Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plastic Putty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Plastic Putty Reply with quote

Just used Perfect Plastic Putty for the first time, before I always used Tamiya White Putty.
Was just wondering what you guys use and witch one you think is better and why.
Thanks for your input
Joe
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using mainly automotive primers I use 3M spot/glazing putty. For me, I'd rather use plastic to build up whatever is needed and use putty very sparingly, for small imperfections only.
I know a lot of guys will build an entire fender flare with putty but, the thicker it goes on, the more it shrinks over time. At least that's been my experience.
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Using mainly automotive primers I use 3M spot/glazing putty. For me, I'd rather use plastic to build up whatever is needed and use putty very sparingly, for small imperfections only.
I know a lot of guys will build an entire fender flare with putty but, the thicker it goes on, the more it shrinks over time. At least that's been my experience.

Adam is right. Use as little putty as you can. Fill in areas with styrene sheets or tubes or whatever and only use the putty for seams between the styrene that you use. The putty will shrink eventually and the more you use the worse it will look. Doesn't matter what brand you use, unless you use the two part stuff that is a pain to use and toxic to boot.
iceman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using it to fill in the small grill on the left headlight panel and front noise seam on the Monogram 1989-1993 Thunderbirds
john843

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had excellent luck with USC brand autobody "Icing". It is a two-part very fine bondo glaze that comes in a 24 oz. tube (about the size of two coke cans, end to end) is easy to sand and based on a couple of 15+ yr. old builds, doesn't shrink. Another plus is this tube was bought in 2001 and I'm confident it'll outlast me!

John
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Plastic Putty is great stuff when you need to make a quick fill, or when you need to fill a gap in an area that would be a major pain to sand (think a wing/fuselage joint on an airplane). I like that I can just pack it in, wipe off the excess with a damp swab, and let it dry.

I don't think I ever used it for extensive filling or body work. For that I've used more traditional putties. Right now I'm using a big tube of 3M Acryl White for most of that work, and Apoxie Sculpt for the really big jobs or when I need to fabricate things.

Jodie Peeler
iceman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your input. I was a Auto tech for 45 years, you would have thought I would have have thought of using the real stuff (lol)
I will get some and try it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: