Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1977 Richard Petty Monte Carlo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: 1977 Richard Petty Monte Carlo Reply with quote

With all the talk about the Salvino Monte Carlo stock car kit, I thought I would see what I could do with it. I'm no expert but do enjoy building. My father is currently working on to replicate Cale Yarborough Busch Monte and complaining about how poor a kit it is. I started looking at the body after reading what others have done. I sanded the body lines on the quarters and front fenders, I worked on the trunk by added some plastic to reduce the quarter extensions. Opened up the quarter windows slightly. Primed it to see what I got now. Have some work to do around the windshield trim yet. Overall not bad. On to the chassis work, between the chassis being narrow and short (in the rear) for body and all the injection pins needing filled

jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making progress on my chassis, slow but steady. Cut strips for along the rockers and extended the rear out to finish out the trunk floor. Added to the wheel house one one side need to do the other.

john843

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That look's like some really solid improvements. Looking forward to seeing this one!

John
Bill J

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks right to me, nice work on the Monte.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge improvement in the undercarriage. Nice body tweaks. This one's rolling along nicely.
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work so far!
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel cell looked like it was going to be ti far forward so out came the knife. And since it had 3 injection pins that needed to be filled, sanding smooth and will add the straps back on.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'm about done with the sheet plastic filling on the chassis.
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is my first real look at the Monte Carlo chassis (other than the parts tree pics Adam posted). Not trying to start a debate, but all I see is MPC with a larger tunnel. How much of the rest of it (roll cage, engine, suspension, etc) is as closely related to the old MPC stuff as the frame and floor pan seem to be?

Brian
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
So this is my first real look at the Monte Carlo chassis (other than the parts tree pics Adam posted). Not trying to start a debate, but all I see is MPC with a larger tunnel. How much of the rest of it (roll cage, engine, suspension, etc) is as closely related to the old MPC stuff as the frame and floor pan seem to be?

Brian

The cage is decent. Not totally prototypically correct but it fits nice (at least in the Olds, I haven't tried the Monte yet and they ARE different) and the bars are pretty much to scale. Engine/trans is a lot like the Polar Lights smallblock Mopar in the Petty Charger, with Chevy accessories.
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
jjsipes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot a quick coat of primer on chassis to see what I had. Got a little work to do. Need to extend frame rails back and clean up some of my filler and injection pins

Also went looking for an old fuel cell top to use.
jjsipes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working on the chassis some more. Added frame rails to extend frame back. Tied the subframe to rocker rails to try and make a complete frame. Toying with using a salvaged truck arm from an AMT Stock Car.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: