Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1969 torino talledega

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcart77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: 1969 torino talledega Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
On the polar lights petty torino. How is everyone dealing with the fuel filler? No gas cap? Pictures online most seem to have a round recessed area with filler neck and gas cap. ??
Thanks for any ideas
john843

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, what I do with those is glue a small square of styrene (0.010 or 0.015) behind the hole (before painting) and then find something in the parts box to use for the gas cap. I have used a Monogram hood pin with the detail sanded off among other things. I always try to raise the cap up in the recess slightly by gluing a smaller piece of something under the cap to replicate the presence of a filler neck and to bring the cap up flush with the body panel.

Edited to add: Tom's post below made me realize I should have stated that the reason I use styrene sheet behind the hole is because using the existing small hole as a pilot hole, I drill out the entire recessed portion. This gives it a little more depth to work with and even after chamfering the edge of the hole to avoid surface tension, you still have enough depth to get the 3-D effect of the cap sitting up on the filler neck without protruding past the panel.

John

Last edited by john843 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
john843

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've seen where some have noted that the filler hole in the Talladega's and Mercury's aren't located right (too far forward?) but on a body that already needed considerable tweaking, I was and am fine with how it looks where it is.
Another method for the filler and cap without having to dig thru the parts box is to cut a piece of Plastruct or Evergreen solid round stock (or perfectly round sprue) that represents approx. 3" scale inches diameter off into a disk about 1" to 1 1/2" scale inches thick for the cap and cut another piece about 2/3rds the diameter of the cap to serve as the neck. Glue them together and glue the small end into the recess. On a few of my '60's builds I've glued two small pieces of thin flat stock on it's edge to represent the two fins on the top of some gas caps to twist them off with.

John
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of the oil fill caps from whichever engine I'm not using. I file it down to make it thinner and attach it in the mounting location that's molded into the body.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used head lamp, and tail lamp lens for gas caps on my race car builds with thin strips glued on top to replicate the caps used back then. Then make a filler neck as previous posts have suggested. Worked for me. All my builds were of race cars, so I had an abundance of sizes, and shapes of lens to work with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: