Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have your building habits changed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Have your building habits changed? Reply with quote

I used to (like 20 years ago), build every new NASCAR kit that was issued. Now I find that I buy older kits and build old NASCAR racers or modify street cars into local heroes from years past. I have never been into street versions of cars only racers. Have your habits changed?
Rocketman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my son was born and building dropped to near zero. Most builds now are slam together in one sitting with 4 year old.

Quality father son time more priority than quality builds.

However, I've still been bit by bit getting old shelved builds finished
working on them here and there late nights. Such as the BP Laguna
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m building (and finishing) more than ever. NASCAR has always been my passion, so I always felt like if I was building, it needed to be a NASCAR. Unfortunately, you can only build the same kit so many times before you get burned out...

Once I gave myself “permission” to build varied subjects, I began to have a lot more fun. In the past year I’ve finished two street cars, two road racers, a Formula 1 car, and yes, a NASCAR. I have an Indycar and modified ready to roll off the bench in the next couple of weeks.

There are still a hundred different NASCARs I’d like to build, but realistically I will only get to a handful of them. I have to keep changing things up to keep the hobby interesting. Fortunately there are enough great kits out that I can keep building interesting new subjects for the rest of my life.

Last edited by Rob Spires on Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
BW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I'm a little more selective in the subjects I build now. I have a list of race cars I want to build and have all the kits and decals for them so anything new has to really grab my attention. Just bought Salvinos Bobby Allison Monte Carlo. This is the first "NEW" kit I've bought in a long time.

Also, some of you may not know this about me, I also build military aircraft in 1/72 scale. I haven't built any aircraft in a while so I'm wanting to get back to building some more in the near future. Just bought the Grandmodels 1/72 T-6 Texan II trainer aircraft. (The new USN and USAF trainer aircraft.) It's a resin and photo etch kit and is a killer looking kit. It will make a nice addition to my military a/c collection. These real aircraft fly over my house all the time from out of Columbus (MS) AFB. I guess they're doing cross country training and shooting approaches into Birmingham Airport then returning to Columbus. One nice looking aircraft.

Anyway, that's where I am presently in my model building hobby. I still enjoy the hobby. I still attend a few shows each year and I'm always keeping an eye out for new kits, decals, and tools.
Bobby
R.J.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted Bobby Allison's Bre 510 Datsun tonight that I started on January 1 of this year, 7 months to build 1 box stock kit. The number
of builds has been my biggest change the last several years as my eye site and dexterity have have begun to fail me when it comes the small and fine detail work. I keep a list of when I finish a build and from 2004 until 2007 I built and finished 23 models almost 6 a year average, from 2008 until the one I finished this week I have built and finished 20 models which is about 1.5 models a year with exactly 1 build a year the last 3 years.
I still love building but with diminished skills and less energy after work as I get on in my late 50's in age the builds have just slowed way down.

The last 20 years or so I have built mainly Bobby and Davey Allison race cars and I have all the stuff to do about 50 Bobby and Davey race cars right now and I have already excepted the fact that they will all never get done but I plan to have fun trying.
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to my teens it was street cars. By then it was the early-mid '70s when street stock annual kits were dwindling away. The interest in NASCAR was already established, so the NASCAR MPCs, then the early '80s Monogram kits were my main kit buys. As a teen I would do a kit in 2 or three sittings, but gradually as I increasingly modified, corrected, and detailed more sharply, build time stretched out longer. I complete maybe 2 or three cars a year. I have also been getting back to my other modeling love - WW1 aircraft. I could do maybe one or two a year of those. I still work full time, but with kids grown and out of the house I have more time. I was totally Mr. Dad when the kids came along and building took a 20 year hiatus. I knew I would get back to it though!
john843

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my problems with my modeling output is that I'm a victim of
my own improvement. What I mean by that is 20 years ago, when I got back into modeling I was perfectly content to build kit's box-stock with little extra
done to it. I would just polish out the paint and make sure the decals were perfect and the stance was "right". Then after a couple of years of going to shows and being on Randy's forum, I started incorporating things like thinning the wheel well openings on EVERY kit, replacing exhaust, vent tubes, torsion bars, etc. with aluminum tube, and a lot of other small but time-consuming fixes. Now all these fixes are routine and my output has gone from 4-6 builds a year to MAYBE 2 or 3. Sometimes I feel like the old Saturday Night Live Phil Hartman character "The Anal Retentive Carpenter" who could never build anything because he would get so caught up in disposing of his waste wood and keeping his work area clean and tidy that in every instance he would run out of time without really even starting anything.
Another thing that has changed significantly is that I used to work on one kit at a time only. Now I like to keep 2 or 3 builds going at different stages
of completion and jumping back and forth between them seems to break the monotony of plowing thru one kit from start to end.

John
spooker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
One of my problems with my modeling output is that I'm a victim of my own improvement.

Exactly! John perfectly described the arc of my modeling career! Trying to get back to OOB builds, but now I'm doing some higher-end kits, like a Trumpeter 1/12 Ford GT, lots of detail included but it's already there, so just detail painting and careful assembly will produce a really nice model. After I retire (about a year from now) I hope to get back to scratchbuilding a few short track cars but will try to stick mainly with better quality kits OOB, like Tamiya F1.

Brian
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has slowed. Illness has limited my time building. I still buy lots with the intent of building.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still buy lots with the intent of building.

Me too, but I am slowing down. I'm mulling over a wholesale reduction of my stash this fall/winter. I'm never going to get it all built. And some of the stuff I have flat out lost interest in. I don't think I'll ever totally just quit, but at some point common sense has to be considered.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Gary. I retired several years ago and last year I took a good inventory of my models, decals etc. I had the models and decals I could not remember the project I bought them for . I have already started reducing both kits and decals. However I have bought a few since then. Bought several of the Salvino kits plus several non Nascar kits. I just bought a Ferrari Grand Prix kit as I just realized that is one form of racing I have never built a model of.
Bill
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, I got burned out around 1979/1980, after building a decent number (for me anyway) from 1973. Most of those builds, bit the dust due to several moves over the years (from 1981 to 2016) around 1987 when I tried getting back into building models, only finished 2, that being the 1st 2 Monogram sprints (Kinser & Swindell) other attempts never got finished and got tossed...Tried again in 2006, but could never finish one build....since them several half hearted attempts were made, but all stalled. But kept buying kits here and there, and now quite a few via mail...All have ideas of what I want to do with them, but never get around to getting started on them....

Plus another much cheaper (these days) hobby takes up my time....
Jim N

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 1990's and into the 2000's, I would buy kits and decals that looked interesting. The collection of unbuilt kits and decals ballooned. I would also complete a kit about every 4 - 6 weeks.

Now I tend to be a lot more selective in what I buy. I really have to want to build a car before I buy the kit and the decals. I am also digging a little deeper in the collection and building more of the kits I bought a number of years ago. My production is also down to about 2 - 4 kits a year.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the fun is building the kit. After it's done I put it on the shelf and let it get full of dust. I have taken to building local hero cars and either giving them to family members or if the want, giving me the price of the kit. Nothing is more rewarding that handing a model of a deceased dads car to a son and watching him tear up. There is no greater reward than that..........
Schumacher330

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger I built every NASCAR kit I could, and without cable TV at the time, and the internet? What's that? all I had for reference was newspapers, Circle Track magazine and Stock Car Racer magazine and the placement sheets on JNJ decals.

Then came the 90's with the net, and this place and Slixx and other wonderful decal makers and it was a great time to build....

Now, I don't build as much. Getting older, other priorities, and honestly sometimes the model message board drama sucks any fun out of building for me. I do build some NASCAR, but mainly from the greyside. It was a fun, more innocent time of my life and gives me some good memories.
WR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was fun to build them straight out of the box when I was young so that is what I do now, sometimes you can overthink them and it takes the fun out.
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes they have Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: