Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Results of the "Ghost White" printer...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI, your decals will only be as good as the graphics you create. Paint, Powerpoint, and Word are not going to give you good decals. A good vector program is the only way to go.
mprmprmpr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mprmprmpr wrote:
I have some extra Tango Papa blue backed laser paper I'd sell. I can't use it with my printer. PM me if anyone is interested.

The decal paper has been sold...

MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if the printer has to be connected to a p.c. or can I just use a thumb drive to input the decal graphics to the printer. In other words create the decals on a computer and then download the decal graphics to the thumb drive and then plug in the thumb drive to the printer. That way the printer can sit away from my p.c. and I can leave my present printer connected to it.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wired connection, usb thumb drive, or wireless printing. It explains it all in the directions for the printer.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decals below were done with Powerpoint and I'm pretty happy with them. Depends on how exotic your tastes may be. I'm doing old school cars done with brush type graphics many of which can be closely replicated using various fonts. Can I do exotic wraps like are being done on cars today, oh hell no.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look good Dennis....whatever works for you!!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching this thread with interest. I have been fumbling through with aftermarket paper and home made decals for years. I understand the desire for nicely registered decals and I'm certain you'll get it down. What you've done so far looks excellent. I might have to invest in one of these myself.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
Just an FYI, your decals will only be as good as the graphics you create. Paint, Powerpoint, and Word are not going to give you good decals. A good vector program is the only way to go.

Any idea about Photoshop CC?

I work with a lot of editorial and commercial designers and this is the go-to tool for a lot of design work.

I have never shared professional contact with anyone using the programs you've listed above. Well, Powerpoint for presentations but never for serious design work.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bangor boy wrote:
Brandon Miller wrote:

I work with a lot of editorial and commercial designers and this is the go-to tool for a lot of design work.

I have never shared professional contact with anyone using the programs you've listed above. Well, Powerpoint for presentations but never for serious design work.

I use Photoshop and Illustrator. Below is how I lay out artwork in Photoshop. My template is sized correctly to the model and/or diecast I am working on. I use a lot of grid lines and tons of layers so artwork can be moved around and turned on and off.

Retro_Racing_Replicas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: decals Reply with quote

more comments about this printer...

I had the box truck deliver my printer in Dec. it was a dud, had burning smell of a broken gear or something. Sent it back to the store and wanted to get one there, and first time no insurance... Second one I did add insurance!

Next inquiry, it does print white well, had some photos, but they are posted on Facebook.

The printer settings have been used as glossy, transparent and had no issues, but forgot and used plain white setting and it smeared terrible.

Today I put the decal sheet in from Incal, and the decal printed and jammed, causing a half printed image, later I re printed and same issue it aborted?

What is the suggested settings

Quote:
One thing I have done is started using the "printing shortcuts" that can be found under "printer properties". It allows you to create a printing profile and save it to be used again. It keeps you from having to enter the page setup parameters every time. I have one Called "White Toner Manual Feed Decal Paper". Whenever I want to do a pass I use that preset. The presets I'm using are Letter Size, Manual Feed, Medium Weight Paper, Both sides is NO, Print in Grayscale is set to Black only (which is really white only).

another thing is when I try to run consecutive prints, the rollers have imprinted the prior print onto the new decal. Did numerous cleaning pages to try to correct this, it takes a few to show a clean paper.

some of these errors may be using it in a warm room, paper curling, and just improper settings, because I have about 5 good decals printed, the last printout, but I have used black printing as well as full color.

Should I use this one only for white? Use my other HP for colors sheets? So many variables to work out?

When it works well, you get a good print sheet, but as described above I have had the decal being applied to the car, and without clear coating prior to application, the toner rubbed off while dabbing out the water on the decal.

Should we all get a Sticky of step by step how to, and a list of things to keep in mind to achieve the best results. Hate to lose a sheet of paper to errors, but It is part of the learning curve.

Chime in everyone that is an expert decal maker, or has this setup.

thanks!
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As new as this set up is, I don't think anyone has graduated to expert status. I think we are all fumbling through trying different techniques and learning from our mistakes. I'll see if I can create a sticky where people can post what worked and didn't work using this printer and toner.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created a sticky in the NASCAR Modeling Discussion to share tips & tricks to try and get the most out the the printer and toner system.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
bangor boy wrote:
Brandon Miller wrote:

I use Photoshop and Illustrator. Below is how I lay out artwork in Photoshop. My template is sized correctly to the model and/or diecast I am working on. I use a lot of grid lines and tons of layers so artwork can be moved around and turned on and off.

Liking that.

And that - Photoshop - is where I can most relate to.

From the grids to color control/levels to shaping/warping lines. And font creation.

Created a custom diecast for a client 7-8 years ago in this program and it's where I'm most at home and want to work moving forward. Thanks for this.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
I have created a sticky in the NASCAR Modeling Discussion to share tips & tricks to try and get the most out the the printer and toner system.

Thanks, Dennis. Hope this helps me get my stuff going.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Carmichael wrote:
I just got my HP M254DW printer set up over the weekend. I wanted to do a test print with decals for a white car first. When applying the decal, it folded over a bit (operator error) and once I got it straightened out the toner had come off in the spots where it folded. Also, when using a decal that wrapped around the front of the car the toner seemed to come off in spots where the paper curved around the car body. Maybe it's the decal paper I'm using (Bare Metal Foil Experts Choice 123 clear) or my printer settings. Have any of you with this printer experienced this?

Yes, and I'm seeing that the "experts choice" is no better then the micro mark paper. And I'm thinking the tango papa will not be any better. Oh well I can always print documents with this laser printer. I think I will make white background decals with the laser printer and use the ink jet printer to make the color decals. That should work.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
I just got my HP M254DW printer set up over the weekend. I wanted to do a test print with decals for a white car first. When applying the decal, it folded over a bit (operator error) and once I got it straightened out the toner had come off in the spots where it folded. Also, when using a decal that wrapped around the front of the car the toner seemed to come off in spots where the paper curved around the car body. Maybe it's the decal paper I'm using (Bare Metal Foil Experts Choice 123 clear) or my printer settings. Have any of you with this printer experienced this?

Yes, and I'm seeing that the "experts choice" is no better then the micro mark paper. And I'm thinking the tango papa will not be any better. Oh well I can always print documents with this laser printer. I think I will make white background decals with the laser printer and use the ink jet printer to make the color decals. That should work.
That is a surprise to me. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this printer. I'm out of ideas. Sad
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

That is a surprise to me. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this printer. I'm out of ideas. Sad

Thanks, Adam. Its all good. I resized my sheets for printing on my inkjet printer and like I said I can make the underlay sheets with the laser printer so it will be just like using inkjet decals on a white model. this white model came out pretty good with inkjet decals.

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seal all my laser decals with Testors #1261. It adds thickness which makes them less prone to the folding and it keeps the toner from flaking off. Having said that, if the fusing drum is set hot enough it should fuse the toner better. It's a fine line though, some decal film can't handle the high temps.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since going to a laser method I have used OKI printers. GREAT print quality and I have never had any flaking issues.
That said I am now having issue finding decal paper that will run through it. Most melts and jams. Bel paper worked for 20+ years...now I am not sure what to do.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
I seal all my laser decals with Testors #1261. It adds thickness which makes them less prone to the folding and it keeps the toner from flaking off.

I agree about a good sealer coat. I have used Krylon Crystal Clear. You can build up a thick protective bond layer with it. I'd personally experiment with bonders in varying thicknesses.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Tom M. wrote:
I seal all my laser decals with Testors #1261. It adds thickness which makes them less prone to the folding and it keeps the toner from flaking off.

I agree about a good sealer coat. I have used Krylon Crystal Clear. You can build up a thick protective bond layer with it. I'd personally experiment with bonders in varying thicknesses.

Bill , is krylon crystal clear lacquer or enamel?
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Firefly wrote:
Tom M. wrote:

https://www.krylon.com/products/crystal-clear-acrylic/
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Firefly wrote:
Tom M. wrote:

https://www.krylon.com/products/crystal-clear-acrylic/

Thanks, Brandon. Thats good news. The 1261 can make the ink run on ink jet decals and even made the toner run a little on the last sheet i applied it to.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the acrylic Krylon Crystal Clear, I usually do a light first coat, as a precaution, then when dry, give a heavy coat. I love that it dries so quickly.
I have also used it as a clear coat for finished bodies.
It does have a very STRONG smell when spraying it though.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
With the acrylic Krylon Crystal Clear, I usually do a light first coat, as a precaution, then when dry, give a heavy coat. I love that it dries so quickly.
I have also used it as a clear coat for finished bodies.
It does have a very STRONG smell when spraying it though.

Thanks for the tips , Bill. I think I bought a can once but never used it. I hope I can find it. Where do you purchase yours?
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's available pretty much anywhere you can get Krylon; Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Amazon, etc.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
It's available pretty much anywhere you can get Krylon; Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Amazon, etc.

Ok, thank Brandon.
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Where do you purchase yours?

Sorry for my delays, I probably got mine from an art supply place, or maybe Amazon, I have purchased more than once. Michaels should carry it.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Where do you purchase yours?

Sorry for my delays, I probably got mine from an art supply place, or maybe Amazon, I have purchased more than once. Michaels should carry it.

Thanks, Bill. I found my old can of Krylon clear gloss but it doesnt say acrylic anywhere on it. I wonder if its the same product? I had an extra laser sheet I printed out and tryed it on it. It worked much nicer then the testors 1261 did . no flaking off and no folding over or under when applying the decal.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to printing a decal sheet last night. Super crisp lines and details. I'm happy.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news...can we see??? Also which printer are you using? Thx
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
Finally got around to printing a decal sheet last night. Super crisp lines and details. I'm happy.

Great news. Cant wait to see it.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you learn along the way, please share with us newbie decal makers.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will post a pic of my 2nd print as my clear was too hot for the decals and caused the red toner to run.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for just now getting this posted, but here is my print from my laser. I have a few spots to touch up.

MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered my ghost white toner today. Supposed to be here by Friday. the model I'm putting them on should be finished today .
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes!!!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Let us know how it goes!!!

Unless its a total failure. I will post a finished shot here and a bunch of shots in the showroom. It should work out fine. the printer printed out a nice black sheet of images so I should be able to get that same sheet in white just by putting the white toner in the printer. But i've been surprised before so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't the best place for this but, I wonder if one of you might do some decals for me? They would be white only, repeating images, one sheet. Contact me if you're willing. Smile
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its done guys. More pictures in the showroom. I think i have some room for improvement on the next build. Learned a lot from this one. Sure was a lot easier then making ink jet decals and printing them on white paper and then trying to trim them on the model.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good Sir!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what's left of the decal sheets. If you notice the spots on the white sheet, I put a mark at the top of the sheet with a ball point pen to make sure I put it in correctly for the second pass. I found out the hard way you shouldnt do that . the printer melted the ink and the roller on the toner put it down 3 more times till it went away. luckily it didnt damage the toner. Bonehead move on my part.

Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you are still having registration and alignment issues with the color over white.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
I see you are still having registration and alignment issues with the color over white.

I dont know how your seeing that because I havent tryed it yet. those are 2 completley different files. one is a color file and the other is a totally black file that prints out white. there's no way those 2 files are going to align. i did the model cady style. putting the white images down first and then the colored images. I have said I will try it on the next build.
Brandon Miller

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Brandon Miller wrote:

I dont know how your seeing that because I havent tryed it yet. those are 2 completley different files. one is a color file and the other is a totally black file that prints out white. there's no way those 2 files are going to align. i did the model cady style. putting the white images down first and then the colored images. I have said I will try it on the next build.

I was assuming (shame on me) you printed over white since I could see this misalignment on the finished model.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Miller wrote:
MarkJ wrote:
Brandon Miller wrote:

I was assuming (shame on me) you printed over white since I could see this misalignment on the finished model.

Yes the misalingment was my fault for not lining them up better and also because the file changed a little in size from color to white. The white images were just a little bigger then the color. I'm sure the register will not be that great on my next build but i still want to try it.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unless I purchase a new program my decal making days are over. My 20 year old program finally bit the big one. It started telling me that my scratch disks were full and i needed to delete some files. I deleted plenty of files but it still keeps telling me that they are full. which I know isnt the case. It will let me do a few functions like line and color change but it wont let me do the brush function or copy and paste which is very important when doing decals. Any suggestions on a new program thats easy to learn and not too expensive? If not I just wasted a lot of money on this printer and ghost white toner.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

google 'free vector software'
MarkJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
google 'free vector software'

Ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: