Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something for open wheel fans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Something for open wheel fans Reply with quote

Not sure what this one was called, it may have depended on what track it ran at....
Some would call this a supermodiified, some might call this a modified, but whatever it is called, to me it would fall into a modified class....

Pics were taken at the Kossuth County Ag & Mtrsprts Museum in Algona, IA this past July
Just wish I had taken a pic of the "story" of this car.
The late Darryl Dawley was one of the builders of this car. Not sure if he raced it, or where, if he did,
Car has an automatic tranny...

Enjoy
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: This is what.... Reply with quote

This build was the best I could to of the type of modifieds that ran at the Jackson, MN track in 1971

This is is what the "modified" looked like a the Jackson track im 1976

The following year, 1977 "tops" were no longer required. The Jackson MN VFW who promoted the races at Jackson from around the mid '50's to at least the 1977 season, started calling the cars that raced there stock cars, then around the mid '60's the term was changed to Modifieds, and thus they called themselves "The Home of the Modifieds"

The following are NOT my builds, but were displayed a few years at the Kossuth Cty Ag & Mtrsprts Museum and are typcial of the modified of the mid '60's modified that, at the time, not only ran at the aforementioned Jackson, MN track, but the Algona, IA and Fairmont, MN tracks as well...

Just disregard the tires on these two builds....back when they were built, in the early to late '70's, there were not personal computers, let alone cottage industries that provided more realistic tires...
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info. Those old pie crust slicks were very common in the 'old days' on paved tracks.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the car in the top post -- if you remove the roof it could be an old USAC or CRA " Upright " small - block Sprint Car. The cast magnesium rims, solid axles, and big thumper right rear tire were spotting features of these cars. Only the box fuel tank above the rear axle ( instead of a teardrop tank behind the axle ) looks out of place to me.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George...
The pics don't really show the wheelbase, but it is longer than the more standard sprint car W/B, which I think was due to running an automatic trans....but yest, this style of modified DID morph into full fledged sprint cars before the '70's had passed....

Check out:
www.fairmontspeedwayarchives.org

go to photos and check out the years 1965 thru 1970 and you will see it didn't take long to go from home built cars to tube chassis, most provided by sprint/supermodified builders like Nance Edmunds to name a couple....
In the opening pics of the red/white/blue #14. That is an Edmunds frame that the team built most likely from plans purchased from Edmunds, or frame was bought as a "kit"....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: