Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seat belt / harness?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbherri2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Seat belt / harness? Reply with quote

What do you guys do to create (realistic) seat belts / harnesses for your Revell / Monogram racers - specifically 80's and 90's cars.

thanks!
john843

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've been using the last several years are the harness sets from Studio 27 that come with the 1/24th-1/25th and 1/20th size fabric belt strips (in red, black, and royal blue) and really nice chromed -or polished- photo-etch hardware. I've found that the 1/24th-1/25th belts themselves run a little narrow (maybe close to accurate up to '70 or so?) but I've found the 1/20th to be just about perfect for builds starting about the Monogram Regal's and Monte Carlo's up thru at least '97 or '98 kits. i haven't built any later than that so not sure. I suspect the 1/20th in these Studio 27 sets are maybe a tad thin for 1/20th, as the 24th-25th is but they look made to order for a 1/24th Mono seat.

John
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go cheap. I take masking tape and fold it over so it sticks to itself. I cut strips off of that to fashion belts and harness. Make buckles out of sheet plastic. Paint as appropriate. For the level of detail I build, that works for me. Super detail guys will want something else.
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I’m just doing a shelfer (which most of my builds are) I simply cut the belts from the decal sheet as close as possible, then use a black sharpie to color the edges of the paper around the decal. This technique gives 3D belts that are fairly convincing, and is super quick and easy. Just use some white glue to attach to the seat when you’re done.
jbherri2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob - there's a thought. I guess it never occurred to me to use the decal belts as you described. Might have to give that a whirl ... maybe shoot them with dulcote?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: