Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monogram donor parts too... as well... also.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Monogram donor parts too... as well... also. Reply with quote

After looking over John's thread about these parts I got to thinking... I know, not good when I'm not even used to it!

But I thought I would pose this query:

What three parts do you most commonly scavenge from your MONOGRAM (We'll get to other brands soon) kits for use on others?

Seems to me there's a LOT of kits out there that have been rendered nigh useless, because of scavenging.

I'm not making ANY promises, but it seems to me, along with a proper set of GM headers, a set of resin parts might be a good idea to start filling those donors back in. When it comes to untapped veins, I'm a needle.

If you have a suggestion for improving the parts, please include. Smile Aaaaaaaand GO!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Salvinos is going to tool them......the 83 Thunderbird could use new headlight doors......those have bugged me from day one!!!!
Bill J

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front air dam and bumper to replicate the 86 T'Bird.
Corrected headlights as Dave said.

Conversion for the Buick to an Olds.

How about the correct headers for the Polar Lights Talladega and Cyclone Spoiler II. Corrected hood and nose piece for the Mercury.

Conversions to make the 2 Polar Lights Mercury into a "W" nose 68=60 Mercury.

All I can think of at the moment.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Front air dam and bumper to replicate the 86 T'Bird.
Corrected headlights as Dave said.

Conversion for the Buick to an Olds.

How about the correct headers for the Polar Lights Talladega and Cyclone Spoiler II. Corrected hood and nose piece for the Mercury.

Conversions to make the 2 Polar Lights Mercury into a "W" nose 68=60 Mercury.

All I can think of at the moment.
Not really asking about correction or conversion parts right now. This discussion is about the most common scavenged parts from Monogram NASCAR kits. Thanks.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I find myself in constant need of shock absorbers from these (and similar) kits.

Jodie Peeler
spooker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocks for me, too (from early issue GM kits, mostly). I use them on my 1970's era short track builds. I've also cut off bellhousings and transmissions for the same type of builds. Not much else, maybe an oil cooler or radiator.

Brian
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear end coolers
Oil coolers
Fuel cells
60-70s drivers seats

Basically the stuff you could get from ModelHaus
1fozziebear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot... fire extinguishers
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct GM headers would be sweeeet
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fozziebear wrote:
Forgot... fire extinguishers
I kinda forgot about those. I've noticed by the 80's most driver's had dual extinguishers, so I'm working on that.
john843

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wouldn't really be replacing a scavenged part but I don't know how many times I've sawed the ignition boxes off the dash panel of the Monograms for use elsewhere. A nice electronics board/ignition cluster piece would be something you could use over a span of years. Maybe a scored one that you could use in one piece, in two separate locations, or only use half, say on the dash of the older builds.
Something similar to what's in the Salvino kit but a little larger and with better defined MSD boxes.

John
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
This wouldn't really be replacing a scavenged part but I don't know how many times I've sawed the ignition boxes off the dash panel of the Monograms for use elsewhere. A nice electronics board/ignition cluster piece would be something you could use over a span of years. Maybe a scored one that you could use in one piece, in two separate locations, or only use half, say on the dash of the older builds.
Something similar to what's in the Salvino kit but a little larger and with better defined MSD boxes.

John
Dude. Shocked That's the definition of scavenging. You took a part from the kit, used it elsewhere. Good example.

Anybody else agree on the ignition clusters?
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few Buicks that are missing just the ignition plate, I never understood why that wasn’t available in resin.

Last edited by Orangeastre on Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeastre wrote:
I have quite a few Buicks that are missing just the ignitioj plate, I never understood why that wasn’t available in resin.
That's on my short list for sure. Not certain if I can do shock absorbers. I did an antenna once but it took several tries.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready to order some fresh silicone for the Monte Carlo bumpers and I'm going to clean up and re-mold the Olds bumpers.

The ignition boxes, fire bottles all that stuff's no issue, I think I can come up with a nice set. I want to make a double mount for the twin fire bottles too.

I'll try a separate mold of shocks and see what I can get. The more I fiddle with them, the more I'm sure I can cast them. I just need to get a bunch of them together so, if any of you can suggest shock sets from other than Monogram that could be useful, now is the time to let me know.

Finally, anybody have a nice photo of GM headers of the era?
john843

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since we're wish-listing resin parts- if someone could find a Modelhaus Charger 500 (race) grill and re-pop it would be great or even the one in the AMT street kit. Might recreate an interest in building the short track version of some of the cars that will use the newly available sheets for the Daytona
re-release. There's a LOT of old Dukes kits out there. (and several I can see from where I'm sitting!)

John
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Well, since we're wish-listing resin parts- if someone could find a Modelhaus Charger 500 (race) grill and re-pop it would be great or even the one in the AMT street kit. Might recreate an interest in building the short track version of some of the cars that will use the newly available sheets for the Daytona
re-release. There's a LOT of old Dukes kits out there. (and several I can see from where I'm sitting!)

John
You should face your chair the other way. Laughing When you say AMT do you mean MPC? I don't recall AMT ever doing one.
john843

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, gone keep my chair facing forward:) I'm sitting here holding an AMT/Ertle 1969 Dodge Charger 500 (BC- Buyer's Choice series). Don't remember when I picked it up (2003?) but it is a Dukes kit with a 500 grille.
Has an almost Poppy Red example on the box with bumblebee stripe and body color steelies with a center cap. AMT/Ertle kit #38015.
Also, the AMT/Ertle 1969 Charger Daytona kit(#31747) comes with a 500 grille as an option to building the Daytona. I did the 500 version of the Daytona kit a few times and again, a Duke's kit with extra parts.
I know that MPC did the Duke's first, but somewhere down the line AMT got a hold of it. There's others on here that can explain it better but I'm looking at two of them.

John
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
Nope, gone keep my chair facing forward:) I'm sitting here holding an AMT/Ertle 1969 Dodge Charger 500 (BC- Buyer's Choice series). Don't remember when I picked it up (2003?) but it is a Dukes kit with a 500 grille.
Has an almost Poppy Red example on the box with bumblebee stripe and body color steelies with a center cap. AMT/Ertle kit #38015.
Also, the AMT/Ertle 1969 Charger Daytona kit(#31747) comes with a 500 grille as an option to building the Daytona. I did the 500 version of the Daytona kit a few times and again, a Duke's kit with extra parts.
I know that MPC did the Duke's first, but somewhere down the line AMT got a hold of it. There's others on here that can explain it better but I'm looking at two of them.

John
I just wasn't thinking. When Polar/Round2 bought up AMT and MPC they started mixing and matching. Original AMT releases boxed and labeled as MPC and verse visa. I was working on a 500 conversion kit for the Daytona but put it aside a while ago.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm at it, I've been thinking. Maybe a complete chassis plate is unnecessary for the Mopars? What if just the modified parts on either end were done? An adaptable forward box, fuel cell box for the rear and support bars for the mid section?

I'm thinking, (I know, stick with me anyway), that I could likely make an affordable, workable setup. This way you have your chosen body set. Grab an AMT or Revell kit and swap the engine frames. I'll have to do a set of rule compliant control arms and heavy duty torsion bars (Those are always too small). Add the central bracers, new fuel cell box and viola! How much further you go is up to you. There's only one drawback.

I have absolutely zero idea what it looks like! Confused
Jim N

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood pins. These rascals quite often seem to come up missing or MIA. I know we can putty the hood or trunk and use decals, but these go on after paint and decals.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim N wrote:
Hood pins. These rascals quite often seem to come up missing or MIA. I know we can putty the hood or trunk and use decals, but these go on after paint and decals.
Ah! I already know I can do those. As an aside, if you attach a piece of masking tape across the sprue before cutting them free you won't lose any hood pins. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: