Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

During the Dover NASCAR race rain delay......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: During the Dover NASCAR race rain delay...... Reply with quote

they talked model cars!! Mike Joy had found a Monogram Darrell Waltrip double combo kit at a thrift store so he bought it and brought it to DW. They then had a short conversation about building kits as kids......Mike Joy said he'd have his 20 year old son build them as he had never built models (his son). Mike did know enough to say the kit was 'sealed inside' and complete with good decals!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall Mike writing about model building back in his Stock Car Racing magazine days. He mentions various kits often during the Barrett Jackson auctions.
Mack

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#72 wrote:
I recall Mike writing about model building back in his Stock Car Racing magazine days. He mentions various kits often during the Barrett Jackson auctions.

Same here. He used to have a page occasionally in Circle Track or SCR where he featured models. One of his features was the first time I saw an 87 Thunderbird built as a Red Barons/Junie Donlavey car. I was mesmerized. A short while later Scale Auto did a "how to" on making that body. It required an 83-86 Monogram TBird and a Monogram 87 TBird street car model kit. I built one of Daveys rookie car using JnJ decals. Man, the good ol days.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While re-watching the 2001 Daytona 500 I was amused when a shot of Jeff Gordon's beaten-up car was accompanied by Mike Joy saying, "Now there's one you won't find in 1:24 scale!" I knew Mike had been associated with model building back in the day but the line amused me regardless.

I remember talking several years ago to a newspaper writer who had covered NASCAR for a long time and was surprised when he mentioned he still had some Monogram stock car kits from the '80s stored away in a closet. I'd imagine there are more than a few like him out there who have dabbled in our little hobby.

Jodie Peeler
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:
While re-watching the 2001 Daytona 500 I was amused when a shot of Jeff Gordon's beaten-up car was accompanied by Mike Joy saying, "Now there's one you won't find in 1:24 scale!" I knew Mike had been associated with model building back in the day but the line amused me regardless.

I remember talking several years ago to a newspaper writer who had covered NASCAR for a long time and was surprised when he mentioned he still had some Monogram stock car kits from the '80s stored away in a closet. I'd imagine there are more than a few like him out there who have dabbled in our little hobby.

Jodie Peeler

When I helped run Deb's Model Car in Charlotte during the boom era in NASCAR models......maybe 60% of our sales were to non-builders. We'd have gradmas coming in asking for a DE Sr kit....just to have. Ken Schrader, Doug Yates and many crew members were customers........YES...the good old days!!
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:

When I helped run Deb's Model Car in Charlotte during the boom era in NASCAR models......maybe 60% of our sales were to non-builders. We'd have gradmas coming in asking for a DE Sr kit....just to have. Ken Schrader, Doug Yates and many crew members were customers........YES...the good old days!!

I wish I had a time machine and could go back to that moment and that time. Hearing stories from those days I'm struck by the kind of enjoyment I hear about. We're spoiled for availability of kits (seriously, if there's something you need, it's only a web search away) and quality of aftermarket these days, but so often it feels there's something missing.

On another television-related topic, a couple weeks back I was looking at the 1987 Daytona 500. CBS cold-opened its broadcast with a short piece showing the real #7 car being wheeled past and a fictional driver (who wasn't Kulwicki) sitting on the back of a hauler looking on, and it went into a flashback about this fictional driver's journey to his first Daytona 500 start. One of the moments from the flashback was the kid building a Petty Blue Jo-Han '69 Road Runner - box prominent on the desk and everything - and painting "his" number 7 on the door with one of the square bottles of Testors black paint. It was a pretty neat moment that I imagine more than a few racers have known....

Jodie Peeler
Mack

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

I wish I had a time machine and could go back to that moment and that time. Hearing stories from those days I'm struck by the kind of enjoyment I hear about. We're spoiled for availability of kits (seriously, if there's something you need, it's only a web search away) and quality of aftermarket these days, but so often it feels there's something missing.

On another television-related topic, a couple weeks back I was looking at the 1987 Daytona 500. CBS cold-opened its broadcast with a short piece showing the real #7 car being wheeled past and a fictional driver (who wasn't Kulwicki) sitting on the back of a hauler looking on, and it went into a flashback about this fictional driver's journey to his first Daytona 500 start. One of the moments from the flashback was the kid building a Petty Blue Jo-Han '69 Road Runner - box prominent on the desk and everything - and painting "his" number 7 on the door with one of the square bottles of Testors black paint. It was a pretty neat moment that I imagine more than a few racers have known....

Jodie Peeler

It's odd what the memory can do. Prior to the internet, I recall attending a NASCAR collectible swap meet. In those days any old MPC kit was nearly gold. A vendor had a few along with a Bobby Allison AMT Coke Monte Carlo. WOW!!!! I was a kid again! Looking at that old box art sure brought back the memories. I loved the way it made me feel. May sound odd, but it was a really cool thing for me.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mack"][quote="octopusmotor"]
DaveVan wrote:

It's odd what the memory can do. Prior to the internet, I recall attending a NASCAR collectible swap meet. In those days any old MPC kit was nearly gold. A vendor had a few along with a Bobby Allison AMT Coke Monte Carlo. WOW!!!! I was a kid again! Looking at that old box art sure brought back the memories. I loved the way it made me feel. May sound odd, but it was a really cool thing for me.

I feel the same way nowadays when I find Athearn Blue Box HO model train kits. In the current era of Checkbook Modeling in Model Railroading, it is nice to actually have to put it together, rather than simply removing the car from the box ( hopefully without tearing off some of the tiny details. )
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
I feel the same way nowadays when I find Athearn Blue Box HO model train kits. In the current era of Checkbook Modeling in Model Railroading, it is nice to actually have to put it together, rather than simply removing the car from the box ( hopefully without tearing off some of the tiny details. )

Even after switching from HO to O 3R in 1993.....I hold onto to Athearn blue box kits I had in my stash. They are more than just simple kits.....but a link to an era we will never see again. Many are priced under $3 for a nice little model that would run down the track. I recall getting paid on Tue every week in high school and going to Whistle Stop Hobbies and buying two blue box kits with my weekly hobby budget of $5. A simple time.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

Jodie Peeler

I still remember watching that intro, live in '87 in my living room. "Lucky number 7..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: