Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dumb Monogram '90s chassis question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Dumb Monogram '90s chassis question Reply with quote

I am considering using an early '90s (Folgers Tbird) chassis for a '70s project, and noticed that the front clip is asymmetrical - a feature I have up to now not noticed. When did this design go into effect?
john843

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I don't think I have noticed that either but since I can't dig one out right now, what aspect of it is asymmetrical ?

John
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Bill, I don't think I have noticed that either but since I can't dig one out right now, what aspect of it is asymmetrical ?

John

The front frame rails are shifted left - toward the driver side. The right side control arms are longer, to put the wheels in line with the body.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when it went into effect but, my reasoning would be it's biased to the left because of inertial weight. Since the cars are forever going left, all the weight is constantly thrown towards the right. This offset likely helps dampen this inertial effect. Same reason they don't put oil breathers on the right side of the engine.
Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be why all my older T'Birds have one wheel sticking out. Maybe I got the suspension wrong?
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Must be why all my older T'Birds have one wheel sticking out. Maybe I got the suspension wrong?

Which wheel? I must've missed that one, or made adjustments. Left, left, left, hmmmm......
john843

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:

You are definitely on to something here:) I opened two kits, a 27 Hut Stricklin and a 22 Maxwell house and placed the steering link/spindle fixture in place carefully(tacked the mounting points exactly in place) on both kits. I then placed a straight edge down each side of the chassis. On the driver's (Lt) side the tip of the spindle is almost perfectly flush while on the Rt. side there is a gap of 1/16th" to 3/32". Enough to notice for sure but until now I certainly had not. I'm sure whatever "sticking out" was happening, I wrote off to the fiddly nature of getting all 4 wheels and tires tucked in properly and equally on these kits. That, and all but one of the Mono T- Bird chassis' that I've put together went under something else anyway. Good eye, firefly!

John
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Monogram was basing this on existing actual specs. I don't have an '80s chassis to compare to, but I will assume by the early '90s NASCAR allowed asymmetrical control arms up front. In the pics below you can see that he frame rails are shifted to the driver side. Driver side control arms are shorter, spring bucket narrower. Forward of the suspension the rails shift to equal distance from center. The wheels are in effect NOT offset, as the difference in arm length compensates for the shift of the frame rails.

Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is assuming one used the CORRECT control arms on the intended side of the chassis. I always detached the parts from the numbered trees and painted in bulk with metalizer paints. Never noticed the shift on the chassis pan or any difference with the upper arms. I just glue them on when needed from my drawer of pre-painted parts. I may not even have an actual pair on some cars, maybe two rights on one and two lefts on another.

I wonder if the actual cars are built this way or was it a mistake and compensation on Monogram tools? Thanks for pointing this out Bill, I will watch for this now that I know the details. Good eye!
chitownbri2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never noticed this either but after examining the pic for a few minutes everything is symmetrical except for the small section of drivers side frame rail between the spring bucket and firewall. They moved that section outwards to make room for the steering box, control arms appear to be equal length to me.
Firefly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chitownbri2 wrote:
I never noticed this either but after examining the pic for a few minutes everything is symmetrical except for the small section of drivers side frame rail between the spring bucket and firewall. They moved that section outwards to make room for the steering box, control arms appear to be equal length to me.

Agree, now that I have taken a closer look. It does seem curious to me, though, that the driver side frame rail would be offset at the firewall like that.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way they were built. The original clips were made 2" narrower at the ball joint than the stock Galaxie because NASCAR required the front track to match a factory Fairlane. When they went tubular it was easy to just offset the tubing in that area to give more clearance for headers, plus the Boss 429 was a dry sump engine and needed room for the pumps and plumbing. I don't think it's a total coincidence that H-M went to fabricated clips at almost exactly the same time the Boss '9 was approved.

You can see the same offset at the firewall on this restored car:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: