Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Declarations of a stock car independent - book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john843

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Declarations of a stock car independent - book Reply with quote

I ran across this the other night and it look's pretty interesting. Perry Wood interviews 12 independent racers from the '40s thru the '80s and there is an interesting excerpt with Joe Frasson about the events leading up to, and including Tiny Lund's fatal crash. (it takes just a sec to load)

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ypr_kpYZNSoC&pg=PA162&lpg=PA162

John
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!! Thanks for the heads - up; that book is now on my Christmas Wish List Laughing .
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ready . Perry wrote several other good books also including one on race tracks not in use anymore
Bill

Last edited by BVAUGHN on Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
john843

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
WOW !!! Thanks for the heads - up; that book is now on my Christmas Wish List Laughing .

Glad you saw it George, you were one of two people I had in mind when I posted the link. Doesn't sound like Joe had any love lost for Nascar or A.J. King,... among others.

John
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Frasson certainly did want to do things HIS way, which is seldom tolerated in NASCAR's world. Among the goofier things Joe did, was running The Cannonball in 1971 -- in a 1966 TRAVCO Motorhome !!! A passage from Brock Yates' excellent book CANNONBALL ! World's Greatest Outlaw Road Race :
" During one night, it was my job to ride shotgun for Frasson. Instead of keeping him awake, I fell asleep. When I awoke, all I could see was this blank whiteness. I couldn't tell how far away it was or what I was looking at. I looked over at Frasson. He was sitting up there with an idiotic smile on his face, wearing his famous floppy black hat and puffing on a big cigar. " Look at me," he says, " I'm drafting." The blank whiteness was the back end of a moving van about 4 feet away. " What gets me", he laughs, " is the way the suction pulls the radio aerial right straight forward. " I was too speechless to answer. Another truck barrelled by; Frasson changed his draft to the passing truck and got sucked right by the moving van. We did this most of the night with Frasson sitting up there giggling and cackling like a hen that just laid a dozen eggs. "
I am informed the book will be in my stocking Christmas morning... Very Happy I guess I won't try to give Santa a hot foot in the chimney this year Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: