Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inexpensive airbrush suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Inexpensive airbrush suggestions Reply with quote

I have a small jar of Tamiya acrylic clear yellow that i only need to use to paint some 3D printed brake ducts for my 1/12 Ferrari F1 build in the future. I thought about brush painting them, but I think i would rather spray it thru an airbrush. I am a rattle can painter so I don’t own an airbrush.

Any thoughts about those cheapo Testors ones at Hobby Lobby that work via a can of compressed air?

And also... what does it take to thin Tamiya acrylic? Is it necessary or can it be sprayed straight from the jar?

Thanks
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to think about one of those Testors units that runs off the air can is as a mix-it-yourself spray can. As with a spray can, you won't have the fine control over air pressure that an airbrush/regulated air source system would give you, so the paint may come out a little forcefully (which may cause issues depending on the method you paint with and the paint you use). But if you just have something that needs a simple coat of a single color, and if you don't see yourself airbrushing a lot, you should be fine. But if airbrushing becomes something you do more, it's definitely time to move up.

Whatever system you go with, the key is practice. Practice painting pieces of cardboard, scrap parts from your spares box, etc., until you find a paint mixture that works best and you are comfortable with what you're doing.

I got my start with airbrushing in the early '90s with one of those $12 Testors spray guns that worked off an air can, and within a couple years graduated to an air tank and a proper regulated airbrush. It helped me get my start, so they do have a purpose.

Tamiya acrylic definitely needs to be thinned before airbrushing. The general rule is to thin paint to the consistency of milk. I have used distilled water to thin Tamiya paints, but the best results come from thinning with Tamiya's thinner.

Jodie Peeler
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a couple of these and for starting out and learning they did ok....

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=airbrush
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Dennis on the HarborFreight AB. Don't go with one of the cheap plastic brushes unless you only want to use it once and throw it away.
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
I have used a couple of these and for starting out and learning they did ok....

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=airbrush

Either I didn’t look in the right place, or the description didn’t have it listed, but does that item require a compressor or a can of propellant?
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
I'm with Dennis on the HarborFreight AB. Don't go with one of the cheap plastic brushes unless you only want to use it once and throw it away.

That’s actually the gist. Was only planning on using it for this one small project, then going back to rattle cans.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

That’s actually the gist. Was only planning on using it for this one small project, then going back to rattle cans.
Okay, hopefully this one foray into airbrushing will convince you to try more. I have not seen the air brushes at my local lately. Perhaps they no longer carry them. All AB's can be used with propellant or a compressor, it just depends on the connection to the hose. The cheapo Testors kits usually come with the hose and propellant in one set but I doubt you'll be happy with the results. For the acrylic clear I would suggest thinning it down and brushing it on if it's for duct hoses.
kurth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good quality, but inexpensive choice which might be perfect for you is a badger 350, single action. It is similar in design to the Paasche H, but you also get the can and a bottle, and a color cup for $47

https://smile.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-350-3-Airbrush/dp/B000BIBLOK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=350-3+Medium+Head+Airbrush+Set+with+Propel&qid=1578731506&sr=8-1

and from USA Airbrush supply, a great source for badger airbrushes and parts:

https://usaairbrushsupply.com/products/350-3-medium-head-propel

The cans do not last too long, and can be hard to regulate the pressure, but this is a solid set. Badger stands behind its products.

I have no affiliation with badger other than being a satisfied customer. I have not used this particular one though.

I hope it helps.

Last edited by kurth on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
KenK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good advice here:

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: