Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fireball 1963-64 artwork preview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Fireball 1963-64 artwork preview Reply with quote

Now that my list of 1,000 things I had to do is down to about 997 things I still have to do, I've finally had some time to tinker with the artwork for Fireball's 1963-64 cars. Just so y'all know this is still happening, here's a preview (low-resolution and watermarked for obvious reasons):

Be advised this is VERY preliminary and nothing's really been sized or proportioned; this is raw art right now, and I'm guessing it's only about 45% or so complete. I'm constantly discovering little variations in sponsorship markings, how Fireball's name was painted, and little details. I'm trying to make this as comprehensive as I can, so it's taking no small effort. (I also hand-draw the lettering on paper, then scan it and trace it in Illustrator, which takes a lot longer but is well worth the difference. Modern fonts used to represent old-timey hand-lettering really stick out to my eye, so I avoid that when I can.)

There's a lot more to come, but this is going to happen, and I'm setting my own deadline to get it done so I can finally get the folder off my desktop after way too long. I'm just having to fit it between other obligations, which are many and varied, and of late have made a feast of my available time and brainpower. Stay tuned, though, because this is going to be worth it.

Jodie Peeler
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Jodie! I am still in for the long haul Smile
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed...looks great......
jokar124

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodie, will you be including the blue "Fireball Roberts" lettering, "Old Crow" c-pillar decal and blue 410 hp hood callouts for the lavender '63 with the blue "Southeastern Ford Dealers" sponsorship? These items were missing on the old Yesterday's Decals sheet.
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding so far. That's a sheet that's long overdue.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jokar124 wrote:
Jodie, will you be including the blue "Fireball Roberts" lettering, "Old Crow" c-pillar decal and blue 410 hp hood callouts for the lavender '63 with the blue "Southeastern Ford Dealers" sponsorship? These items were missing on the old Yesterday's Decals sheet.

Those are among the items on the "to do" list. I have a really clear shot of the Old Crow logo and I've got enough to let me do the different versions of Fireball's name, too - if not perfectly, then awfully close.

The more references I find, the more things I find that none of the previous sheets included. I've wanted to do these cars myself for a long time, but found myself frustrated by what the existing sheets didn't have, so I'm hoping to be as comprehensive as the material will let me.

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement!

Jodie Peeler
john843

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodie, I'm pulling for you too on this one! Don't want to hijack your thread but thought you may be a good choice to ask what would be a good donor chassis to put the '63 AMT Galaxie over? I have a couple from the 3 kit "Classic's" combo which are really simple promos with the slot car post's. I thought about possibly back-dating a Polar Lights Ford chassis but don't know if adapting a stock chassis to race form might look more authentic in the case of a '64. Even considered the chassis from the '57 Fairlane which is a skill level 3 kit that comes in the combo with the Galaxies. Would have to get rid of the molded in exhaust but the suspension looks workable. OR update the '57 Fireball race kit chassis... Any suggestions would be welcome:)

Thanks,
John
replicas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 Ford Starliner
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AMT 1960 Starliner is definitely the best choice as a chassis donor. I still need to get several more for that very purpose.

Jodie Peeler
john843

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jodie and replicas, I happen to have one of those left. Don't know why I didn't think of it but I do remember the one I built right after they came out had great detail (reminded me of the '62 Catalina SD) and went together well.
Good luck on the #22 sheet.

John
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodie do you have a website of your decals. Appreciate any info thanks.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no website - I do occasional artwork, when something interests me enough to take that subject on, but it's in partnership with others who handle the printing and sales aspects. Decal printing costs more than I have available at the moment, and I've learned from experience I'm not cut out for customer service, so I'm content to let others handle all that Wink

For whatever it's worth, I did the artwork for the 2016 IPMS/USA Nationals decal sheet, and the "Sea Kings of Apollo" decal sets available from Starfighter Models. I've also done decal artwork that has been available through various print-on-demand services at various times.

Jodie Peeler
joe b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jodie would you be able to get interested enough to do tiny lunds hallmark homes 1964 galaxie by any chance? Very Happy

joe
Steve England

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Fireball 1963-64 Artwork preview Reply with quote

Great art I too will be in for a set would love to see Tinys Hallmark homes as well that one has been on my list for so long. Desperate for that set.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
jodie would you be able to get interested enough to do tiny lunds hallmark homes 1964 galaxie by any chance? Very Happy

Hmmm. While I won't rule it out down the road, I would need some motivation to do so. The Fireball artwork is kind of a labor of love for me because Fireball is one of my guys and I've wanted to do his cars for so long.

I might would be willing to do the Hallmark Homes car if I did the project on commission and got adequate documentation of the original car as it originally raced. These projects consume an awful lot of time and effort to get them done correctly, especially when it comes to hand-drawing the lettering to match the real thing, and for me it would require some external motivation to put the effort into it.

Of course, before I even entertain thoughts of another project, I need to get this artwork finished! The day job has gotten in the way more than a little....

Jodie Peeler
joe b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i look forward to seeing the finished fireball sheet. the 63 has been on my to do list for a while.

joe
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, Jodie. The only thing I see missing is the roof number for Fireball's 1963 Southern 500 winner. Its smaller then the other roof numbers and looks like the last door 22's you have on your sheet . I have a ref picture showing it somewhere.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are those ref pics of the Southern 500 winner.

octopusmotor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the really good shots of the roof area, which were much needed and are very helpful. The roof number for the Southern 500 winner is one of those things I haven't gotten to yet, along with at least two or three other variations of the "Young Ford" lettering and at least two more variations of the "Fireball Roberts" name on or above the door. With these pictures, however, I can make the roof number that much more accurate. Thanks again!

Jodie Peeler
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:
Thank you very much for the really good shots of the roof area, which were much needed and are very helpful. The roof number for the Southern 500 winner is one of those things I haven't gotten to yet, along with at least two or three other variations of the "Young Ford" lettering and at least two more variations of the "Fireball Roberts" name on or above the door. With these pictures, however, I can make the roof number that much more accurate. Thanks again!

Jodie Peeler

You're welcome. Looking forward to your finished sheet. Will probably be the best available for this important car.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
You're welcome. Looking forward to your finished sheet. Will probably be the best available for this important car.

I appreciate that, and it's certainly what I'm going for - I'm trying to leave nothing on the table. OTOH, my perfectionistic tendencies come into play and that's part of why it's taking so darn long to finish the artwork. But I'm sure doing my best to make it worth the wait.

Jodie Peeler
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:
MarkJ wrote:

I appreciate that, and it's certainly what I'm going for - I'm trying to leave nothing on the table. OTOH, my perfectionistic tendencies come into play and that's part of why it's taking so darn long to finish the artwork. But I'm sure doing my best to make it worth the wait.

Jodie Peeler

Jodie, will you be printing these on the new laser printer/ghost white toner setup?
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These should be a regular screen-printed decal.

Jodie Peeler
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minor update after about four hours of work today:

The initial door lettering from the Southeastern Ford Dealers '63 Galaxie, along with the best version I can figure out of the quarterpanel lettering for his 1964 World 600 car. Oh, and also a much sought-after drinky crow.

This doesn't look like a lot of output, but it all takes a lot longer than you would think, especially trying to re-create hand-lettered markings. I really do not like to use fonts except when I have to, and even then I will tinker with them to make them look less modern. So it's a lot of work - but, I hope, it makes a difference in your finished model.

Jodie Peeler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: