Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pontiac Grand Prix Nose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowhawk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Pontiac Grand Prix Nose Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Need a little help please. I have plans on building one of Labontes and Stewarts pontiacs from the 98 season. How accurate are the kit nose? A while back I read an article about up grading the nose for a better look and can't find it now, or would one of the 2000 kits be better to use?

Thanks
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the later kits would have a better nose, but I always liked the rest of the body proportions on the earlier kit better. Not to mention it has a far superior chassis.

Really, the only thing wrong with the nose is the lower air dam. It should be pretty much flat instead of indented like the kit piece.

At one time, I believe someone posted a technique of using the air dam off a round side Monte Carlo kit with minor modifications. If that’s not a viable option, it’s not too hard to modify the kit piece with sheet styrene.
snowhawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, That is the exact article I'm looking for. I agree totally with you on all points about the nose on both kits. Thanks!!! Now if I could just find the article for reference help.
bigryan18

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post was on the old Mr.Nascar Neighbourhood site. Someone came up with correcting the G.P by gluing the old Monogram Monte Carlo lower bumper onto the G.P. upside down.
snowhawk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigryan 18, I thought that is where I saw it. Wish I could find an archive of it for help with a how to reference.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if this works for you:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080623005727/http://www.ovaltrackmodels.com/gpnose.htm

Jodie Peeler
bigryan18

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it...
joe b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea. i am going to try that too. you could probably cut a piece of sheet plastic to the same size too and not have to fill in the grill opening.

come to think of it, was the nose of this kit ever updated by revell? if so which kits were they?

joe
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
great idea. i am going to try that too. you could probably cut a piece of sheet plastic to the same size too and not have to fill in the grill opening.

come to think of it, was the nose of this kit ever updated by revell? if so which kits were they?

joe

I agree. I am not sure why one would have to sacrifice a second kit when sheet styrene would accomplish the same result.
snowhawk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor, Thank you! That is what I have been looking for.
StuBeck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:

joe

I have a post here which has the right kit with the new nose. It does require quite a bit of thinning for the wheel wells as the plastic is super thick.
joe b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which kit is it?
bigryan18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the Pro-Finish Grand Prix kits or the 2002 Interstate Batteries or Home Depot glue kits...
joe b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have a different nose then the original interstate and home depot kits? i remember only one gp kit for each being released.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first round of Interstate and Home Depot cars were same as the Hot Wheels and John Deere “glue” kits. They came out in 1999 IIRC. I believe these were the last issues of that particular kit.

Both Interstate and Home Depot cars were issued again a few years later using the same molds as the “Pro Finish” style kits, which were completely different kits that featured updated (but simplified) parts.

joe b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Spires wrote:
The first round of Interstate and Home Depot cars were same as the Hot Wheels and John Deere “glue” kits. They came out in 1999 IIRC. I believe these were the last issues of that particular kit.

Both Interstate and Home Depot cars were issued again a few years later using the same molds as the “Pro Finish” style kits, which were completely different kits that featured updated (but simplified) parts.

can;t see the pictures you posted rob. but were these with the new (and last) bodies pontiac raced or were they the same bodies as the 1999 kits with updated noses? if you can repost or link the pictures again, i was not aware of any pontiac pro finish kits.

tnks joe
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, the photos are still showing for me. Not sure what the issue is...

All of the images came from Mike’s. Here are the two searches I used (note the 1999 and 2002 issues of each kit):

https://www.mikesdecals.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Revell+Bobby+Labonte&search_in_description=0

https://www.mikesdecals.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Revell+Tony+Stewart&search_in_description=0

The 1999 and 2002 issues are two entirely different kits and don’t share any components. Now that you mention it, there may not have been a true “ProFinish” Grand Prix kit, but the 2002 issue shares chassis components with the ProFinish Monte Carlos.
martinfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Spires wrote:

The 1999 and 2002 issues are two entirely different kits and don’t share any components. Now that you mention it, there may not have been a true “ProFinish” Grand Prix kit, but the 2002 issue shares chassis components with the ProFinish Monte Carlos.

Rob, they were Pro Finishes kits

Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
Rob, they were Pro Finishes kits

Ah yes, I forgot about those. Like many here, the ProFinish kits never really tickled my fancy.
joe b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks rob. i see them now. must have been something on my side.
i will have to look for them. i know revell released a body of the last year pontiac raced, i think it was only one kit because the body style raced only one year before pontiac dropped out. i remember a door to door finish between the exide ford and tide car. i think that was pontiacs last win.

joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: