Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Petty 87 2+2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sundance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Petty 87 2+2 Reply with quote

Anyone know how many survive?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there's a restored car at the Petty museum, and a gentleman in one of the Carolinas that owns an official restoration. I met a guy local, that claims his is a Petty built car, but raced by another team. He also claims his grandfather owns Lincoln's hat. Much like the proverbial "Girl from Canada", when pressed about seeing the car, something else comes up.

Short answer: 2, maybe more.
Sundance

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: The reason I ask Reply with quote

A company I do photo work for has acquired several old stock cars from a collector. Unfortunately, I am not privy to that collectors name.

The company I work for has will soon be receiving these cars. Among them is a Petty 87 Pontiac 2+2. The company specializes in open wheel cars so I am also sort of their go to guy on NASCAR cars they happen across. I am a life long NASCAR fan but hardly an expert. But I do know how to research and this is a great place for info.

I have personally only seen one in person, but saw it several times at the same place. That was at the North Carolina Hall of Fame Museum where I have taken multiple pictures of it. I don't know the history of that car, but generally have found the cars there to be historical correct.

I found on the internet, that one sold at/or Bohommes or the Mecum auction. That car was listed as a recreation and not an actual Petty car.

My guess is back in the day, the Petty team likely had less than 6 cars in that season. With attrition and re skinning of cars for the 88 or 89 seasons, I doubt more than one remained with the Pettys. He never won with the car and I am not familiar with the 87 car having much significance history wise.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for on the car that might help determine if it a real car or a recreation?
CRANMAN1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car @ Petty's

Sundance

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: can't be sure Reply with quote

without seeing the c pillar. I am pretty sure this is the car I saw at the No. Carolina HOF Museum several times. Last time was about 2007 or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: