Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1973 & 1974 Chevelle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulln4dejr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Taillight panel Reply with quote

Thought I'd throw this in, if you take and open the grille area on the AMT Kit and install the chrome from the rear it'll look similar to the MPC Kit, sand the taillight covers smooth, take a piece of scrap sheet plastic, paint it aluminum, then take a whole puncher and make four round taillight covers! Did one a while back and it turned out pretty nice! Also opened the 1/4 windows up as well.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Taillight panel Reply with quote

pulln4dejr wrote:
Thought I'd throw this in, if you take and open the grille area on the AMT Kit and install the chrome from the rear it'll look similar to the MPC Kit, sand the taillight covers smooth, take a piece of scrap sheet plastic, paint it aluminum, then take a whole puncher and make four round taillight covers! Did one a while back and it turned out pretty nice! Also opened the 1/4 windows up as well.
One's up on ebay right now. No box. Imma try and snag it but, I'm not sure how much I'm still into this project after talking to Jim. Sounds like they might have one planned. Still like to have it for my collection though.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still going to go for the kit but, honestly, if the rear bumper was the only real necessity out of this kit, I really didn't need to buy it. (Just being honest) I do agree that in subtle ways the MPC body has a better look overall and being a grail, I'm feeling like there might be some room for a good, affordable resin body kit. Lord knows there's plenty chassis sets for it right now!!

SO, the plan is tentatively thus. If I can snag a fresh, unbuilt I want to do a body set of the original exactly as it was originally. Then, I'll make modifications to the front and read to dress it up a bit. Even if I don't win this kit, backup plans are in place by way of a couple really great guys.

Auction ends next Monday, wish me luck. In the mean time for giggles and grins, don't tell me "I'll take three" (although, VERY happy to sell three at once!) those lists never work out.

Let's do this: Instead of telling me how many you would buy if available, just tell me how many you would eventually build?

Me? I got four Allison cars in mind and at least one Benny Parsons Champ car, so I'm going to want five just for me. Will all five ever get built? Not bloody likely the rate I'm going! (I'll still set the first three aside for me anyway) Wink
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see building three or four. Chrome bumper Kar Kare, the Parsons car, and the Foyt gold car for sure.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the fender skirting, how different from the Yarborough kit is the rear bumper on the Pepsi Laguna? Additionally, how bad/good is the AMT Malibu chassis?
Mack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Aside from the fender skirting, how different from the Yarborough kit is the rear bumper on the Pepsi Laguna? Additionally, how bad/good is the AMT Malibu chassis?

The Malibu/Chevelle chassis is almost identical to the AMT Monte Carlo kit. Not tooooo swooft.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
The Malibu/Chevelle chassis is almost identical to the AMT Monte Carlo kit. Not tooooo swooft.

The Chassis, interior, motor are the same in all AMT Chevelle/Laguna and Monte Carlo. The body, chrome and clear are separate.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumper pics. You can see how the trunk cutline and the bumper height are different, the entire bumper shape is unique to the '73.

Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparison of the actual bumpers:

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's a '74, for what it's worth. Looks identical to the '75 which would make sense.

Here's the '73 to '74 front bumper comparison while we're at it. Note the small grilles under the headlights are more prominent on the '73.

'73:

'74:
Firefly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important to note - the race-prepped bumpers were sectioned (to be near flush with the side of the bodywork). The MPC kits seem to reflect this modification.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
And here's a '74, for what it's worth. Looks identical to the '75 which would make sense.

Here's the '73 to '74 front bumper comparison while we're at it. Note the small grilles under the headlights are more prominent on the '73.

'73:

'74:

The 1974 Chevelle has the same rear bumper as the 1975, but the drop - center trunk lid from the 1973 !!! Notice also the rear fender ends are different.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have clarified that I was talking specifically about the bumpers in my post.
23Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my '74, just for show off purposes.

[img][/img]
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Okay so, maybe this will amuse... mildly.

I've been pretty Cool lately, just hangin out, staring at photos, making measurements, planning... always planning. Between this and the Monte Carlo, I've had a bumper shaped piece of something or other in my hands most of my waking hours. (And a couple while I was asleep, I'm told!)

A few days ago Abby comes through the living room and says "You in there B.K.?" I of course, was once again in my own miniature world and she tried a couple times before getting my attention, with "B.K." completely slipping my notice. Over the next few days she continued this irritating behavior as significant others are want to do.

So this morning I'd had enough. I finally asked her who or what BK was? She grinned ear to ear and said "Bumper King". Confused Rolling Eyes

"I thought I was YOUR King?"

"MY King would put down his toys and spend some time with his Queen!"

"If the King doesn't finish these soon, the peasants will never pay tribute and your CASTLE get's re-POSSESSED!"

"You're always locked inside your miniature world!"

"Oh YEAH?! Well YOU never put the toilet seat back up!"

That last one confused her sufficiently enough to get her to leave me be. I suppose I need to take her to dinner now.

Bottom line here is, first one of you that calls me "Bumper King" is gonna get the frowning of a lifetime!! Wink
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOO-KAY! FINALLY had an "Aha!" moment!

What has been screwing me up is the AMT kit's front clip! As I've said I'd never seen the MPC kit up close. Not so I'd remember details anyway. (Remember I was raised MOPAR)

The way AMT molded the clip for this kit it creates a version of Malibu that... wait for iiiiit… DOES NOT EXIST!! Rolling Eyes (sigh) The way this thing looks to me, as well as every build of it I've seen, I thought the dang thing had a onesie. I had myself convinced that the nose clip and bumper were one piece, either fiberglass or neoprene. Obviously owing to the photos above (thank you very much guys) this is not the case.

That said, I note very little difference between the front bumpers of the 1973 and 74 cars. The grille and surround is different and the rear bumpers. One way or other I'll be able to judge the bodies soon enough.

Likely I'll recreate the '73 from the MPC kit and leave the '74 alone as it's fairly available yet. MAYBE a set of correct ends and a window filler for the '73.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MPC kit represents the Laguna version which replaced the grille, header panel, and separate chrome bumper with a molded flexible urethane part.

Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
The MPC kit represents the Laguna version which replaced the grille, header panel, and separate chrome bumper with a molded flexible urethane part.

And to complicate the story a little more, the '73 urethane-nosed Laguna never raced. There is a publicity pic of a Kar-Kare Laguna somewhere, but JJ/Cale ran the chrome bumper Malibu. The MPC box photo was retouched to appear like a Laguna.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Allison and Clarence Lovell used the Laguna nose a time or two. I think there were one or two others who may have used the nose in '73 or '74 (the urethane part was the same for both years). They were very heavy though, that material had to be molded a minimum of 1/4 inch thick and it was dense.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pics of Bobby using a 74 Laguna in the Sportsman series and Cup.....about the same as a 73 A pillar forward.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Let's see if my studies have paid off.

1973 Chevelle- wraparound style grille similar to '72 Monte Carlo. Twin pod tail lights, two round either side. Had it's very own unique rear bumper. Wide open quarter windows ala Olds Cutlass.

1973 MALIBU- Same car as above but with poly nose.

1974 Chevelle- Smaller grille surface set to header panel. Box style tail lights as on the AMT kit. Again, it's own rear bumper and quarter windows smaller like Monte Carlo's of '73 and up.

1974 MALIBU- Same car as above but with poly nose.

LAGUNA- Same as above body shell with sloped nose, bar style tail lights. Another new bumper, and gill slits over the quarter windows.

Have I nailed the pertinent details?
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Confused

Have I nailed the pertinent details?

Almost there!
The Malibu is the uptrim level of the base Chevelle. Chrome bumpers.

All Urethane nose variants are Lagunas.

The '73 Laguna got a body-colored rear bumper. '74 was chrome.

Laguna "S-3" was the name from '74-76.

Smaller vertical opera window started with the '74.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOW there's a '73 LAGUNA TOO??!!

Okay first off, I am not above this project, but it's going sideways in a spectacular way. I'm going to start opening three googles at a time to straighten this mess out.

Don't really care about colored bumpers (neat info though) that's just not useful though and it muddies the waters. (Not crabbing at you, just for future reference.

What started this mess is the 1973 Chevelle so, as soon as I have a body set on hand I can get to work.

There is the 1973 Chevelle with steel bumpers which is our focus. For the Laguna version the bumper needs painted body color and we have the Malibu nose clip. Basically getting three cars out of one for the first casting. I have no problem creating a body kit that includes all options.

Next up, since the Model King issue is still fairly available we'll give that a pass and MPC recently issued the Pepsi Laguna again.

This raises the questions: Are there improvements the 74 or 76 Laguna can use to make them better. AND, would you rather be buying the kit for the styrene body and parts, or would you rather have a readily available S3 body in resin?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AMT body requires too much work around the wheelwells to be usable as-is. I would love a body with options to do '73 and '74, the Pepsi '75 kit is still pretty common. One of these days I'm going to do a correct set of louvers for the '75 and up Laguna opera windows and have them 3D printed though, the ones on the MPC body always bothered me.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:

That is a 1974 Laguna. Small B-pillar windows, rear taillight panel drops straight down to chrome bumper.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:

There is the 1973 Chevelle with steel bumpers which is our focus. For the Laguna version the bumper needs painted body color and we have the Malibu nose clip.

Just to clarify - the Urethane nose Clip is only the LAGUNA.
The REAR bumper of the '73 was body colored.

And, I don't know of any difference between the '73 CHEVELLE (base model) and MALIBU (possibly just trim, which would not be on a racing car)

The chrome bumpered '73 Chevelle/Malibu was most popular for that year body. The '74 body was also run as the Laguna.

(If there is a pic of a '73 Laguna actually racing I would love to see it.)
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
One of these days I'm going to do a correct set of louvers for the '75 and up Laguna opera windows and have them 3D printed though, the ones on the MPC body always bothered me.

I was going to suggest the Laguna window louvers as a 3D project for somebody. When I built my Laguna last year I did a lot of comparison to the real thing and the kit's rendition is seriously off. Building new ones were enough of a hassle that any of my future Lagunas are on hold until somebody can come up with a fix for that.

I think I also repositioned the window openings to more closely match the original, but that's child's play compared to those darn louvers.

Jodie Peeler
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:
Tom M. wrote:
One of these days I'm going to do a correct set of louvers for the '75 and up Laguna opera windows and have them 3D printed though, the ones on the MPC body always bothered me.

I was going to suggest the Laguna window louvers as a 3D project for somebody. When I built my Laguna last year I did a lot of comparison to the real thing and the kit's rendition is seriously off. Building new ones were enough of a hassle that any of my future Lagunas are on hold until somebody can come up with a fix for that.

I think I also repositioned the window openings to more closely match the original, but that's child's play compared to those darn louvers.

Jodie Peeler
I have a Laguna on the way. I'll look into it. I just hate all this talk of 3D printing. It's putting guys like me out to pasture. Sad
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the best way I know to get two really small complex parts that are perfect mirror images of one another. I spent $90 on a stereolithography for a pair of NASCAR modified headlight bezels for a '73 Torino resin nose conversion. Money well spent, the parts needed no additional work to use in the master and they looked great.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure wish people would size their photos so we could read other comments in this thread!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when I make them small on Fotki they show you HUGE here....I think the forum needs a display size limit in it's set up. Smae photo posted on other forums is 'normal' size but if posted here ....HUGE....MODS???
Mack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

That is a 1974 Laguna. Small B-pillar windows, rear taillight panel drops straight down to chrome bumper.

So, what tail light panel would this car have?
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:

So, what tail light panel would this car have?

This:

DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill, thanks for all the pics. I'm starting to wonder if there is any incorrect way to build any of these cars? This has been an interesting tutorial.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Bill, Dave and all of you, thank you very much! Although it doesn't seem so, I think I've got a working knowledge now of the early to mid 70's Chevelle's.

HUGE thanks goes out to Mack for his input!

Don't expect this to happen right away. I have a pair of Buicks to fix and finish, a couple T-birds squawking for attention some bumpers that need bashing and a chassis to chop. Imma be busy for a couple weeks. 'Scuse me...…..
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
... I'm starting to wonder if there is any incorrect way to build any of these cars?

The only thing I question is whether a '73 Laguna ever actually raced. I know of only two '73 Lagunas relative to NASCAR.

One is this, including a staged shot with Junior and Richard Howard at Charlotte. The car looks high in the front, (no engine?) and no spoiler. Videos and picture from both Charlotte events that year show the #11 (and the #1 Dick Trickle) car as chrome bumper Chevelle/Malibus.

The other is this one at Lennie Pond's garage. I have only seen chrome-bumper Chevelle/Malibus driven by Lennie in '73

Not sure if word got out the chrome bumpers made for better aero (the '74 Lagunas seemed to be more prevalent at smaller tracks) but would love to see any other racin' '73 Lagunas if you find 'em!
Firefly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
... "Bumper King". Confused Rolling Eyes ...

"Only one King in this place. Get these Lagunabus outta here!"

Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're on this subject maybe someone can tell me which combination of body and nose would be best to do the '74 Donnie A. blue and gold Digard #88. The one with the small open opera window and what appears to be the kind of fr. bumper that would be body colored but looks in pics to be chrome. As far as options, I have a mint MPC Kar-Kare, a Model King Laguna, an AMT generic in the blk. and white box, and an AMT Johncock. So far I've noticed that every combo of body and nose fits like a glove, (including the upper lip with headlights piece and separate chrome bumper from the Johncock and generic) and body-wise the Model King '75 and the Kar-Kare look much more realistic than the AMT bodies.
Would the Model King body with the louvers removed and the Kar-Kare nose (with bumper chromed) be closer or possibly the upper valence and chrome bumper from the Johncock on the MK body?

Thanx for any advice,

John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Model King 'Saturday night Spl' kit is the same as the vintage AMT Donnie Allison DiGaurd #88 car. It contains the 74 Chevelle nose AND the Laguna rubber nose.
spooker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that wonders what the two dark rectangles are on the rear of Bobby's car in the two B&W pics Bill posted above? What color are they?!?!?!

Brian
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
Am I the only one that wonders what the two dark rectangles are on the rear of Bobby's car in the two B&W pics Bill posted above? What color are they?!?!?!

Brian
I figured they were shadows created by the body angle and metallic paint.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:

Brian

I think it was a clear decal with black printing but I can't remember for sure and I can't find a better photo at the moment. The clear film reflected differently than the metallic gold.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
spooker wrote:

Brian

I think it was a clear decal with black printing but I can't remember for sure and I can't find a better photo at the moment. The clear film reflected differently than the metallic gold.
Oh now THAT makes sense as well! This is why I always clear my metallic paint jobs before decaling.

On a sadder note, the Laguna S-3 kit arrived today. I noticed two things right off. The opera window louvres are indeed way out of whack. I'll take care of that when I can work it in. Second, this kit comes in about the best Petty blue, they've ever done! Mad What the heck guys!

Either way it will be interesting to compare the bodies when the Yarborough kit arrives (Everybody thank Mack for stepping up... AGAIN!). You're my new best friend Mack!

I've been comparing the body to the Salvino Olds and it's easy to see the Laguna inspired parts of it. As I said, my focus will be on filling that gap of a correct '73. When it comes to the others I may do some upgrade parts down the road. Oddly enough I'm currently modifying an H.O. slot car body to a '73 Malibu.
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:

Brian

I think it's the way the gold paint is reflecting differently off the center plate covering the license plate recess.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for my own information, is there any difference, other than the rear bumper, between the 1975 and 1976 S3?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: