Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1964 RP plymouth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim unger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: 1964 RP plymouth Reply with quote

Hi everyone, started working on the AMT 1964 RP Plymouth for his Daytona 500 win. I'm using the beautiful Power Slide decals and have some questions. Is the gas cap chrome, steel, or aluminum and are the wheels chrome, steel, aluminum or dark blue? Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim
Petty/Wood Brothers tribute
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

You can clearly see the car and details in question from the 20 second mark of this fine, full colour video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er52EilB2rM&t=11s
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim. The fuel cap was factory chrome (Later body color in some races). Wheels were painted silver for the dirt tracks, dark blue on some short tracks and chrome at Daytona. Note the red panels on the rear of the car (in the excellent video mentioned above.)
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I love those old videos. You can get a lot of good reference from them. Sometimes the color might be off but contengencies, and stuff like that, they can be very helpful.
john843

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on the video's. Would like to know though, once and for all what the paper in the rear driver side window was/said. I thought in the first pics I saw of it that it was probably some sort of notes or punch list but someone on here said it was maybe something to do with the car or the motor being legal? I did notice the '64 in the HOF museum had something stuck in the same window in the same spot.

John
Racer14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the paperwork in the window was to certify that a minimum number of Hemis were built to meet the homologation requirements.
jim unger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the info. Now to the modeling work bench I go...
Jim
Petty/Wood Brothers tribute
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you do a wip on this. Sometimes these amt kits have problems with fit issues. Keep us updated if you see any glaring problems with this kit. So far my Hobby Lobby's aren't selling them. Did Richard have a beer , tobacco or energy drink sponsor on the car? Wink
TG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says the decals that come with it are Cartograf, curious why you aren't using them?
Aero426

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Runnernut about the '64 kits. He's had trouble getting re-registered.

There's a current question on there now asking about building the 'AMT' Petty 1964 Belvedere. Which I would like to get the word out on there stating that the AMT kit is nothing more than just the old Lindberg kit. Which means the body isn't correct if you want total accuracy. If close, but no cigar works for someone, than fine. The old Jo-Han body is closer to specs than the Lindberg mess. Which is why the two hoods between them won't interchange or the windshield glass or rear window glass parts. If builders don't believe me. Take the windshield an rear glass out of a Moebius '65 Plymouth kit, and try an drop it in the AMT/Lindberg body. They won't fit due to the wrong curvature. Drop them into an old Jo-Han Plymouth body an they fit too well! Which means they almost drop on through but they're the right fit. The cowl is curved wrong on the AMT/Lindberg which is why the hood is shaped wrong. There's also no wheel well housings in the interior tub either unless AMT made a new interior tub for the kit which I highly doubt. Now true, the ones in the Jo-Han Petty interior tub are way undersized but they tried! The master brake cylinder is wrong which isn't right in the Lindberg '64 Dodge kits either. A correct one you have to get from an old Polar Lights or Moebius kit.

That's what happens when I'm a big fan of a '64 Plymouth, and I can go out in the garage an look for details. Plus I looked at a dozen or more old car magazines looking for close up pictures of the '64 Petty Plymouth. Wish I could say I kept those pictures but I gave them away. In one picture you can see that it's really dark underneath the back of the car. Translation, it's black, not blue. Call it my best effort to try an re-build the Jo-Han one I built to be like the real Petty car was back in the day. I also have a built bone stock Jo-Han Petty '64 Plymouth out of the box which I have sitting right next to it so you can see the differences between the two. Trust me, I never want to have to go through that much work again building a car model! The back half of my build is a Lindberg chassis spliced to the Jo-Han chassis plus using the Lindberg front suspension grafted onto the Jo-Han frame.

Even Petty Enterprises didn't bother to build that '64 clone car they did for a customer to be like their original build was when it came to the front chassis cage area. Trust me, I was highly disappointed to discover all the flaws over time in the Lindberg '64 Dodge an Plymouth kits. Maybe I'm just being to anal. Thanks for hearing me out. Best Regards, Jim
john843

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG wrote:
It says the decals that come with it are Cartograf, curious why you aren't using them?

Terry, the biggest problem with the kit decals is that they are shadowed with black instead of the proper blue color. This has been a problem with Petty kit decals since the '60's or '70's.

John
TG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, thanks for the answer. I didn't know that.

In every picture I've ever seen of the 60's cars the outline on the numbers looks black and then blue on the later year cars.
odcics2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racer14 wrote:
I believe the paperwork in the window was to certify that a minimum number of Hemis were built to meet the homologation requirements.

What requirements??

426 hemis weren't available in regular production cars until 1966.

IIRC, 64 -65 were for special race classes, as in drag racing. Stock cars
just dropped them in to replace the 426 wedges.

So, thinking that it was 1966 when Chrysler complied with the Nascar rule requiring street cars to have hemis in order to race the engine.

I was only 10 at the time, so I don't recall all the details!
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
TG wrote:

Terry, the biggest problem with the kit decals is that they are shadowed with black instead of the proper blue color. This has been a problem with Petty kit decals since the '60's or '70's.

John

To my mind, it was black or the deepest shade of navy blue. I don't accept that the Powerslide sheets are using a correct blue tone - too light - for Petty's '60s cars.

It seemed to vary throughout different parts of '60s. Was it just a matter of whatever paint the body shop had handy that week? And just about every licensed product - plastic kits or diecast models, printed products, etc. - featured a black shadow and key line. Were the Pettys pranking us or merely lazy?

Now, it almost seems like some sort of revisionist history is going on as restored cars or Petty museum pieces now adopt what seems to be a lighter shade of blue in the shadow of the older cars that wasn't evident in images or videos from that era.
Racer14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odcics,
The Hemis were allowed under the same grey area that the 1963 Chevrolet 427s were allowed to run. Then in 65 NASCAR cracked down on the production aspect of Hemi availability which led to the boycott. Without a closeup of the window paper I guess we can't be sure of what it really states.
odcics2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racer14 wrote:
Odcics,
The Hemis were allowed under the same grey area that the 1963 Chevrolet 427s were allowed to run. Then in 65 NASCAR cracked down on the production aspect of Hemi availability which led to the boycott. Without a closeup of the window paper I guess we can't be sure of what it really states.

Thanks for the clarity.
Someplace, there is a clear photo of the 1/4 glass paperwork!

Now, just need to find it! It'll show up on Pinterest one day! lol...
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, props to the Johan kit for getting the headers right. I have a pair that fell off my Johan build, and I am tempted to resin-dupe them if at all possible...
john843

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't owned a Jo-Han '64 since back in the day and Bill's comment on the headers made me wonder if the headers that were in the '64 Jo-Han are the same headers that came in the Jo-Han Petty/Hamilton Superbird's?

John
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
I haven't owned a Jo-Han '64 since back in the day and Bill's comment on the headers made me wonder if the headers that were in the '64 Jo-Han are the same headers that came in the Jo-Han Petty/Hamilton Superbird's?

John

Yes, if I recall correctly.

Most of the racing parts in the Johan Superbirds dated back to the '64 tooling.
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
john843 wrote:

John

Yes, if I recall correctly.

Most of the racing parts in the Johan Superbirds dated back to the '64 tooling.

And I could swear I recall them being in the Johan '70 Road Runner as well.
odcics2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoHan made kits from the OEM blueprints.

That's why they are so accurate!!
jh63fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just browsing old threads, thought I would address the questions about the paper in the rear quarter window. It was a speeding ticket he got on the way to Daytona.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: