Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Window blackout help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcart77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Window blackout help Reply with quote

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to black out the area around the glass on nascar models. Having trouble with getting a clean look.
john843

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcart, I had the same problem until I started doing it in two stages. What I do now is tape off the glass all the way across, leaving just the top and bottom of the windshield that I want painted exposed. I then spray it with semi-gloss black and let it dry. After removing the horizontal masking, I then mask it vertically, leaving just the two sides to be painted exposed and spray it again.
I have tried to do it all at once but like you said, it's hard to get the clean lines that way.
Also I strongly suggest Tamiya masking tape for at least the two leading edges each time that will be the break line. This principle can be applied to quarter glass also. Hope this helps.
John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat tip Sharpie.....
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Fat tip Sharpie.....

I also use a Sharpie but a chisel tip. It plants against the edge and gives a clean line.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Steve Salhany"]
DaveVan wrote:
Fat tip Sharpie.....

I also use a Sharpie but a chisel tip. It plants against the edge and gives a clean line.[/quote
Might be the same one....oval shaped pen body...angle tip???
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DaveVan"]
Steve Salhany wrote:
DaveVan wrote:
Fat tip Sharpie.....

I also use a Sharpie but a chisel tip. It plants against the edge and gives a clean line.[/quote
Might be the same one....oval shaped pen body...angle tip???

Yes, its called Chisel tip, but its fat , so close enough Laughing
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a tutorial on my Youtube channel how to do windows ( not NASCAR windows but it applies that too)

Use Tamiya masking tape, the 18mm one, cover the inside , then, take a pencil, sharpened, and trace around the separation line , then use a sharp #11 blade or something similar and then slowly and carefully go around that trace line, and now you have just made a window mask.

Or, you could just use a Chisel tip Sharphie and save yourself some time its what I do most of the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: