Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earnhardt's '77 Monte Carlo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2002p51

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Earnhardt's '77 Monte Carlo Reply with quote

The August issue of Stock Car Racing magazine contained a story on the then "up and coming" new kid on the block, Dale Earnhardt. (No Sr. yet)

I want to share those photos here for those of you who might be building one of the Salvino Monte Carlos.

There are several things to note here. First, the lower body crease that some have tried to correct on the model doesn't appear to be there on the real car. The lower body just rolls under. Also notice the slight flairs above each wheel opening. Second, the interior doesn't look like it's blue. Look closely at the small part of un-padded roll bar at the top of window opening. It might be yellow or even maybe gray. Of course this is a Riverside car as noted by the fuel filler being on the right side.

Next, the bumpers are aluminum not chrome plated steel. Most cars of the day had polished aluminum bumpers to save a little weight. The polish is definitely off the bumpers in the photos.

The article also had this small black and white photo which doesn't add much more information.

Even a larger scan doesn't help mch.

[/img]

Last edited by 2002p51 on Wed May 01, 2019 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a 77 Monte Carlo. The 79 was one of those short dog cars that the body was changed in 1978. I know because I had one. I doubt if the 79 was ever driven in nascar. It was one of those stubby looking little monte carlos.
2002p51

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, you're right. I had '79 in my mind 'cause the photos were in a 1979 magazine issue.

Thanks for the catch! Smile
R.J.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the top picture happened to be an ex Penski road course car from 1977 season if very well could have gray interior.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear fender and trunklid look WAY Too HIGH and flat for stock. I realize the car is at an angle to the camera, but still I wonder how that bodywork slipped past NASCAR ??? Rolling Eyes
2002p51

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
The rear fender and trunklid look WAY Too HIGH and flat for stock. I realize the car is at an angle to the camera, but still I wonder how that bodywork slipped past NASCAR ??? Rolling Eyes

Because NASCAR wasn't near as strict about that stuff as they are today.

I can tell you a story. When I first started covering races for Stock Car Racing magazine in 1983 I used to enjoy watching tech inspection. I will never forgot watching the crew bring a car through and the NASCAR officials placing the center line template on the car. Nothing like today's sophisticated cage type affair, just a single piece of aluminum that defined the profile of the car.

The hood was too high right at the base of the windshield and that held the template about an inch above the hood at the front. A crewman came over and pushed down on the back of the hood a couple of times. They put the template back on and now it was still 7/8" of an inch above the front.

The officials signaled okay and the crew moved the car out. No rejection, nobody was fined, nobody was suspended like they do today. Smile
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea - I remember those " One Size Fits All " templates, the ones you could slide your hand under at the nose !!! Laughing
Nowadays NASCAR's template fetish even extends to the K & N West Regional Series. Last August during tech for the race at Monroe, WA., the inspectors made several teams pound the rear edge of the roof UP by maybe Half an Inch, for a 200 Lap race... on a 5/8th Mile Oval !!! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: