Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Racing is dangerous....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Racing is dangerous.... Reply with quote

https://www.wave3.com/2019/07/06/driver-killed-madison-regatta-hydroplane-incident/?fbclid=IwAR2MymDc2IKyiEEJAJm_zS8LphBqGLk-sHg-gRuMxWXSNKN55CaiLZ-hCM0
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have never seen these boats, they are scary. Hydroplanes make Sprint Cars look tame....
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them. I have also witnessed some of the most horrifying, toenail curling crashes! The collective of spectators always holds their breath until they see that helmet bob to the surface.

I get the feeling man was never meant to cover any surface that quickly. Shocked
Jim N

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really understood this kind of racing. Boats that skim the surface of the water is a recipe for disaster, because as we all know, water moves in the form of waves. And when the boats catch a few waves the wrong way things go real bad in a hurry.

Everybody knows the dangers and that may be part of the allure of the racing.
OldTrucker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 80's I was going to race a guy I worked with's old boat in a local regatta. I was one of several that were on the river practicing about a week before and caught the wake of another boat.
I will tell you it is one scary thing! I have been in firefights that didn't scare me as bad as that did!!! Maybe because it was more of a surprise?
Needless to say I have never tried racing one again!
What made it worse is I tend to swim like a rock! Luckily the vest kept me afloat but those seconds between the landing upside down and getting the harness undone seemed an eternity!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall an interview with drag racer Eddie Hill saying he made the change from drag boats to drag cars when he realized none of the drag boat world record holders were still alive.
john843

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#72 wrote:
I recall an interview with drag racer Eddie Hill saying he made the change from drag boats to drag cars when he realized none of the drag boat world record holders were still alive.

Bernie Little, the South Florida beer distributor who owned the "Miss Budweiser" unlimited hydroplanes lost three drivers himself. And if I'm not mistaken, there was a stretch some years ago where the top driver in UH was killed three years in a row or possibly three in four years.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: