Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marvins 1960 Pontiac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim unger

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Marvins 1960 Pontiac Reply with quote

Hi all, working on Marvins 1961 Daytona 500 winner using the Joe Weatherly kit as a donor. Does anyone know what color the interior and chassis are? Thanks in Advance.
Petty/Wood Brothers tribute
john843

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I tried to link 16 pics of the 1960 Catalina replica car that Marvin oversaw the building of.(He won in Smokey's year old spare) Apparently they went to great lengths to have it accurate so I suspect the basics are correct. If you will google Marvin Panch 1961 Daytona 500 winner hot rod net work, it's got some great interior, open trunk and engine shots.

John

Last edited by john843 on Fri May 31, 2019 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Racer14

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link should be:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-0801-marvin-panch-1960-pontiac-catalina/
john843

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Racer14. Don't know what I did wrong:(

John
jim unger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
Jim
Nitrobarry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Marvins 1960 Pontiac Reply with quote

Another question on this car. Is the red stripe separating line the black and gold on the front fender to the door correct or not? All pics I`ve seen (B&W) don`t show it even as a slightly lighter shade of grey. I didn`t put it on my model.
john843

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.collectors.com/autograph/marvin-panch-20-1960-pontiac-signed-hero-card/-9218752749272724097

Here is the only color pic of the original car I could find. If you click to enlarge or drag along the thumbnail,, there does appear to be a red hue along the separation line but it definitely doesn't start on the front. Hard to tell...

John
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokey always separated the two colors with a red pinstripe, it's on the Indy cars back then also. It just doesn't have enough contrast with the black to really show up in lots of photos. I have other color photos from this same photo set that don't show it at all. Same car, same race.

MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused. How can you use a 61 Pontiac kit as a donor to build a 1960 Pontiac?
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chassis, motor etc will fit with very little re-work. Also 61 chassis, interior etc will work for a 62 Pontiac also.
Bill
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Chassis, motor etc will fit with very little re-work. Also 61 chassis, interior etc will work for a 62 Pontiac also.
Bill

But how bout the body? Who made a 60 kit other then trumpeter?
james220

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone make a 60 Catalina in plastic and that is what was raced. Shorter car and wheel base. I have seen an article where someone shortened the Trumpeter Bonneville into a Catalina just don't remember where maybe here. I got a 60 Catalina from MCW in resin. The hood is molded shut and it has vacuum formed windows, but you can purchase a striped interior. It also has a roll cage but it's from the 63/64 AMT Pontiac kit and is not correct for the Smokey car. It is a nice piece and with a few mods you could probably use the 61 Mobius chassis, engine didn't change much from 60, and maybe glass, not sure. I'm sure other resin casters make a Catalina also.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, James. I have always wanted to do a 60 Pontiac. I saw Junior Johnson drive one at one of the 61 Richmond 250 races . It was my first live event to attend. He dominated the race till he broke his car. He was broadsliding through the turns putting up a huge rooster tail while the other drivers were making their way through the turns with as little effort as possible. I guess that is why he broke his car. But he was very entertaining to watch especially for a 10 year old kid like me.
tlaferri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james220 wrote:
I don't think anyone make a 60 Catalina in plastic and that is what was raced. Shorter car and wheel base. I have seen an article where someone shortened the Trumpeter Bonneville into a Catalina just don't remember where maybe here. I got a 60 Catalina from MCW in resin. The hood is molded shut and it has vacuum formed windows, but you can purchase a striped interior. It also has a roll cage but it's from the 63/64 AMT Pontiac kit and is not correct for the Smokey car. It is a nice piece and with a few mods you could probably use the 61 Mobius chassis, engine didn't change much from 60, and maybe glass, not sure. I'm sure other resin casters make a Catalina also.

I did the mods to a Trumpeter Bonneville a while back to turn it into a Catalina- I actually started with the convertible kit (as there was some concern with the look/accuracy of the Trumpeter Bonnevilles hardtop at the time) and since I was also modifying a Monogram Impala into a Biscayne at the time I used the Impalas roof as the donor for the Bonne/Cat conversion, this dictated how I had to approach both coversions-Here are most of the step by step pics of the bonne/cat conversion, the Impala to Biscayne conversion is in the album as well if interested

https://public.fotki.com/TerryL/models-1/biscayne-and-catali/

Hosted on Fotki
replicas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chassis from a 61 kit could fit but is not correct. the 59/60 Pontiac chassis' did not have side rails, was like an X. I think a 59/60 chevy kit chassis would provide a better starting point, just my observation.
I owned a new 60 Catalina hardtop in the day.
jim unger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

replicas wrote:
the chassis from a 61 kit could fit but is not correct. the 59/60 Pontiac chassis' did not have side rails, was like an X. I think a 59/60 chevy kit chassis would provide a better starting point, just my observation.
I owned a new 60 Catalina hardtop in the day.

I'm planning to use the MCW kit for the body. Might have to change the chasses per Replicas post...
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: