Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donnie Allison's Hawaiian Tropic Red Color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Donnie Allison's Hawaiian Tropic Red Color Reply with quote

I know this has been beat around so many times probably to the point of "ad nauseam." I still don't think we ever came to a consensus as to what color red was the best match. So....I'm tossing it up again. Thoughts and opinions on what is the best color match for the Hawaiian Tropic Red. This could be interesting. Let's roll!

Some photos to help:

[img]

[img] [img]
[/img]

Thanks!
Bobby
18degrees

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW Early Ferrari red
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else said colonial red.....I bought some..yet to test it.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my eye, it's Floquil Southern Pacific Scarlet Red over grey primer !!! Laughing
BW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red over Tamiya Fine Gray Primer? This combo looks close to my old eyes.

I saw Donnie drive these cars several times at Talladega. It looked like a dark red and at times I thought it was a Dark Metallic Red or even a Candy Apple Red. Of course that may have been due to the Talladega heat in August and/or quite possibly the amount of alcohol consumed. Glad I don't do that anymore.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Bobby
Lionpride

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I used TS-8 over Tamiya fine gray and was very happy with it. Every picture from that era makes all the colors look slightly different. I welcome someone to come into my house and tell me it's not the right color.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual color, according to the person who painted them, is Ford Candyapple Red. Best spray can match I've found is Testors Model Master Lacquer Flame Red. It's one of those color shifty colors that Ford had in those days, it's much lighter in the sun than in the shade. Here is a Mustang model I painted with MCW Candyapple Red about 15 years ago:

Indoors with the flash:
BW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom! I forgot about Testor's Flame Red. I'll to try it on some spoons with Tamiya Fine White and Fine Gray primer. I thought Candy Apple Red was a possibility. I'll have to do some testing with it as well.

Any thoughts on Tamiya TS-39 Mica Red? Looking at photos of models painted with it on my computer, it looks like another possibility for the car. I've never used it so I don't know what it looks like in real life.

Thanks again for all the responses!
Bobby
john843

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's one of those color shifty colors that Ford had in those days, it's much lighter in the sun than in the shade."

That's kind of the same effect I've seen with the red #25 Folgers cars. Whether ambient or artificial light, or sunny or overcast, it too could look like entirely different colors in various pics.

John
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would one use for a base color under candy apple red??

Thanks! To.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
What would one use for a base color under candy apple red??

Thanks! To.
Silver or gold metal flake.

As for the red on the Hawaiian Tropic car, In my wayward youth I lived in South Daytona for a while. North of Daytona on the outskirts was Hawaiian Tropic's corporate offices. At any given time you could see more than one show car on display out front. All were Chevy's ranging from 1973 to '77. Some were street cars, one was film used and a couple times the actual stock cars were there.

NOT ONE matched another in tone, shade or gloss!! With that said, the two that did match in color were the NASCAR show cars, the Monte and Laguna. I remember them as being a medium metallic red. All I know for sure was it didn't look up close like it would show up well on the track but it really did. I doubt I've helped but hope so.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've helped! I don't really want to experiment with candy if I dont have to. I was wondering, like someone further up this post about Tamiya mica red. I may try that out. Thanks Adam!

Tom
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 3 photos posted by BW, the lower right image confirms that Hawaiian Tropic Red was darker that the Ford Poppy Red used on A.J.'s car next to it. A good reference point.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, an easy way I found and used on the last HT car I did was, a gold base, then Duplicolor "Metalcast" red. It's used primarily for anodizing chrome that wasn't anodized. It's transparent (Basically a cheap version of candy apple) and can be built up in coats until the desired shade is achieved. Just remembered this process this morning thanks to my ever present wife.
It's also very difficult to get it to run and coats quite evenly. It will come out in a satiny finish so clear coat is a must.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: