Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driveshaft Color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjsipes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Driveshaft Color Reply with quote

My father and I was discussing and wondering when did Nascar start with painting the driveshafts white. Does anybody have any idea?
john843

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the exact year but am thinking mid '80s. There is a reference in another thread about the race that prompted the rule. DE was hit in the face by glass after his windshield was struck by a piece of driveshaft that had been run over by another car. I do remember it was during Wrangler sponsorship and he duct-taped his face on a pit stop!

John
Les Mosher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenchpl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please , can someone explain why the color is so ilmprtant ? i do not understand ?
thanx a lot
jjsipes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenchpl wrote:
Please , can someone explain why the color is so ilmprtant ? i do not understand ?
thanx a lot

Painted white shows up on the track if it comes out of the car, can be seen better on track is my understanding
frenchpl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsipes wrote:
frenchpl wrote:
thanx a lot

Painted white shows up on the track if it comes out of the car, can be seen better on track is my understanding

for sure , but why " White " ? dayglo red would show yheme up aswel ...
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a color blind person can see white on black......
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon colors are too fragile. They sandblast off if they're not under a clear wrap.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White's also a bright color (or lack thereof) that's going to be in just about everybody's paint locker, doesn't require special care to apply (as opposed to neons), is reasonably durable, and is going to stand out in contrast against dark pavement. It also works for those with colorblindness. It's a simple, inexpensive and effective way to do it.

Jodie Peeler
frenchpl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx to all !
Barry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Driveshaft Colour Reply with quote

Hello from Canada. Quoting from Bill Coulter's book on "Building and Detailing Stock Cars", "All driveshafts had to be painted white for clear visibility in case they became separated from the race car". This is in the 1986 NASCAR changes section at the front of the book. Great reading, and reference material. Hope this helps.
Barry
Ontario, Canada
frenchpl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Driveshaft Colour Reply with quote

Barry wrote:
Hello from Canada. Quoting from Bill Coulter's book on "Building and Detailing Stock Cars", "All driveshafts had to be painted white for clear visibility in case they became separated from the race car". This is in the 1986 NASCAR changes section at the front of the book. Great reading, and reference material. Hope this helps.
Barry
Ontario, Canada

silly I am !
i do have this book for Yeeeaaars ... did not read it correcly , it seems .
Rob Spires
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would have been common prior to 1986? Black? Unpainted steel? Were some teams ahead of the game and using white already?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe NASCAR had been "recommending" the driveshafts be painted white since sometime in the early to mid '70s but they didn't make it an official rule until later. And you know exactly what "recommending" meant. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: