Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1985 Old's 442

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john843

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: 1985 Old's 442 Reply with quote

I was looking at the Revell '85 442 (with the black one on the box) today and wondered if this body was suitable to attempt an early '80s Nascar Old's? Or possibly if the nose section would work with the Monogram Regal towards the same end?
I don't know how long into the '80s anyone went with that body style Old's or if the '85 depicted in the kit is substantially different than the earlier '80s Old's that ran. Any Ideas?

Thanks.
John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kit is 1/25 scale so I have not tried it yet.....but may work with some fitting.
This is my Monogram Buick converted with sheet stock plastic.
Far from perfect but state of the art for me back in 1983!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually been playing around with this. The clip and hood are a near perfect swap for the Regal kit.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I built my 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass body, I used the vacuum formed nose piece, hood, & rear bumper ( from John Walzsak ??? ) on a Monogram Buick Regal body. Even though the pieces were designed to replace the nose, hood, & rear bumper in the Monte Carlo SS kit, I felt the Buick body was closer to the Olds. The 2 big things I did to the Regal body were to cut & drop the trunk center down just the thickness of the material, and putty in the sharp body side crease, then sand it down to a gentler crease. The body is in primer while I futz around with other modeling projects. Sorry no photos at this time.
80GoldenEagle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done with that kit, but it takes a bunch of bodywork, especially in the fender areas.

Here shows the first mods to the fenders. The kit has the stock squared-off wheel wells and the actual car had fabbed, bulged fenders. So this had to be dealt with. Also, the nose had to come way down. In fact, the nose had so much work that I ended up gluing the hood shut because it was so fragile.

This shot is once the bodywork is closer to being complete.

This was the car I was shooting to build. Photo credit to Keith Koether

To answer your question as to whether it can be done, yes, it can. I'm not in any rush to do another, though.

The differences between the early '80's Cutlass and the '85 Cutlass, I know the nose and headlights were slightly different. I'm sure there are other subtle differences that I'm not aware of, but in my limited research between the two, those are the biggest. I did come to the conclusion that AJ's 1981-82 Cutlass were most likely the same cars and the 1984-85 were, at a minimum, rebodied, if not completely different cars. Not a lot of good photos of the 1982 car that I could use for my build.

john843

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80GE, That is some incredible work! The fidelity to the look and lines of the subject is off the chart. - However, I do believe you have cured me of any notion of trying that myself! I may pursue the Mono Regal/Old's nose at some point but converting the '85 looks like TOO much fun.

John
80GoldenEagle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it cured me of it as well. If I had known what was involved before I started, I never would have gone down that route. Once I realized what was involved, I had too much invested in it to turn back. Thank you for the kind words. Here it is completely finished. I also forgot to mention the kit windshield did not work with the AMT Olds chassis (gap was too wide due to no cowl) so I had to make one from scratch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: