Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Bill Simpson

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: RIP Bill Simpson Reply with quote

Died today after a stroke on Friday. NASCAR hosed him when they blamed him for Dale Sr.'s death. He saved countless lives.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw DEJr post on twiter....RIP
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ... Sad What a bummer.
Bill Simpson was the savior of many a race car driver, whether they were in Stock cars, Indy cars, Drag cars ( his first love ); the SIMPSON Tag was seen on uniforms & driver's suits everywhere. Also, on drag chutes, gloves, helmets, shoes, and yes seat belts too. Bill really got a bad rap he didn't deserve after Dale Earnhardt's death. This was a guy who believed in his product to the extent that, one year at Indy, Bill poured gasoline on the Simpson Firesuit, shoes, helmet, goggles, and balaclava HE WAS WEARING, and George Snider dropped a lit match on Bill !!!
As things happened, Bill Simpson would lose control over his own company, then come back with IMPACT race wear. He never quit trying to improve safety for racers; he ( along with Smokey Yunick ) was one of the first to investigate soft walls. Rest in Peace, Bill Simpson... Crying or Very sad
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P Bill.....

Have a copy of his book; Racing Safely, Living Dangerously that was copywrited in 2001. There are 2 pic so him on fire proving how well his fire suits held up to fire, 1st was in 1970, not sure when the next was taken, as it is on the cover, but judging from the helmet he's wearing, it is the late '70's or early '80's.....maybe even later than those dates I mentioned....
The book is an interesting read.

Got his autograph in an unusual way back in 1973. A co-worker of my brother's saw Bill in the bank, and the co-worker, knowing I liked racing, got bill to sign a piece of paper. But, back then I did know that much about Bill, so when i saw the autograph I had a look like "who's this guy"....however I never through it out and was taped on the wall of my 1st apartment, where it stayed until I moved out of that apartment...now it rests in the pages of the above mentioned book.
Met Bill on somewhat a fluke sometime around the mid 90's when I was chasing NASCAR die-cast and was at his store in Gasoline Alley West in SoCal. it a weekend in Feb, that year as Daytona 500 qualifying was on TV. Bill walked in to where he could watch various cars qualify and would add his comments.....He was in CA as one of his managers was out for some type of medical reasons, and Bill came out to make sure things were being properly taken care of....
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another hero (or character) gone! Used many pieces of Bill's safety gear, including a Simpson Model 80 helmet I purchased when first released in 1979, the first helmet to have a Nomex lining. His book is a GREAT read! He did more for racers than he'll ever get credit for, I wish I had had the chance to meet him.

Brian
Jim N

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Bill Simpson Reply with quote

Dennis O wrote:
Died today after a stroke on Friday. NASCAR hosed him when they blamed him for Dale Sr.'s death. He saved countless lives.

I am not exonerating NASCAR in any way, but Earnhardt's safety harness failed in the crash. Bill Simpson and his company would have to try and explain why the harness failed and how their safety products are up to the challenge, regardless of what NASCAR did.
kitbash1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Bill Simpson Reply with quote

Jim N wrote:
Dennis O wrote:

I am not exonerating NASCAR in any way, but Earnhardt's safety harness failed in the crash. Bill Simpson and his company would have to try and explain why the harness failed and how their safety products are up to the challenge, regardless of what NASCAR did.

His harness failed because of the way Dale had it rigged. Dale liked his gear rigged a certain way, and that way was not how Bills harness's were to be rigged. We all know the outcome of what happened, and Nascar was looking to find a scapegoat and Bill got screwed over. RIP Bill.
lascar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P

Jim N

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Bill Simpson Reply with quote

kitbash1 wrote:
Jim N wrote:
Dennis O wrote:

His harness failed because of the way Dale had it rigged. Dale liked his gear rigged a certain way, and that way was not how Bills harness's were to be rigged. We all know the outcome of what happened, and Nascar was looking to find a scapegoat and Bill got screwed over. RIP Bill.

The investigation immediately after the accident revealed that the safety harness failed. After much further investigation, we learned that Earnhardt's seat was installed much like a recliner. There was too much backwards lean to the seat. He also like some slack in the safety harness. Yes, both of these contributed to the safety harness failing. However, only NASCAR insiders knew Earnhardt did not use the safety equipment properly. It was reported long afterwards that Bill Simpson told Dale he was not using the equipment correctly, but Dale blew him off.

Yes, NASCAR was very quick to pass judgement, but regardless, Simpson and his company would have to explain why the safety harness failed. Even if the company gave the explanation I wrote above, they would have to explain what happened.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: