Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earnhardt #98 Olympia MC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radar43

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Earnhardt #98 Olympia MC Reply with quote

I found a photo on the net and it was of the #98 1977 Monte Carlo with Olympia Beer sponsorship, Mike Curb on the hood in Rod Osterlund colors. Was this Late Model Sportsman Series car that Dale Earnhardt drove Sat. Oct. 7 1978 in the World Service Life 300 at Charlotte? I have photos of the Grand National #98 he drove at Atlanta on Nov. 5 1978 and the #98 Kelly Girl car at Ontario. Dale did not start the race but took over for Jimmy Insolo and Jimmy received credit for the start not Dale. Any information would be great.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olympia car was driven by Herschel McGriff in the 1980 Ontario race. I assume it was brought out and qualified as a backup to ensure Earnhardt would have a car in the race to drive and earn points to secure the championship.
Radar43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: #98 Reply with quote

Thanks Tom your information was interesting and help my research. Thank You.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Earnhardt #98 Olympia MC Reply with quote

Radar43 wrote:
I found a photo on the net and it was of the #98 1977 Monte Carlo with Olympia Beer sponsorship, Mike Curb on the hood in Rod Osterlund colors. Was this Late Model Sportsman Series car that Dale Earnhardt drove Sat. Oct. 7 1978 in the World Service Life 300 at Charlotte? I have photos of the Grand National #98 he drove at Atlanta on Nov. 5 1978 and the #98 Kelly Girl car at Ontario. Dale did not start the race but took over for Jimmy Insolo and Jimmy received credit for the start not Dale. Any information would be great.

I have further info on the Dale Earnhardt, SR. # 98 Monte Carlo, from Forty Years of Stock Car Racing -- Volume 4. At the last race of the 1978 NASCAR Winston Cup Season, the L.A. Times 500 at Ontario Motor Speedway, Dale would again drive a 2nd Rod Osterlund Chevy ( Dave Marcis was in the primary car # 2 ). A quote from the race write - up : " West Coast regular Jimmy Insolo was seated in the second Rod Osterlund Chevrolet, and he came in seventh with relief help from Dale Earnhardt. Earnhardt had his eyes on the 1979 Rookie of the Year award, and he faced ineligibility if he started the event. In order to be considered a rookie, a driver can make no more than five starts in a single season. Earnhardt had started five going into the Ontario 500-miler."
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Earnhardt #98 Olympia MC Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
Radar43 wrote:

I have further info on the Dale Earnhardt, SR. # 98 Monte Carlo, from Forty Years of Stock Car Racing -- Volume 4. At the last race of the 1978 NASCAR Winston Cup Season, the L.A. Times 500 at Ontario Motor Speedway, Dale would again drive a 2nd Rod Osterlund Chevy ( Dave Marcis was in the primary car # 2 ). A quote from the race write - up : " West Coast regular Jimmy Insolo was seated in the second Rod Osterlund Chevrolet, and he came in seventh with relief help from Dale Earnhardt. Earnhardt had his eyes on the 1979 Rookie of the Year award, and he faced ineligibility if he started the event. In order to be considered a rookie, a driver can make no more than five starts in a single season. Earnhardt had started five going into the Ontario 500-miler."

True, but that car wasn't Olympia sponsored.
john843

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Earnhardt #98 Olympia MC Reply with quote

True, but that car wasn't Olympia sponsored.[/quote]

Correct, as Radar43 stated, it was sponsored by Kelly Girl.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: