Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1978 Season Buicks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radar43

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: 1978 Season Buicks Reply with quote

My research comes to, that two 1977 Buick body styles were legal for the 1978 season. Buick Century ( used a Chevy Chevelle roof ) and Buick Regal ( used a Chevy Monte Carlo roof ). Most all photos I have seen are the Century. Dale Earnhardt`s drove a Regal. Has anyone else noticed this difference in the Buicks? I have a few photos of Dale`s #2 Buick and would like to find a very nice detailed photo of the rear of the car, tail light rear of trunk lid area. It would be nice to have a Buick Regal body made. Anyone have anything to add?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the one that looked like the Olds 442 was a Century Special and the one with the formal roof and sloped nose was just a Century. All the Regals had the upright chrome nose.

Ranier had one of the notch Centurys as well, and I think D.K. Ulrich did too. D.K. probably got his from one of those other two teams when they decided it wasn't working.

FWIW, the Salvino's 442 looks more like a Century Special in the trunk area, the taillight areas are lower than the trunk lid at the rear. That's reversed on the Olds if I recall correctly.
DoctorLarry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Motorsports Hobbies created a 1977 Century resin car. It is discontinued and few turn up (I have been trying to find one for 2 years). I am creating a resin 1976 Century Indy Pace Car which could be adapted as a NASCAR stocker ( I plan to build one of my own). It is almost done but not quite.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted The good folks at SMH about that body and they told me they had no plans to re-issue it, but did not rule it out as a future release.

I eventually traded for one, and all I can say is it has some warts. Not one of the better efforts from SMH but it is the only thing available.

I haven't done much with it except clean it up a bit. I will say though, that the hood has as good of a fit that I've ever seen on a resin kit.

If you do find one, be prepared to do a great deal of prep work. The casting is quite thick and has a great deal of flash to deal with. As is often the case with resin bodies, the window openings are especially rough and will need a great deal of attention. The bumpers are well done, but like the body will require lots of sanding and filing.

I can't even say for sure what scale it is, but the Monogram chassis doesn't fit. If I ever find a Salvino Cutlass I may tried the chassis under it. Truth is, It'll probably rot away in the box it's in.
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted The good folks at SMH about that body and they told me they had no plans to re-issue it, but did not rule it out as a future release.

I eventually traded for one, and all I can say is it has some warts. Not one of the better efforts from SMH but it is the only thing available.

I haven't done much with it except clean it up a bit. I will say though, that the hood has as good of a fit that I've ever seen on a resin kit.

If you do find one, be prepared to do a great deal of prep work. The casting is quite thick and has a great deal of flash to deal with. As is often the case with resin bodies, the window openings are especially rough and will need a great deal of attention. The bumpers are well done, but like the body will require lots of sanding and filing.

I can't even say for sure what scale it is, but the Monogram chassis doesn't fit. If I ever find a Salvino Cutlass I may tried the chassis under it. Truth is, It'll probably rot away in the box it's in.
DoctorLarry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want someone to take it off your hands, pm me. I am doing a much better replica which I will resin cast but I want to see what this one looks like. I have been trying to find one for 2 years. I would post a picture but Photo Bucket won't do free third party hosting now. If you want to see what my prototype looks like, it is on the Model car magazine forum under Buick Brothers. I am simultaneously doing a 73 Buick Gran Sport with the 76 Century Pace Car.
DoctorLarry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link with pictures:
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/129502-buick-brothers/?tab=comments#comment-1879610[/url]
john843

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the link and THAT'S impressive!! Outstanding job so far.

John
Radar43

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Buick Reply with quote

DoctorLarry I would like to get one of the Pace Cars when you cast them.
DoctorLarry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem. I will post when ready. Thanks!
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the '73 GS. I'd be interested in one of each, I think.

Then all I'd need is a '73 Lemans/GTO to fill my '73 A-body collection (I have a '73 Cutlass promo, a '73 Chevelle from Missing link already)...
DoctorLarry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did one of those, too.
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/100111-1973-gto-street-machine-up-on-its-wheels-6218/[/url]
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Will have to get one of those too! Very Happy
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Larry those are impressive. would also like to get one of each when your done..........

Radar43 have you tried just using a regular body and adapting it. Projects I would like to tackle but why pass my experience
Radar43

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Buick Reply with quote

halfbreed that is well beyond my skill level.
transam455superduty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the look of the NASCAR 78 Buick Century. It would be great if Salvinos makes a kit for this car.

Maybe we can use this thread to put pictures of that car in order they have some idea about their decoration schemes Very Happy
pulln4dejr

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Buick Reply with quote

WOW!!!! I’d love a couple as well!! 🤤
DoctorLarry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: 1978 Season Buicks Reply with quote

Master is almost done. Then on to making the mold for this one.http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/157639-1977-buick-century-formal-roofline-earnhardt-car/
gks1964

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look good!
john843

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work! Proportions look perfect and love the fuel vent.

John
DoctorLarry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: 78 Season Buicks Reply with quote

Formal roof Century is done.
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/157639-1977-buick-century-formal-roofline-earnhardt-car/[/url]
87SSAEROCOUPE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We you are done casting the Earnhardt Buick Century, would you be kind enough to let me know.
That resin is a beauty!!!
DoctorLarry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: 78 Season Buicks Reply with quote

They are done now.
[/img]
DoctorLarry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: 78 Season Buicks Reply with quote

Formal Roof Earnhardt in Process:
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/159629-earnhardt-buick-century/
joe b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr larry i would be interested in one of those bodies if you are planning to cast them. please let me know;

thanks-joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: