Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bobby Allison Charger 500... HEMI or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison Charger 500... HEMI or not? Reply with quote

I know the brothers from Hueytown pretty much bought and drove whatever they could get their hands on and were low buck, all the way.

This begs the question, did they ever run a HEMI? Specifically in the 1969 1/2 Charger 500?

While working up these other projects, I decided to also dig out my 500 conversion and get it going. It will be a speedway car so, any engine help is appreciated.
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there any other Chrysler NASCAR engine choice at the time?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
Was there any other Chrysler NASCAR engine choice at the time?
Of course. Max wedge and small block. I just figured maybe, since they were essentially operating on a shoestring budget, maybe they didn't run one because of cost?
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked on the interwebs and everything i found, related to a “Bobby Allison 1969” search showed a “426” on the hood, except for a winged car showing “305” branding. The blue and gold #22 was all “426”
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I feel like a dope! I guess I could have just looked at the hood, huh? SHEESH! Thanks for the heads up. Cheers!
john843

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the short period of time that the 500 was legal- '69 and '70, Bobby was driving Mario Rossi's car (500 and wing car). Since Rossi was at least to some extent, a factory-backed operation, I would guess they had whatever motors suited the situation in the races Bobby ran for him
Apparently, in the '69 season Allison ran only a couple of races on his own. According to Racing Reference, in the '70 season he ran around 20 races (GN) that Rossi wasn't listed as car owner. With Bobby's status as a Chryco factory driver and his fan appeal at the time, I wouldn't be surprised if Dodge managed to slip him a little help for his own efforts.

John
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby ran Hemi power. The 305 was ran at Daytona in 1971 I believe when Dick Brooks was driving for Rossi. I read in Bobbys autobiography he had to buy short blocks from Petty Enterprises. On one occasion one showed up missing a connecting rod and piston. Honest oversight I'm sure. His autobiography is title "High banks and fast turns". Bobby didn't think much of Cotton Owens or Waddell Wilson. Interesting read.
odcics2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
Bobby ran Hemi power. The 305 was ran at Daytona in 1971 I believe when Dick Brooks was driving for Rossi. I read in Bobbys autobiography he had to buy short blocks from Petty Enterprises. On one occasion one showed up missing a connecting rod and piston. Honest oversight I'm sure. His autobiography is title "High banks and fast turns". Bobby didn't think much of Cotton Owens or Waddell Wilson. Interesting read.

Cotton told me Bobby thought a lot of himself...
Cotton didn't like Bobby!!

(look up Bobby's record when he drove for Cotton)
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:
Mack wrote:

Cotton told me Bobby thought a lot of himself...
Cotton didn't like Bobby!!

(look up Bobby's record when he drove for Cotton)

I read Bobbys side of the story in his autobiography. Never heard or read anything from Cotton. Most pro athletes have a high opinion of themselves. Kinda comes with the territory.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all the driver's I ever got to meet, I never got to meet Bobby. Was nearby once in Atlanta but never got to meet him. Darrell? Really nice guy, high energy. Rusty Wallace? Genuine. Cale Yarborough?... Jovial. (Off track only!) And the late, great Dick Trickle. I don't feel right saying anything about him or Dale Sr. as they've passed. OH! And Buddy Baker, completely by mistake! Wonderful guy!

I exclude the Petty's only because everyone's pretty aware of their personalities to begin with.

I have heard of Bobby's attitude towards himself before though. I can see it. I mean who else would end his race a half lap early just to go thump the guy who hit his brother?
BW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone really wants to know the true story about Bobby Allison, I would highly recommend his autobiography entitled Bobby Allison: A Racer's Racer written by Bobby and Tim Packman. Try to find a copy that includes the CD that Bobby narrated himself. Listening to that CD will quickly clarify any opinions and old worn out memories people have concerning Bobby. It did mine. It's a fantastic read and listen.

Bobby

BTW Adam, Mack is correct: Hemi powered.
odcics2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW wrote:
If anyone really wants to know the true story about Bobby Allison, I would highly recommend his autobiography entitled Bobby Allison: A Racer's Racer written by Bobby and Tim Packman. Try to find a copy that includes the CD that Bobby narrated himself. Listening to that CD will quickly clarify any opinions and old worn out memories people have concerning Bobby. It did mine. It's a fantastic read and listen.

Bobby

Just curious: Does he talk about going 200 before Baker??
Mack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:
BW wrote:

Bobby

I haven't read this book. But he did cover that topic in the book I read. It was interesting.
BW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:
BW wrote:

Bobby

Not on the CD but Bobby devotes an entire chapter (Chapter 22) in the book about being the first to break 200 mph. He goes into some great details about what he did different to break the 200 mark.

On the CD, Bobby goes into great detail about all the car owners he drove for. In particular, the Cotton Owens episode, is very informative. I've read most all the books about Bobby but this one, to me, is the best. I highly recommend to any nascar fan and not just a Bobby Allison fan.
Bobby
odcics2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth:

I have the original data sheets for the testing the guys did at Talladega, near the end of August, 1969, prior to the first race.

Bobby's absolute best lap was in the 198 range.
Nobody broke 200. Nobody.

If anyone is interested, PM me your number and I'll text the documents to you.
Toys4Don

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, I got the A Racers Racer book with CD last year at a car show thrift sale for $1 last year. I’m definitely going to read/listen now!!
Aero426

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:
For what it's worth:

I have the original data sheets for the testing the guys did at Talladega, near the end of August, 1969, prior to the first race.

Bobby's absolute best lap was in the 198 range.
Nobody broke 200. Nobody.

If anyone is interested, PM me your number and I'll text the documents to you.

The above post is truth.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Well now I feel like a dope! I guess I could have just looked at the hood, huh? SHEESH! Thanks for the heads up. Cheers!

Smart aleck...
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Smart aleck...
I know, I can't help myself sometimes. Especially when I do something so boneheaded! The decals arrived later that day after I posted and looking at them I just know I turned red from embarrassment. Embarassed What a way to start the year right?
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
18degrees wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Smart aleck...
I know, I can't help myself sometimes. Especially when I do something so boneheaded! The decals arrived later that day after I posted and looking at them I just know I turned red from embarrassment. Embarassed What a way to start the year right?

Wow 2/2 your batting 1.000% with this.

I simply stated that I didn’t see anything online except 426 and 305. Then you hopped on and replied, being belittling. Sorry for giving input.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:
18degrees wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Smart aleck...

Wow 2/2 your batting 1.000% with this.

I simply stated that I didn’t see anything online except 426 and 305. Then you hopped on and replied, being belittling. Sorry for giving input.
I'm sorry I came across that way. You answered my question, then I realized my mistake. I think you're reading too much into it. If anything I've been deprecating to myself. Don't know what else to say about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: