Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you radius wheel wells?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LastoftheV8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: How do you radius wheel wells? Reply with quote

i purchase one of the hurst olds monogram kits in the hopes to do a Warren Johnson pro stock. Can any give an explanation or perhaps a link to a thread with pictures on how to change the wheel openings on the fenders? Anything you can do to be descriptive as possible is greatly appreciated.

Perhaps the logical thing to do is dremel or somehow X acts knife? but no way I could freehand that and make it look like a disaster.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large diameter wood dowl or plastic pipe about 1/2" smaller than the wheel well size you want. Wrap with med grit sand paper and slowly sand until you get what you want.....my way anyway.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used small oval files, available from MicroMark and maybe your local hardware store.
Wall tester

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use same method as Dave. Just take your time and keep checking size as you get close to finishing. Not complicated. Maybe practice on old body to get feel for it. Good luck
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have any old 35mm film canisters, they are good for refining the radius if you wrap some sandpaper around them. I have some of the APS canisters, which are oval, and work well on the more elliptical openings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: