Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

57 fords

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcart77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: 57 fords Reply with quote

Starting revell fireball 57 ford and not crazy about kit tires and wheels. I have ppp tires but what wheels will fit ppp tires? The only ppp wheels are the 6 lug chevy which are not right for fords.
Thanks for any help.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want it to look authentic stick with the kit tires and wheels. If you want it to look more racy put wider, taller, wheels and tires on it.
AlanGTX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Fireball 57 Ford Reply with quote

Built mine pretty much straight from the box and thought it came out well

Used Powerslide decals and added plug wires and piece of tube from supercharger to intake

Ran the exhausts so it looked like they went through the trunk and out of the tail lights
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'60 Starliner wheels look great in that application.
Tcart77

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the exhaust be ran through the trunk and out the tail lights? What about the color? Best match for the red? Should the supercharger be open or have a tube running to ? It is hard to find pictures for reference.
Thanks to all for any help.
Racer14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust pipes go into the floor pan just forward of the gas tank. Just cut the pipes off at that point. They exit out of the tail lights. I drill holes and insert some aluminum tubing for them. For the red Tamiya TS-8 or TS-49 can be used.
I believe the supercharger pulls air in through the oval canister and filter. There is a hole on the side where the air comes in before heading to the supercharger. All the parts are there in the kit for the supercharger system though they go together kind go tricky.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual red was a darkish red. I would use TS-8 over gray primer. It's not a blood red at all and the kit decals are much too bright. The PowerSlide decals are better.
Tcart77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everone. That helps alot. I have the powerlines decals for this build. This is my first 1950s nascar build. So trying to get as much info as possible.
Thanks again.
Racer14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another tip on painting the two-tone colors. I just painted the Marvin Panch version and I used Tamiya Masking Tape for Curves part number 87179-5mm for the fineline masking. This is the first time I used it and it worked great compared to usual masking tape. It is a tricky curve around the rear window base and this did it with ease. No bleed through either.
Tcart77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about interior colors?
john843

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racer14 wrote:
Just another tip on painting the two-tone colors. I just painted the Marvin Panch version and I used Tamiya Masking Tape for Curves part number 87179-5mm for the fineline masking. This is the first time I used it and it worked great compared to usual masking tape. It is a tricky curve around the rear window base and this did it with ease. No bleed through either.

I just tried some of the Tamiya curve masking tape for the first time recently on the Salvino Old's (Dale Sr.s 1980 championship car) after two false starts with regular masking tape. The 5mm that Racer14 mentioned worked better than any I've used to date.

John
hurricane21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the kit. I've seen a couple people mention PowerSlide decal options but I can't find any on Mike's site. Am I missing something?
Racer14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T Cart: The interior on the Custom was done in a standard dark and light grey. The seat is light grey with the decals and a dark grey band around the seat bottom. Dash is a dark grey and the side panels are dark at the bottom, then the decal then a light grey strip and a darker grey along the top rail. The interior floor pan pan is light grey. Roll bar semi gloss black. It is a rather complex color combo for the baseline Ford sedan.

hurricane21: If you search "57 Fords" on Mike's it will bring up the two decal options.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a convertible version of this? I'm no expert on this era but it looks like the convertibles could be built easily with this kit.
Racer14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The convertible has a slightly longer wheelbase and the rear fenders design is different and length is longer behind the rear wheels. The AMT 57 Fairlane 500 can be modified to a convertible easy enough and has the correct body. There was a tutorial (by Tom M.?) on the old forum that showed the Fairlane 500 using the rear 3/4ths of the Revell chassis mated to the front frame of the AMT. I plan to do the Curtis Turner convertible mixing the Revell and AMT kits similar to what the tutorial suggested.
hurricane21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racer14- Post all the pics you can. I'm interested in trying it too.
Racer14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the Fotki page with pics:

https://public.fotki.com/gearhead15/model-car-projects-2013/1957-ford-convertib/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: