Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whatever happened to BSR Replicas and Finishes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Whatever happened to BSR Replicas and Finishes? Reply with quote

Besides the obvious answer of “they closed”. Was wondering if there was some sort of story.

Used to love ordering their stuff, especially the paint. Their rattle cans had the best nozzles.
Sundance

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: No story that I know of Reply with quote

He used to make decals and other things as well. I don't believe there was any story. He had a brick and mortar store as well. A friend took me there once, I believe it was outside of Atlanta. I think nascar, his specialty, just dried up and he closed up. I believe he also had some health issues. Back about the time he closed up, a bunch of decal makers were getting cease and desist letters also. That could have added to it as well.

He was occasionally posting on the board before the big crash.
Mack

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Brigman was the owners name. He is a top notch guy. I still have about twenty cans of his "Metro" paints. I test sprayed a lot of it last month and to my surprise it's still good. He was the guy that printed the "Yesterdays" line of decals. If I'm not mistaken, he got a job with an aerospace outfit. He also used to sponsor this forum. He was a fantastic vendor.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William came to the ACME show in Atlanta every November until last year selling off leftover odds and ends from the brick and mortar store and the decal business. I always enjoyed seeing him there.
john843

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, used to love to go to his place in Fayetteville(Ga.) when he was in the strip mall there. I think it was not long after Slixx got fed up and bailed on doing any Nascar that he took the business online only and not long after, shut down. Every time I went to a show in the Atlanta area I would stop by on the way and as soon as I told him I was headed to a show, he would insist I go to the car and get whatever builds I was taking and bring them in for him to check out. He would go over each one VERY thoroughly and tell me what he liked and also, what he would have done differently. He really liked to see the results of other builders using his decals.
William was the epitome of what a vendor should be.

John
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph and I visited William's shops at least three times: once at the old Fayetteville shop (where we missed him that day), at least once (maybe twice?) when he moved to the shopping center in Peachtree City, and then when he was working out of a warehouse-type storefront just over from a shopping center in Peachtree City. I used to correspond with him a decent little bit and we came very close to doing a decal project together for the Yesterday's line, but it never came to pass. I think not long after that, he just ran things from his home. IIRC, he got employed by Delta Air Lines or one of its related companies.

I know the realities he had to contend with - to make a small fortune in the hobby, you start out with a large fortune - but I miss having William around. It was always fun to deal with him and a visit to his shop was always great. I remember his decal stock being in filing cabinets and what fun it was when he would say "look through there and let me know if there's anything you like." I haven't corresponded with him in a long time, but I hope he's happy and doing well. He was always very good to me.

Jodie Peeler
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William was big into comic books as well. I met him in 2001.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I seem to recall the store he had in the plaza in Peachtree City was really heavy on comics and gaming inventory. At first I thought we were in the wrong place but we soon met up with William and all was well, and we had a grand time looking through decals and making William a little richer when we were done.

I go to Peachtree City every couple years for my FAA medical exam and I think of William when I drive past that shopping center. Those were fun times and I sure do miss them.

Jodie Peeler
Wedge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William was one of THE ones that opened several doors for the new wave of nascar modeling. I bought yesterdays decals just because they were cool. And honestly, if you have those decals Id almost recommend not using them just for collector item type stuff...Im not gonna use mine. He and I talked several times on the phone and (Im not putting words in his mouth...just what I remember) all of the different color schemes on the cars is what kinda killed it for him. By the time he would get the art and a set made, sent off to cartograf, and come back customers had moved on to the next "cool" scheme. That and family time I think finally just did it for him. Now, all this being said we will forever be indebted to him for the avenues he opened and possibilities provided in this hobby. Great guy doing great things. We need more like him.

Wade
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to take anything away from William, everything here is true ,but another guy who helped the hobby a lot is Fred Cady. I know, his decals were a pain to layer, but for a long time he was the only source for any old Nascar decals from the 1950's thru the early 80's.

William, Fred, and the gentleman who founded J and J decals (his name escapes me) helped the hobby get to where it is today.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a big community pf great folks that made products for our little part of the hobby. Many are still here today plugging away....others have moved on.....all contributed to the hobby.
R.J.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I had a home computer and the internet getting that little 5x7 bright colored card from BSR ever other month or so with all the new decals and kits on it was a real hobby high light of mine.
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Hampton Ga, just about 30 mins east of Fayetteville. I remember the good ole days of driving myself over to his store when I was a teenager. I could never get enough of his supplies. I specifically remember asking him "how come no one makes a very good specific sheet for Ricky Rudd's Tide T-bird?" And after all these years, I can clearly remember his answer. "I don't know why they don't...BUT if you are willing to pay for a sheet...I know a guy. (WINK) Of course I didn't buy one, but he was a guy who was years ahead of his time and I regret to this day that I didn't pay for one. I too still have a plethora of his paints, and for the time, he had them matched perfectly! I remember his decals always in photo albums and filing cabinets. It was such a great store and to this day, I seriously miss it. Glad I got to know him as a regular customer. He was a decal guy way ahead of his time. For me, SLIXX was the aftermarket decal company, but his store is where I found the Tide MOUNTAIN SPRING sheet. Great guy and loved his store! Great memories!
BW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William is a first-class guy! He is also a true pioneer of the stock car model aftermarket decal industry! I see him at the Atlanta NNL show every year. He has sold just about all of his leftover stock. He never stays for very long but I always make it a point to talk with him for a bit while he's at the show. Wish I had bought multiples of all his decal sheets. To this day the Red Farmer decal sheet is my all-time favorite. Wish he was still in business.
Bobby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: