Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1976 #21 Montego

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim unger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: 1976 #21 Montego Reply with quote

Did the Wood Brothers use the same candy red over a gold base for the 1976 Montego as their previous cars? Thanks for any help.
Jim
Petty/Wood Brothers tribute
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wood Brothers stopped using the clear red type candy apple red over gold in 1967 or 68. They started using Ford candy apple red, which is a plain darker red. They then covered it with plain clear coat with gold pearl flakes. In some lighting the gold flakes really stand out and in other lighting the red just looks like plain dark red.

A good substitute is to use grey Tamiya primer on the top and spray Tamiya Italian Red over it, they add some fine gold pearl to clear coat and spray that. Or a more simple solution is perhaps use Tamiya Mica red a fine metallic and spray it over a grey primer.
This is a picture that Dave Van posted, it's the 1971 Wood Brother's Mercury.
https://public.fotki.com/DaveVan51/charlotte-roval-and/dsc04491.html
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After our visit to the Wood's I bought some Tamiya TS-18 Met Red. I am going to test out applying this over gold and silver and see if either is close FOR A MODEL. Getting paint to look right in scale can be a challenge. I let you know.
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in your results Dave. I have a few Woods cars I am working on and need a solution that works for the red roof. I have used Ford candy red and clear with fine gold pearl flakes and it comes out looking right.

The problem is in paint types. My Ford candy apple red is an acrylic enamel and it cures slowly. If I throw some gold flakes into any clear and spray it over the red, I am likely to get a negative reaction that trashes the paint job. Crazing or cracking.
My next plan was to use the Tamiya grey primer, Italian red and then some clear. At least I can count on the Tamiya to cure quickly. If I could use a metallic red and be content with the end result, that could save a step or two.
john843

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, nothing to do with your red selection but I saw in an interview with one of the Wood's about the appearance of this car (relative to a throwback scheme) and he said "Nascar wouldn't let you run chrome wheels then so we used silver "tailpipe" paint sprayed on Norris wheels". I assume he's referring to the earlier versions of the chrome paints that were mostly still silver. The chrome sprays have gotten a lot better in 40 years.

John
jim unger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the great info and I look forward to hearing how Dave's use of the #18 works out.
Jim
Petty/Wood Brothers tribute
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, I used TS-39 Mica Red for this. It has a maroon undercoat, but if I did it again I would go with a lighter undercoat, maybe gray.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: