bud Moore car maybe you can find some useful information here.

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
That would be "Ol' Rube" Lloyd Ruby...

'67 Fairlane wrote:
Here we see a driver named Ruby (first name anyone?) in the '67 Fairlane on the left passing Bobby Allison in what looks like a Long-Lewis Fairlane (verify?) and west coast driver Don Noel in the Chevelle.

OK, that's it for today. More stuff to come...

Jerry

”It amazes me how people want to make more out of it than what it is, It’s a fascinating sport, and it always boils down to one thing: trying to be faster.”
Tony Stewart
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks USAC 1957! The addition has been made in the caption with due credit given. I appreciate the help.

THIS IS THE "BRAIN - TRUST" AT WORK GANG! LET'S KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I need to find the pictures, but........

The color shot Darel's '66 Comet shown above is at Darlinton where he won the Southern 500. The "flat hood" was used towards the end of the season.

Mario Andretti drove a '67 Fairlane #114 at Riverside that was an exact reverse color scheme of the #115. Red body instead of blue, blue sail panel instead of red.
usa
bwagner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:22 pm Post subject: NASCAR FAIRLANE PICTURES Reply with quote
Are those last half dozen interior and engine comparment pictures the #28 by any chance? I remember seeing Freddie's car at the Darlington Museum in 1991 when I was with Air Force at Shaw AFB, but being so long ago I don't recall the interior colors other than the light blue. Can anybody help me out with them or have any color photos available as I am working on building a couple of fresh models Fred's Fairlanes and would like to make them as accurate as possible colorwise? Thanks and keep the picutures coming.

Bruce
old Freddie Lorenzen fan
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Bruce;

The short answer to your question is, I don't know. Some of, if not all the photos you asked about came from Dr. Craft and have been circulating around this Board for a while now. I just pulled them together in one place to make them easy to find.

THE best source for this kind of information is Dr. Craft himself since he is the acknowledged FoMoCo/Holman-Moody/Fred Lorenzen expert. The best way to get hold of him in the public forum is over on the Darkside. Just "page" him to the white courtesy phone (literally!). Then state your question in the thread. That way we all can benefit from his response. He is busy so it may take a day or so for him to respond, but his knowledge is well worth the wait.

If I may be allowed a bit of speculation, here's what we DO know. Fred Lorenzen's Galaxies and Fairlanes were built by Holman Moody. The photos shown above are from Holman Moody. When they built their cars they were all essentially the same built from a standard template. Individual differences came about based on driver or team preferences, as well as track type and track conditions. But the major components were essentially the same. Fuel cells, filler & vent hoses engine compartment components etc. were all basically the same.

Here is the only photo I have of the Lorenzen '66 Fairlane. Note that it's wearing Firestones for this race.

Hope I was able to help in some small way. I do recommend asking Dr. Craft however.

Jerry
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I think Dr. Craft has posted that the light blue was a 1958 Chevy color called Cashmere Blue. The basic interior layout would be similar to the other H-M Fairlanes.

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrianP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote
All the photos on this thread are incredibly informative. As an aside, it's suprising how close the stock cars built for 1966/67 are to today's 'stock' cars in the chassis. A few more roll bars in the driver's compartment, but the rest of the chassis is probably 90% the same. The only 'major' difference that I can easily pick out is that the rear shock mounts today are completely below the chassis, but for the 1960's (and into the mid-1970s) they mounted through the floor into the 'hoop' above the rear axle.

Very Happy
C5HM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
The photos of the completed Fairlane (above) ARE of Fred's last Fairlane C7HM-1099. They were taken at the Joe Weatherly Museum in Darlington. Also, I don't believe the headers on the picture of the 427 TP that Bill posted (also above) are period correct. I've never seen a collector like that from back in the day. The correct collector is picture on the overturned Ford (also above). Finally, Bud's first Comet was NOT a half chassis car and was NOT built by H&M. Rather, it was actually a shock tower car with heavy reinforcements. His second car was clipped at H&M with a Galaxie snout. I would expect that the cages in Bud's cars (along with everything else) varied somewhat from H&M form.
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Tom Brian and Doc;

Thank you all for your valuable input. This is the "Brain Trust" at it's best. Please feel free at any time, to comment, correct or add to anything in this sticky. It is intended to be a community resource.

Doc, we continue to drool with Pavlovian anticipation over the release of your biography of Bud Moore. Hope the project is proceeding well.

Jerry drool
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:31 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Doc,

I never got the final word on *THIS* Fairlane, so give it to us! LOL!!

Is this #28 (*Jr.*) the original mule that Curtis drove as the #41? It is my understanding that the #41 was H/M's original 1/2 chassis car. And here's this one between all the other factory Galaxies.

I *believe* this #28 is the same car as the #41, is it??

Thanks!
usa
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote
NOTE: THIS DISCUSSION WAS COPIED OVER FROM THE DARKSIDE 10-21-07

LUKE'57 wrote:
That was the Cyclone GT fiberglass factory hood. By the time they added enough bracing to it so Mercury could warranty it the hood wound up weighing nearly as much as a steel one.

And not to be nit picky but there are several '66 Fairlanes identified as '67 because of the catch screen over the grill. There were VERY FEW '67 Fairlane grilled cars build or run.

Jerry;

Thanks for the interesting background on the Cyclone hood. I always thought that hood WAS steel!

On the subject of '66 vs.'67 Fairlanes. I tried to be as careful as I could when labelling the photos but may have missed a few. The criteria I used in determining the year was the grille AND the headlight trim piece (which also was different between those 2 years). Since the bodies were identical I would call it one or the other based on those two items and not try to make the call if it was a regrilled '66 or a purpose-built '67, which would be impossible without researching each car driven at each race. If a grille screen obscurred the grille then the headlight trim piece alone was used to make the determination. In cases where I just didn't know I'd either not make the determination or would "guess" and call it out as such and ask for someone else to make the call. I'm not sure which photos you are referring to but if you let me know, I'll take another closer look and make any changes if an error has been made. Don't feel like you have to tip-toe around the subject (not with me anyway) the sticky isn't about me, its about getting it right. Picking of nits is highly encouraged!

Now that's not to say I won't challenge you and debate something I feel strongly about, I can assure you I will, but it would only be in the interest of gettng to the truth rather than settling on one person's opinion even if its my own. Convince me I've strayed from the path and I'll make it right.

Also with your permission I'd like to copy this over to the sticky since the Cyclone fact, and this discussion might be better served in the thread where the photos are readily accessible.

Thanks again.

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
It just happened that in my search for a photo of the black Friday Hassler C**** (I know this is a Ford thread!) I ran across a few good photos of some Fairlanes and Comets from 67 that I scanned as well. Hope these help in some way.

Fred in the rain at Riverside 1967

Mario at Atlanta

Cale and Mario at Daytona

Darel Dieringer at Daytona in 1966

I know this picture of the car is shown above, but I had scanned the entire ad. I've always thought it was very cool. Maybe just because it was Rufus, or maybe just because it IS cool!

-Calhoun
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Calhoun wrote:
It just happened that in my search for a photo of the black Friday Hassler C**** (I know this is a Ford thread!) I ran across a few good photos of some Fairlanes and Comets from 67 that I scanned as well. Hope these help in some way.
-Calhoun

Dude! You Rock!! thumbsup

I have the same Ford ad with the Parnelli Jones car. True evidence of the philosophy "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday!" I owned a '67 Fairlane 500, I'd probably still have it if it was one of those "427" powered buggies! What a grocery-getter that would be! It was a fun car. It had a 289 when I bought it, and after I rebuilt and blue-printed it, it was dyno'd at 340 HP. What a screamer! I was OK in the horse power category, just wish I had the torque you could get from a big block!

Great photos! Especially the #28 in the rain. Looks like they slapped a '67 grille on the front of that '66!

Many thanks. All contributions all welcome!

Jerry
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Jerry,

*My* '67 Fairlane 500 XL was a 390 car. White vinyl top, Vintage Burgandy, black interior. Only drawback was the automatic tranny, but I wish I STILL had it! Very Happy
usa
bwagner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:52 pm Post subject: GREAT FAIRLANE PHOTOS Reply with quote
Many thanks for the #28 photos thay are a great help at refeshing my old memory. I wonder what the rest of the factory Ford guys felt as Freddie had 28 JR and they were still running the Galaxies? If I remember correctly Fred did win a couple of races in the latter part of 1966 with the Fairlane but I don't recall if all the Fords had switched before the end of the season. Jerry as I am new to the board, how do I get a hold of Doc for any more Ford/Fred questions, I don' t as of yet know his username?

Thanks again,
Bruce
old Freddie Lorenzen fan
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Bruce;

Doctor John Craft's "Handle" is "C5HM". One of the accepted methods of getting hold of someone publically on the Board is to "page" them. Just start a thread titled "Paging So-and-So to the white Courtesy Phone" or something similar. But make sure its in the title so it can be spotted right off. Then put your question in the text. That way everyone can benefit from the answers given. The best place to post that message is in the Darkside. Doctor Craft has a very busy schedule but he seems to check in with the Board about every other day or so. He's always willing to share information.

By the way did you notice on the '67 Riverside photo of the #28, the "JR" has been removed from the door panels.

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad you liked them. I was afraid you'd get bored. I just uploaded 18 more into my Flickr album.

Here's a sample, or click on the link to see them all.

Gotta love Rufus in a Fairlane on dirt. Check out that dirt screen / shaker on the front!

AJ from the same race

Cale and Mario at Atlanta. Sorry, this pic was a two-pager and I tried to clean it up a little.

Bobby at Macon

How did that pesky blue car get in this shot?

To see the rest of them, Click here

-Calhoun
Ancient Modeler
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
'67 Fairlane wrote:
Hi Bruce;

Doctor John Craft's "Handle" is "C5HM". One of the accepted methods of getting hold of someone publically on the Board is to "page" them. Just start a thread titled "Paging So-and-So to the white Courtesy Phone" or something similar. But make sure its in the title so it can be spotted right off. Then put your question in the text. That way everyone can benefit from the answers given. The best place to post that message is in the Darkside. Doctor Craft has a very busy schedule but he seems to check in with the Board about every other day or so. He's always willing to share information.

By the way did you notice on the '67 Riverside photo of the #28, the "JR" has been removed from the door panels.

Jerry

Hi Bruce, Hi Jerry!

Doc hasn't seen this yet, he hasn't answered the question I had on the #41/#28 Jr.

I believe the "Jr." was just a sorta "gag" since all the others were in the BIG GALAXIES! AFAIK, the rest of the Fords (H/M-Factory) all had Fairlanes by the end of the year. At least Fred, Darel (Junior), Hutch, and Cale.

But, Banjo waited until '67 to run the Fairlane. He opened '67 with A.J. running for the USAC Championship, and the FIA races in NASCAR. He also fielded a '66 Galaxie in '67 or '68 (??) for Boscoe Lowe's initiation to NASCAR GN.

And I can NEVER keep straight what Ned did...... LOL!!
usa
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Found this great photo of AJ Foyt's '67 Fairlane being templated.

This has got to be one of the "cleanest" photos I've seen so far!
Anybody know which race this might be? The photo caption only mentioned that 1967 was the first time NASCAR started using templates of ths type.
Jerry
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, Jerry, I can't remember where I found that one.......... It is either Daytona, Atlanta, or Charlotte. A.J. only ran FIA races in NASCAR in '67 (he was running for the USAC Championship), and I cannot remember any others that were FIA. Pus, no one else drove Banjo's car that year.

EDIT: it could NOT have been the Firecracker since the Fairlane did not have the white sail panel for that race. And I guess I left out Riverside, he ran there.
usa
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Ancient Modeler wrote:

EDIT: it could NOT have been the Firecracker since the Fairlane did not have the white sail panel for that race. And I guess I left out Riverside, he ran there.

Thanks Bill. Actually I think we can possibly eliminate Riverside since there is a photo above in this thread that shows this car running in that race without the bug screen. That leaves Daytona, Atlanta and Charlotte. We might also be able to eliminate Daytona since most if not all Fairlanes in that race had the '66 grille/ headlight configuration. This one is clearly a '67, or at least a '66 in a '67 suit! (See my "Chickens in Duck Suits" commentary in the Darkside '65 Galaxie thread! Laughing )

I think you've really helped narrow it down buddy. Appreciate it. thumbsup

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's some more, hope they help:

Charlotte "National 500", October 1967

1967 "Western Carolina 500"

http://public.fotki.com/nitram22/auto_racing/model_cars-1/
bwagner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:12 am Post subject: Fairlane Photos Reply with quote
Gentlemen,
Thanks for all the Fairlane photos, it doesn't seem that it could be 40 years ago. I am working on a couple of Fred Fairlanes that I first built as a teenager and have been sitting around ever since. Now that my kids are grown, I am able to spend some time trying rebuild them as accurately as possible. Jerry, I did see where the "JR" had disappeared in the one photo and thanks for the Dr. Craft info, I will page him about the interior/trunk and engine comparment colors. Best regards to you all, keep the pictures and info coming.

Bruce
old Freddie Lorenzen fan
Donjdy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:40 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I realize this is a photo of a late model sportsman but it raced at Daytona in 1970. I'm pretty sure it was an old Holman Moody car because the driver was a Ford Factory rep. He used a Mercury body because he was sponsored by a Lincoln Mercury dealer in northern Virginia. I'd like to build this car.

'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Donjdy wrote:
I realize this is a photo of a late model sportsman but it raced at Daytona in 1970.

Its all good. No restrictions on racing class or sanctioning body... well OK no NHRA cars, but as long as its a 66/67 Fairlane or Cyclone, it belongs here.

Thanks for the contribution.

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:18 am Post subject: 66 - 67 Fairlane Decals Reply with quote
Hi All,

I stumbled onto this thread while doing reseach for a Fairlane stock car project. The photos and information that everyone has posted is great.
I didnt see a source for decals for any of these cars and would like to ask for some help identifying a source.

Thanks Mark Misegadis

(I'm an Open Wheel guy if you ignore the 65 Galaxie in the driveway!)
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:53 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are all the photos we have of the Jon Thorne #12 '67 Fairlane driven by Donnie Allison. Allison came to Thorne Enterprises after Lee Roy Yarbrough left to drive for Bud Moore. Allison drove Thorne's #12 Dodge Charger in the 1967 World 600 in his first event with the team. The next race they entered was the Firecracker 400. This was the first outing for the Fairlane. Donnie drove this car for the rest of the '67 season and won the Rookie of the Year.

These two black and whites were taken at the Southern 500. That's Fred Lorenzen doing his part as Pit Reporter getting an interview. In the lower photo you can see Lorenzen again along with Jon Thorne (in the hat handing a hammer to someone) and Bobby Allison standing at the front of the car and helping to change out the battery. Note the right side of the car. Donnie had been earning his "stripes" that day!

These next two color photos above, are video captures courtesy of Handsome Harry. Not sure which race they're from, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say, comparing the photos with the 1st black and white above, and looking at the contingency placement as well as the upper headlight cover being knocked-in that these video captures are from the Southern 500. Just a guess though...

Not sure of the source of these two color shots nor the locations. I believe the video capture is from a program a few years ago on the Speed Channel.

This beautiful shot of the passenger side I believe is from Banjo's 02, as are the detail photos below. Again not sure of the location.

Finally this last shot looks to be from a magazine centerspread (I had to Photoshop out a major white gash in the middle of the photo) not sure again of the details here, who originally posted it nor the magazine it came from or the location of the car when the photo was taken.

All of these photos are posted in the original thread in their original form. These above have been Photoshopped and cleaned up a bit, color corrected as much as possible and clarified to bring out as much detail as possible while maintaining the photo's integrity.

I would like to thank all the contributors to the original discussion thread for not only providing these photos and valuable information about this car and the Thorne Enterprises racing team, but also for those involved in researching this project, which is on-going as this is written. Special thanks goes out to Fallscity48 for starting this whole mess... I mean inquiring about a somewhat obscure Fairlane and getting us all fired up about it. Other contributors who deserve thanks are Banjo's 02, Bill Little, Bill Vaughn, Tom Mooty, Handsome Harry, Genuine Jack, and if I'm leaving someone out I do apologise.

Here's the link to the original discussion thread. Since the research has slowed down a bit and no new items or questions are being posted it will get shuffled down the list. This link will provide a quick access:

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=38339&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Also if anyone comes across any other photos or information about this Fairlane please feel free to post either here or in the original discussion.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:17 pm Post subject: 67 Fairlane colour Reply with quote
Great thread on the 66/67 Fairlanes! I'm looking for information on the color of Pearsons 1967 #17. I've seen various color shots and it looks to be different in each - anything from a pale rose/primrose(y) colour to orangy red - even coppery. This may be the same car/colour that J Clark/Rindt drove (#66).
I know the numbers and "c" pillar panels are gold - wheels where usually silver or gold, interior is grey or body color w/ a black roll cage - but can't nail down the body and interior color to build a model. Is it close (or the same as the Mark IV that ran iat LeMans that year - #3 I believe (andretti/bianchi)?
Does anyone have a color that is close (tamiya, testor etc) or will I be mixing my own? Even a paint code would help!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thaks
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote
The trade name for the paint you're looking for is Emberglo, or Emberglo Metallic. It is a reddish coppery metallic color. See the chart below:

This color was applied to the Jim Clark Fairlane as well as the Pearson Fairlanes. The Clark Fairlane was one of the cars driven by Pearson. Not sure if the white paint was applied just for Jim Clark or if it was an alternate scheme already in place. There are photos of the #17 Fairlane with the white roof, I believe they were taken shortly after Clark's one-time race. I'm not certain when or if the Clark Fairlane was ever repainted with the Emberglo roof.

As to the white on the car, it was definately not Ford's Wimbledon White. It was much brighter. Perhaps someone else more knowledgeable can weigh in with that info. On the interior color, I believe it was a grey spatter paint. Again Mongo, Doc, Luke's 57 etc. all have first hand experience here. What I know I learned from them. (...and a few others too!)

A word about colors and color monitors. No two monitors are adjusted alike. What may look spot-on colorwise on my computer may be completely off on yours. Use the chart as a reference. See how it compares to the other colors relatively speaking, these comparisons will help you develop an image in your mind's eye. Most auto parts stores will order the paint for you if they don't happen to already have it in stock.

Hope this helps.
Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote
After reviewing this sticky and because of a current discussion on the Darkside, I realized there was a serious shortage of David Pearson Fairlane photos. To make amends I did some digging around to see what I could find. Here are the results:

This is the postcard photo showing the paint scheme for the car run in the 1967 Rebel 400 @ Darlington.

In another photo from the Rebel 400 we see Pearson during a pitstop. Notice how David in an attempt to save weight, apparently decided to shed half of his left front fender! Laughing

Here's a closeup of the same pitstop (probably taken by the Stock Car Racing photog in the previous pic). Note the details on the side of the car. Anyone know what the checkered decal is just to the right of the "17"? A photo maybe?

In this photo we see the most common paint scheme for Pearson's Fairlanes. I have no details as to where or when this photo was taken.

Here we see Pearson during a pitstop in the 1967 Southern 500 at Darlington. Note the paint/lettering scheme here and how it differs from the Rebel 400 version. Note how someone's been helping David along during the race by adjusting his right rear fender!

Finally we have a photo of Pearson driving the car that Jim Clark drove, and still wearing the white roof scheme. Note the forward slant on the door panel numbers. Also can anyone help with the color of the roof number?

I also thought it would be helpful here to post photos of the decal sheets that can be use replicate the Pearson/ Clark Fairlanes. While the Blue Ridge sheet is regarded as the definitive version it has been out of production for some time now and is hard to find. If someone out there has one I would like to ask if you could post a scan of the sheet just to give us a more complete reference. Meanwhile here's what's out there right now:

This is the Dave Romero sheet for the Jim Clark Fairlane. It can also be used in combination with the next sheet to approximate the more common Pearson scheme.

This is Slixx sheet "P". It has the numbers you'll need for the Pearson car.

This is Slixx sheet "G". It has Pearson's name in the lower right corner that is not exact, but it is close to the font style used on the Fairlanes. Also it has the LaFayette Ford (the little ones in white) that could be used for the Rebel 400 version, but the big caveat there is they're the wrong color. They should be gold tone like the sail panels or the door numbers. It does have a correct "FORD" in the up/down style with the proper drop shadows however... I guess that's a plus. Also the numbers on the "P" sheet aren't exact either. They are missing a subtle sort of goldish/white highlight along the right edge. Refer to the closeup pitstop photo above.
There's a few other decal sheets out there that can be used to cobble together the various contingencies and "Competition Proven" logos. If I can find them I'll post them for reference. A final comment on the Rebel 400 scheme, I have found no source for the gold Lafayette Ford logo, nor the "Built by Sully & McCall" lettering in front of the door. You're kind of on you're own for those. Stay tuned...

Here's a couple more Pearson photos that were posted in the current discussion thread in the Darkside:

Thanks to Hugh (Banjo's 02) for being in the right place at the right time with his camera, and thanks to Mongo for posting.

Last edited by '67 Fairlane on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
BrittB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Was there ever a sheet done for the #27 AJ Foyt Fairlane shown at the top of this page?
'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote
BrittB wrote:
Was there ever a sheet done for the #27 AJ Foyt Fairlane shown at the top of this page?

The short answer is "no".

However (like anything there's always a "however") if you're willing to compromise, and be creative you might get close. First the bad news. You're most likely on your own for the "Sheraton Thompson" shown on the car you referenced or the "Sheraton Thompson Spl" shown on the dirt track version on Page 1. I've not seen that sponsor reproduced anywhere. Not saying it hasn't been, just that I haven't seen it.
Now for the so-so news. The numbers and many of the other sponsors can be found on decals made by Fred Cady (still available from SMH) JNJ and Slixx even produced a set for the Polar Lights Donnie Allison Talladega. Here's the so-so part. No one seems to have rendered the numbers quite correctly. So you'll have to compromise here. For the Fairlane I'd say the JNJ sheet comes the closest. To my eye the biggest issue is with the "7s" on the door panels. On the decal sheets they're shown with a nice graceful curve in their legs, but a close look at the photo says they were straight-legged 7's. At some point I'm sure that some of these cars may have had bent legged ones but I haven't seen any...yet. Also there is an issue with the size and rendering of the drop shadows and in some cases whether there was or wasn't a black border around the digits opposite the drop shadows. A look at the Polar Lights sheet shows that they don't think there should be one, whereas the Cady and JNJ sheets have it. From the photo above it looks like this Fairlane had the borders. Also Foyt's name or signature will have to be gleaned from somewhere else because none of the sheets I mentioned have it. Its possible the Cady sheet might. I don't have one in-hand and from looking at the scan on the SMH site I can't tell who's name is on it. Might ask Ronnie if you decide you want to buy one. I don't know if Cherry Run ever did a set. I did check the D.A.P. listing on the SMH website (D.A.P. bought the Cherry Run line of decals) and they don't show anything for this car either. The JNJ decals are still available from J&S Resins. It is possible that Slixx took a stab at this car under their own brand name. I can't say for sure. SMH (again) has an extensive inventory of Slixx decals and its possible he may have one if they exist. The unfortunate thing there is unless you have the Slixx part number you'll have to run through the entire inventory until you get a hit. There's no quick way to search.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a Firestone decal behind the #17 on the door in that one photo.

I think most, if not all of Banjo's cars used the same font and style for the lettering. It was a vinyl printed decal, so it didn't vary like the hand-lettered cars did.

"You should never point a loaded gun at anyone. This is not a hard and fast rule, however. A hard and fast rule is that you should never, ever, point an unloaded gun at anyone." P.J. O'Rourke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calhoun
PostPosted: Fri A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll add some more Fairlanes that I don't think have been posted before.

Stickied

Last edited by 67 Fairlane on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:57 pm; edited 7 times in total
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll add some more Fairlanes that I don't think have been posted before.

Cale at Rockingham with a different scheme on the c-post. (SEE NOTE)

NOTE: THE ABOVE PHOTO RESTORED BY CALHOUN, THANKS BUDDY!.

Mario in the above mentioned #114 at Riverside.

Pearson and Foyt.

Darel Dieringer in Junior's car. Haven't seen many of this car.

Fred making a pit stop at Bristol. I thought the view from behind might help.

Last edited by Calhoun on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calhoun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh yeah, almost forgot these. I've read a lot about the #41 Fairlane but never saw any photos. I found these recently.

CALHOUN - YOU DID IT AGAIN MY FRIEND, THANKS FOR RECOVERING THIS..

'67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Calhoun! You rock buddy!! If you have any others please post!! And thank you very much!!

The Andretti photo in the #114 is kind of a Holy Grail for me. I've been looking for photos of this car but haven't come up with any. I thought maybe a few years ago I'd seen a photo of it taken from the rear as it was going away, but haven't been able to find it again. Seems everyone was interested in PJ instead of Mario during that race.

Thanks again!
Jerry[/b]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:18 am Post subject: FAAIIIIRRRRLLLLLAAAANNNNEEEESSSSSSS! Reply with quote
Ca couple of notes on the most recent posts.

On the Turner fairlane, which was , IIRC, the first one ever built by H-M, the numbers and hood call-oouts are red with a black outline. Ditto the FORD on the rear quarters.

On Cae's #21, also note the red FORD lettering on the lower left QP.

And, the shot of Lorenzen at Bristol is, I believe, his last race ever! in the HM # 28!

Have sorted through most of my stuff, still some left to be moved in, but workshop is just about set up close to where I want it....just need to fine-tune a few things!!
Calhoun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:09 am Post subject: Re: FAAIIIIRRRRLLLLLAAAANNNNEEEESSSSSSS! Reply with quote
RayH wrote:
And, the shot of Lorenzen at Bristol is, I believe, his last race ever! in the HM # 28!

Close. He ran one more race after that - Atlanta.

I found this pretty amazing looking at his stats. I show he made 102 starts in the #28 H-M Ford in his career. He had 84 top five starts and 99 top ten starts! Two of the races he failed to start in the top ten were Daytona 500s when he had problems in the 100-mile qualifying races. (1962 and 1964.) The only time he actually qualified out of the top ten in the #28 was at the 1965 Atlanta 500, where he started 17th and finished 16th when he was involved in an accident.

What an amazing record. That doesn't count the races he ran in other cars, just the 28. He even ran two other races for H-M, the '62 World 600 in the #0 and a race at Richmond in a number 26. But what impressive numbers in the 28 that we all associate him with.
ediskrad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:24 am Post subject: Fairlane Interior Photo behind driver seat Reply with quote
The item in the interior shot in the Fairlane thread shows the extinquisher bottle and another item...is this the rear end cooler, under a sheet metal enclosure? Thanks.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
You mean this photo?

That appears to be a tunnel or duct to route air to a cooler mounted underneath the car. That's the way it was mounted on the Galaxies, at some point around this time they went to the system of mounting the cooler inside a box in the car with a fan blowing air across the cooler and exiting under the car.

Ancient Modeler
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the '66 Season, Fall Rockingham, when Ford returned, so it didn't run a LOT of races. The car at Charlotte in '66 for the Fall National 500 had a red dash. The '66 Fairlane also had metallic gold door numbers, not gold foil like in 1967. The sponsor also changed in '67 to Ron's Ford.

Mongo
usa

Last edited by 67 Fairlane on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought add a few "new" Jim Clark Fairlane photos into the mix just for fun...

This is Jim and Wendell Scott

Here's a nice frontal shot that's well lit. Modelers take notice; they ran a "bug screen" on this car which was fairly common during the 60's.

Too many cars and too many Type-A personalities trying to occupy too little space at the same time! Clark manages to by-pass this mess...

A nice right side profile

Cheer up Jim, you're in NASCAR now, you only have to make left turns!

"OK Mr. Clark we got your car up on the tow wagon; here's the estimated bill for repairs on the car
plus the towing charges. Do you have Triple-A by any chance?"

Here's one I know was kicking around one of the previous threads. That's Jim Clark side-by-side with Bobby Johns.

Last edited by 67 Fairlane on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post.Bill Little would just love you!!!
Bill
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Great post.Bill Little would just love you!!!
Bill

Bill Little and Jerry Sims were 2 guys that I often found inspiration from and we shared not only a love for those "Little Fords" but I found a couple of kindred spirits in the sense of humor department as well. When I first joined this board, those two decided to have a little fun with this new-guy; often testing my knowledge and my perception.

Bill and Jerry possessed not only a great amount of knowledge of Darkside NASCAR history but Jerry was also a virtuoso with a camera(and by extension "Photoshop").

This was Ancient Modeler's avatar for sometime. Jerry managed to insert Bill and himself into the photo.

Another of my favorites was this photo of the Curtis Turner Fairlane. It's a model on a diorama, but you wouldn't notice unless you really looked at it. Both of them had me going for days trying to "guess" which racetrack it was taken at! LOL!
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lest we make this thread ALL about Fairlanes... I found some really nice photos of the Bud Moore #16 Cyclone driven by Bobby Allison:

Yes, I know this one was posted earlier in this thread, but I thought some added color would be nice!

This one's from Riverside

The year before the #16 '66 Cyclone was driven by Darel Dierenger. Here's some photos of his car:

67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received some great new pics of the Jon Thorne/ Donnie Allison #12 Fairlane. You can thank FallsCity48 for these!

Here's a nice clean photo of Donnie by the left rear quarter panel at Bristol

Next we have a couple of shots of Donnie taking the track at Darlington

As great as this stuff is, this next set of photos really makes the case for me taking the plunge into social media. FallsCity said he found these on some guy's Facebook page:

Notice the fender flare.

Now apparently this person just has this stuff hanging up in his garage. I was amazed! But nothing so far tops this next photo:

Yeah, its the invoice to Jet Racing Enterprises for the purchase of 1ea. CH7M-10105-GN Fairlane 2 DR HT USED RACE CAR! For the grand sum of $12,150.00, and it's signed by Mario Rossi!

Dr. Craft himself would be impressed with this find! Very Happy

Thanks again FallsCity48!
Henryjint

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Thanks for sharing!
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryjint wrote:
WOW! Thanks for sharing!

I wish I could take credit. But the true credit goes to FallsCity48.

I cannot adequately express my thanks to him for all the help he has given on this and other projects over the years. Every now and again he comes up with little gems like this last group of photos that are just amazing.

I'm just a conduit or at best, a willing accomplice.

Jerry
Slim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread and photos. Very comprehensive! Thanks for posting!
R.J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calhoun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more I've found over the last 10 years. I hope I'm not duplicating any that have been posted.

FallsCity48

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calhoun wrote:
Here are a few more I've found over the last 10 years. I hope I'm not duplicating any that have been posted.

Russ, your post is a site for sore old eyes... I pray you are doing well!!
I hope you haven't bought your season soccer tickets yet Laughing
I haven't !!!!!!!!!
scooter64

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the original post by '67 Fairlane in 2007. found on Wayback Machine

first page only...

http://bit.ly/2CkCycr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Calhoun Thanks for posting those great photos. I wouldn't worry too much about duplication, it's going to happen from time to time. I'm just happy to get all you Darksiders fired up again!! (Especially Tony!)

Scooter64: Thanks for posting the link to my old original post. I thought about doing that, then forgot. So instead, I copy/pasted the whole thing here. That way I could easily replace any of the photos lost from the Photobucket debacle and in some cases trade out an old poor-quality photo for a better one that I may have found since then. I should mention that often in the case of these longer threads Way Back will only archive the first page or 2. I checked the Way Back version against the pdf version I saved and it looks as though it is complete. (Text-wise).

Glad you guys are finding some value in all this. What pleases me most is we are able to expand this thread with new content. I hope we can all build this collection from here with more photos, discussion and information.

Thanks to all of you! This is a team effort, with your continued support and input, this can amount to something great!
Jerry
Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since AMT does a nice Fairlane, which has been re-released again, and they did a nice 67 Cyclone, we need to talk them into doing the 66 Cyclone, all they need is a few parts to separate it from the 67.

Sure wish I had bought one of the SMH resin 66 Cyclones. I looked at it numerous times and always thought I'd get one someday. Then they were gone Sad

67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Since AMT does a nice Fairlane, which has been re-released again, and they did a nice 67 Cyclone, we need to talk them into doing the 66 Cyclone, all they need is a few parts to separate it from the 67.

Sure wish I had bought one of the SMH resin 66 Cyclones. I looked at it numerous times and always thought I'd get one someday. Then they were gone Sad

Bill: Thanks for the pics! I'm with you lamenting the fact that I put off getting a '66 Cyclone (resin or otherwise!) Never pays to procrastinate Laughing

Thanks to everyone else too for posting new pics! ...and nice ones too! I'm impressed with the enthusiasm and the desire to expand this thread beyond it's original status. Group hug?? Laughing
67 Fairlane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In doing further research for this thread I came across quite a few photos of the '67 Fairlane driven by Mario Andretti in the Motor Trend 500 at Riverside that year. This car had the exact reverse paint scheme of his more popular team mate Parnelli Jones.

As far as I know only 1 set of decals has been produced for this car; an ALPS set by Winscals. You may need 2 of these sets because they are thin and the red color may show through the white numbers. No white "underlay" is included so you'll have to double-up on the decals themselves. Also it is missing the number that goes on the trunk of the car (which was standard NASCAR policy of the time). You can either buy another couple of ALPS decals or you can maybe "borrow" some numbers from the Powerslide set for the Stroppe '63-'64 Big Mercs. Anyway here's the Winscals set below:

Sorry I'll get a better quality scan of this set but this will do for now....

Just re-posting this photo from the original thread. Up until now this has been the only representation of this car

A closeup of Mario in his red Fairlane before it was re-numbered to 114.

Good photos of the Andretti car at Riverside are not as easily found as are photos of the #115 Parnelli Jones car. Jones was clearly the "Hero of the Day" as he won the Riverside race. Photos of his car abound. Later at Daytona where Andretti won, you can find many more pics of that car.

Another note of interest is that the photo showing the Andretti car with #114 on the door still shows #14 on the roof. I believe it was completely renumbered by the time the race started however as was the Parnelli Jones car. Haven't been able to locate any other pics of the #114 yet but will post them when or if I do.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really need some interior shots of behind the seat area. If anyone has some, please add them to this thread. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: