Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pesky Details - NR2003 GN70ss Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nolimitphil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Pesky Details - NR2003 GN70ss Thread Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I have been doing paint schemes for a mod to an old PC racing sim that's still kicking these days - NASCAR Racing 2003 Season - namely, the 1970 Grand National Series mod (GN70ss). And exclusively Superbirds, for now.

My work can be found here (feel free to provide constructive criticism):
https://stunodracing.net/index.php?resources/authors/nolimitphil.7114/

There are a few details I need help with - hoping someone here can point me in the right direction! Smile For your efforts, I can maybe siphon out some cryptocurrency (you can thank me later with a Lambo haha).

In order of "desire to figure out" / priority:

PESKY DETAIL 1: John Soares, Jr. #08 Superbird, 1970 Falstaff 400 - - - RESOLVED!!! Thanks, Wingcar Builder! - - -
On the rear C-pillar, there is a red colored sticker/decal. I believe it might say "ACE" ... Ace Hardware Store? Or some local business? Would like a good reference photo to be able to accurately recreate logo and text.

PESKY DETAIL 2: Dick Bown #02 Superbird, 1970 Falstaff 400 - - - RESOLVED!!! Thanks, Firefly! - - -
Contingency stickers... I cannot make them out in any photos... I've used a 1/32 slot car as reference in the meantime, but I'm certain it's not completely accurate.

PESKY DETAIL 3: Richard Brickhouse #14 Superbird, 1970 Daytona 500.
Any decent pictures of the back of the car? Also, in B&W photos I've seen (reference photo here: Link), there are three stickers on the rear wing. I believe I've correctly identified two of the three: (a) Good Year, (b) Bill Ellis Automotive, (c) ???. The last is a small circular sticker on top of the two other stickers.

There are a few more inquiries I have, but I'll save them for later...

THANKS! Smile

Last edited by nolimitphil on Sat May 11, 2019 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
john843

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, that is some truly impressive work in your link. Thanks for sharing it .

John
nolimitphil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem! Thanks for checking 'em out. Very Happy

-Phil
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best I can find so far in the Petersen archive, not much help...

nolimitphil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the contrary, Firefly! This is gold! Thanks a ton!

I can make out all of the contingency stickers in the #02 Superbird photos - with the exception of the sticker between STP and "Great Ones" S-K Tools ... but I suspect it's "Perfect/Winner's Circle"... good enough for me.

These photos also reveal extra details that I did not include originally, such as the white shadowing/outline of "Portland, ORE.", "Auto Wrecking", and the driver name on the roof. Furthermore, the cubic inch displacement call-out is "CU IN" instead of "C.I.".

PESKY DETAIL2 is RESOLVED!

The #08 Superbird photo does reveal some details of importance. I didn't have a good shot of the hood, so this is helpful in that regard.

PM me if there's any way I can pay my respects! Very Happy

Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - glad to help!
I looked for images with the Brickhouse Superbird, and this the best I could find. The bottom decal looks like an older Prestone logo, but white instead of red.

nolimitphil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, not bad! The top sticker appears to feature a musical eighth note... perhaps some type of hometown callout? I hate to completely give up, but I may have to throw in the towel on this one.

You’re right about the bottom one looking like an old Prestone sticker. I assumed it was a Bill Ellis Automotive sticker based on this photo of another one of his race cars: https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/february-1969-bill-ellis-owned-cars-that-ran-in-several-nascar-over-picture-id142644060

I don’t mean to take advantage of your time and resources, but could you also check for any photos of Kevin Terris’ Superbird, also from the 1970 Riverside Falstaff 400 race? #32, has a vinyl roof. I think the front of the car says “On the seventh day, God made the HONK” - but not 100% on that last word.

If not, it’s totally cool. I’m well aware of what a PITA these wild goose chases are... I came to this forum as an absolute last resort.
odcics2

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://archive.petersen.org/pages/home.php

PLENTY of pics here!

Have fun!
nolimitphil

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link, odcics2! Very Happy
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea -- Thanks a LOT... I'm only on page 12 of 588 total !!! Lotsa good stuff already, including a Winston West 1974 Plymouth Sebring car # 32, which was Ray Elder's last MOPAR ride. There goes my weekend... Rolling Eyes
nolimitphil

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
Yea -- Thanks a LOT... I'm only on page 12 of 588 total !!! Lotsa good stuff already, including a Winston West 1974 Plymouth Sebring car # 32, which was Ray Elder's last MOPAR ride. There goes my weekend... Rolling Eyes
Laughing Laughing Laughing I know, right?!

Meanwhile I'm touching up details I was previously content with... ignorance is bliss!
odcics2

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can search by year or race, like "1971 Daytona 500" for example...

Have fun!
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odcics2 wrote:
You can search by year or race, like "1971 Daytona 500" for example...

Have fun!

There are not a lot of specific description tags, just year and location, or event name. That means hours and hours of enjoyable scrolling!
33fan

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Hey - glad to help!
I looked for images with the Brickhouse Superbird, and this the best I could find. The bottom decal looks like an older Prestone logo, but white instead of red

I'm pretty sure the top decal is the MOPAR Bee. After spending hours pouring over photos at the Peterson website, I discovered that Bee decal on a number
of cars. Its on the 3, the 5, the 71, the 96. Those are all Dodges and the 14 is obviously a Plymouth, but it sure looks like that decal to me. Many thanks for the link to Petersons!!!!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

33fan wrote:
Firefly wrote:
Hey - glad to help!
I looked for images with the Brickhouse Superbird, and this the best I could find. The bottom decal looks like an older Prestone logo, but white instead of red

I'm pretty sure the top decal is the MOPAR Bee. After spending hours pouring over photos at the Peterson website, I discovered that Bee decal on a number
of cars. Its on the 3, the 5, the 71, the 96. Those are all Dodges and the 14 is obviously a Plymouth, but it sure looks like that decal to me. Many thanks for the link to Petersons!!!!

I was thinking the same thing. The Dodge Scat Pack decal.
33fan

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. There is writing along the bottom of the decal which is the Scat Pack. Super Bee would be top and bottom. I also found a shot of the #30 with it on the wing.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's probably the one in the top middle.

33fan

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one I used.
nolimitphil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

33fan, Tom M.,

Thanks for the responses... hmm... I don't know... the verdict is still out for me on that small circular decal. Unfortunately the Petersen Digital archive never responded to my request for the high res photo.

I do have another question, however...
Anyone have a photo or scan of the vintage Dow Performance contingency sticker with a dragon?

It looks like this Unicorn variant, but facing the opposite direction (link below).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/5FWEix3IA5j-HRdTEEnVvhV6dX7r7wbVH0pfzvTRC77xxHVmfWzRFSonSY31YFFRsPblfC0_7VewxezSTKBEYVy90SjplDcDM106ICVTbGsoiWzi4StfbKTwI4Vz_kdcmNUWehEGZ7IwcDTa2Kkd77g9VsNfFEL5_By_OQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: