Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

64 petty Plymouth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcart77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: 64 petty Plymouth Reply with quote

Starting 64 petty Plymouth. Need help with interior colors. Can't locate any reference pics. Any help would be appreciated.
bigryan18

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's body color
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree interior , rol bars etc was color of the body.
Bill
Tcart77

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that maybe the dash would be whatever colors they offered for a 1964 Plymouth. Any thoughts?
bangor boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat black for the dash.
james220

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what car you are building. The Daytona car was Petty Blue on the outside, what ever color Petty blue is. The car was a light Blue from the Factory with a sort blue metallic interior, I've always assumed the dash came the way factory made it. Metallic blue. If you listen to Richard and Dale Inman the seat was a bench with the back removed from the passenger side and the driver was held in place by a 2x4 to counter act the force of the Hemi. I have some black and white photos and it's hard to tell but every time I've built the car I've use a bucket seat. There is a pretty good picture of the engine bay area being service during the race, black and white and it looks typical Hemi. There is some question about block color. Some say bare metal some say a light Metallic orange but not what's now is called hemi orange. Later in the year I've seen pictures of the Petty block being a very light Blue. There is small bars under the hood running from the firewall to the core support to support the added shocks. Roll bar was probably either Petty blue or bare metal for the Daytona race. Later during the year I think it all evolved into Petty Blue. On one of the Petty cars, I think it was Richards, the tail light blank off appear to be red. Hope this doesn't muddy the waters to much. If you build it all Petty blue I'm sure no one but the purest will care.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably right on the motor for the Daytona 500 car as I believe it was delivered by Chrysler to the teams in Daytona so no time to paint it.
Bill
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um I don't want to get a big thing going here but I have pics of the Petty car and the dash looks black the interior looks to be a darker blue the team car Buck Baker in the 41has a few good shots of the interior color that shows the darker blue but his Dash is most definitely Blue. One thing that muddles the situation on old race cars is "The Restored Version" often these are different than the "as raced" version. Research is the key to all these questions it may cause more confusion so be careful and remember the human memory is the last thing to rely on....
I just had a customer complain about a decal he bought he said it is supposed to say Special not Chevrolet. I told him my decals are for the car "As Raced" not the "Restored" version he was looking at (Like it says in the description when he bought it.... WOW) he still wanted his money back but had used the decals????? Go Figure
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/gallery/richard-petty-the-king-daytona-500-history-of-great-american-race-seven-wins-020617

Scroll down about 1/3 of the way, there's a high-res color photo showing the colors pretty well. Keep in mind the color film of the time was really "slow" so when the exposure was perfect for the exterior that was sunlit it darkened the colors in the shade. Those seats were 2-tone, the darker color was medium metallic blue and the lighter color was very light blue. The bucket was a standard Sport Fury bucket and the interior was Belvedere dash and door panels. It was the factory color scheme that came with the factory light blue cars, which is the way the car was delivered and the underhood area was still painted.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Tom. Did this car have the " short " down bars behind the main roof hoop; the down bars that did not go into the trunk ???
Also, ignore the 1977 photo in the link, Richard still drove the Charger not the Magnum pictured.
james220

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom for the pic. That the first color one I think I've seen with anything resembling the interior. I seen a couple of interviews with both Richard and Dale Inman and they swear the seat was a bench. Looks like a bucket to me.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dash alternated between flat black and factory metallic blue. Most often blue. Body, frame, roll cage, engine cage were all Petty blue.
Rear end and suspension components were gloss black.
Depending on the driver, the engine bay fender well's and firewall were white or Petty blue.
Lee preferred a white engine bay.

Exhaust pipes and wheels were silver and depending on the race the car had chrome trim, sometimes not.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interior panels were black.

George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT Photos, Adam !!! The last one answers my question about roll cage down bars.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
GREAT Photos, Adam !!! The last one answers my question about roll cage down bars.
I believe, the short down bars were used through 1968. The '69 Torino was the first to have the bars that passed through the rear firewall. Not positive though, I'll have to sift through my photos.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james220 wrote:
Thanks Tom for the pic. That the first color one I think I've seen with anything resembling the interior. I seen a couple of interviews with both Richard and Dale Inman and they swear the seat was a bench. Looks like a bucket to me.

It was for sure a '64 Sport Fury bucket. Here's a red one, the blue had an extremely light blue insert instead of the white.

Jimmy Pardue's early season car (the white one at Daytona) also had the factory blue interior. Here's the model I built using the best references I could find:

[imghttps://media.fotki.com/2v2vkp6j9xvk5f.jpg[/img]

jokar124

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, on the #41 Petty car shown above, it can be clearly seen that the number outline color is dark blue and not black as it appears on many old kit and aftermarket decal sheets. My question is, what years, if any, did the Petty cars use black number outlines?
john843

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always heard they were only outlined in blue.

John
jokar124

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that being probable for any of the blue or blue/white cars. But what about the white and red cars Lee Petty ran in the '50s such as the Daytona winning '59 Olds?

Last edited by jokar124 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jokar124 wrote:
On a side note, on the #41 Petty car shown above, it can be clearly seen that the number outline color is dark blue and not black as it appears on many old kit and aftermarket decal sheets. My question is, what years, if any, did the Petty cars use black number outlines?
This has been a bone of contention for quite some time, just like the "changing" Petty blue.

When the guy used to come around to paint the numbers on the cars you usually had your choice between a catalog of white... or black... or both. Richard, in case nobody's noticed over the years, does not care for black. His favorite primary color is of course blue and I don't think I need to mention the shade.

SO, with all that blather out of the way, the earliest photo I have of the blue drop shadow, is on the 1960 Plymouth, however a quick google search shows the '58 Olds convertible, with blue drop shadow.

Short answer is, always been blue.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Each driver had his preference and as you can see from the interior shot above, the bars in Baker's car were black. Richard Maurice and I believe Dale all ran with blue roll bars. The white engine bays were in Baker and Pashal's (?) car while Richard and Maurice and Dale drove blue. I had heard the engine bay was navy blue for one race in one car but, never confirmed.
Speedn Steven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPdOgM2MWsE&t=234s
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
P.S. Each driver had his preference and as you can see from the interior shot above, the bars in Baker's car were black. Richard Maurice and I believe Dale all ran with blue roll bars. The white engine bays were in Baker and Pashal's (?) car while Richard and Maurice and Dale drove blue. I had heard the engine bay was navy blue for one race in one car but, never confirmed.

In that photo of the car under construction, that engine bay isn't white. It's factory Light Blue, the color the entire cars were delivered in. They weren't bodies in white in '64, they were complete cars upon delivery. Here's a modern photo of the factory Light Blue:

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

In that photo of the car under construction, that engine bay isn't white. It's factory Light Blue, the color the entire cars were delivered in. They weren't bodies in white in '64, they were complete cars upon delivery. Here's a modern photo of the factory Light Blue:

I've just been going by what Lee told me at Level Cross, circa 1984.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard and Lee said the interiors were all Petty Blue in '64 also. I find that the people who worked on hundreds of cars over 50 years almost never recall the details correctly. Who would? Do you recall the last detail of your 10th grade book report?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
Richard and Lee said the interiors were all Petty Blue in '64 also. I find that the people who worked on hundreds of cars over 50 years almost never recall the details correctly. Who would? Do you recall the last detail of your 10th grade book report?
Absolutely true Tom. I agree that those engine bays were light blue. I mean '64 to '84? Twenty years on I'm guessing Lee's memory might just have been a tad fuzzy. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: