Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino kits with both headlight panels only one bumper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobbyguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Salvino kits with both headlight panels only one bumper Reply with quote

Hi I have a question i bought an Allison Monte that has both headlight panels but only one bumper which i presume is for the round headlights my question is can i use the bumper in the kit with both headlight panels?
Thanks in advance.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The bumper/grille is totally different between the two, hence two different panels. You'll have to build this one as a 74/5 model or wait for another lit or the aftermarket catches up.
hobbyguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info i guess i'll have to buy the baker circus circus i want to build Earnhardt rookie or champ car
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobbyguy wrote:
thanks for the info i guess i'll have to buy the baker circus circus i want to build Earnhardt rookie or champ car
You're welcome. as an aside, I am working on front and rear clips for 1973 to 1977 including bumpers/grilles. Wink
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
No. The bumper/grille is totally different between the two, hence two different panels. You'll have to build this one as a 74/5 model or wait for another lit or the aftermarket catches up.

Except the kit photos that you posted in the other thread looks like they have the later bumper on the earlier front fascia. Note the blockoffs for the signal lights in the bumper which the earlier (round headlight) cars didn't have. Plus the shape of the bumper looks more like the rectangular headlight cars.

But of course the grille height on the bumper is closer to the round headlight cars. I find the mishmash of details a little confusing on this kit.

However, I'm sure it will build into a 'close enough' model to put on the shelf with a little tweaking. I just wish they had tried to get a little closer to the actual cars, complete with the modifications made to the front end (like the narrowed bumper discussed in another thread), to make this a better representation of what it is supposed to be. After all, they were starting from a clean slate, so why not get the details right?

Sorry, not trying to be negative, and I don't want to restart the debate, just airing my frustrations...
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:
You're welcome. as an aside, I am working on front and rear clips for 1973 to 1977 including bumpers/grilles. Wink

Looking forward to seeing what you are working on. Will you be selling resin copies for those of us who would like a little more accuracy?
spooker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say some of this DNA is in there, but judge for yourself:

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:

Looking forward to seeing what you are working on. Will you be selling resin copies for those of us who would like a little more accuracy?
Absolutely.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Mark C. wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:

Absolutely.

Great! Very Happy
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mark, I'm working in the reverse of what I wanted to. I wanted to do the '74/5 bumper first, then the '76/7 style. Thing is, the Revell is '77 style and so is the one in the round headlight SG kit. So it's quicker and easier for me to do the '77 parts fist, then I can backdate the '77 front bumper to a '75. The biggest difference between the two is the upper half which I'll have to completely redo from scratch. Should be fun. I'm also adding proper bolt holes, jack slots and NASCAR "speed cuts" where the teams narrowed the bumpers to be flush with the fenders.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awesome, actually! I will have to purchase one of these kits afterall...

Thanks for the info!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Well Mark, I'm working in the reverse of what I wanted to. I wanted to do the '74/5 bumper first, then the '76/7 style. Thing is, the Revell is '77 style and so is the one in the round headlight SG kit. So it's quicker and easier for me to do the '77 parts fist, then I can backdate the '77 front bumper to a '75. The biggest difference between the two is the upper half which I'll have to completely redo from scratch. Should be fun. I'm also adding proper bolt holes, jack slots and NASCAR "speed cuts" where the teams narrowed the bumpers to be flush with the fenders.

I'm in for two '73 conversions when you get that far! Probably one or two of each of the other versions too.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

I'm in for two '73 conversions when you get that far! Probably one or two of each of the other versions too.
That will be the last one done, but I'm hoping to have all three sets by mid March. These will be much better than my Oldsmobile bumpers. Wink
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is, I've been doing H.O. bodies for slot cars for years now, HOW in the devil, did I become the "bumper guy"? Shocked
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Except the kit photos that you posted in the other thread looks like they have the later bumper on the earlier front fascia. Note the blockoffs for the signal lights in the bumper which the earlier (round headlight) cars didn't have. Plus the shape of the bumper looks more like the rectangular headlight cars....

Mark has a point. I would bet this same bumper will ship with the '76-'77 version kit.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
Mark C. wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Except the kit photos that you posted in the other thread looks like they have the later bumper on the earlier front fascia. Note the blockoffs for the signal lights in the bumper which the earlier (round headlight) cars didn't have. Plus the shape of the bumper looks more like the rectangular headlight cars....

Mark has a point. I would bet this same bumper will ship with the '76-'77 version kit.
It would be a trip if the '76/77 version came with a '75 bumper. Laughing According to what I know though, it's the same front bumper in both kits and a different rear. So basically you're buying a kit based on one bumper.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:

Can't wait to see some pics of your bumper progress.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Can't wait to see some pics of your bumper progress.
No progress pics this time. You'll just wake up one morning, and there it'll be. Wink
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
No progress pics this time. You'll just wake up one morning, and there it'll be. Wink

Sort of like the ATF tax stamps for my silencers... Very Happy
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

Ummmm.. okay, not entirely sure what that means... but suddenly I'm very nervous. Shocked Laughing
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:

I'd think with the new law regarding comps/silencers it would've been a shorter wait time. However, it could have something to do with the job field you're in.

As for the front bumper needing to be narrowed to reflect the real race car's bumper, that's a easy razor saw, and Molotow chrome pen fix. Also, the front panel/bumper positioning is a easy fix with a bit of material removal from the front panel in various places. As for the front fender shape being too square that also is a easy fix with files, and sand paper. Maybe not even have to use putty. Just wish the kit had rear truck arms, and wasn't quite as pricey. Just some personal observations of mine on this subject.
DarylH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:

There'll be a bumper crop of bumpers! I'll get in line.
joe b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone give me a rundown on what kits salvino has released? i know the malibu and monte. but how many versions of each and what are the changes from each release? i know there were some issues with the bumpers and rear suspension with the grey ghost malibu then he released the allison malibu with the changes. did he also make available a replacement sprue for the ghost or is that extra sprue in the allison malibu? also what's the deal with the monte? which bumpers and grill is in which kit? what years has he released?
i want to order some of these kits but want to make sure what i'm getting

thanks- joe
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
can someone give me a rundown on what kits salvino has released? i know the malibu and monte. but how many versions of each and what are the changes from each release? i know there were some issues with the bumpers and rear suspension with the grey ghost malibu then he released the allison malibu with the changes. did he also make available a replacement sprue for the ghost or is that extra sprue in the allison malibu? also what's the deal with the monte? which bumpers and grill is in which kit? what years has he released?
i want to order some of these kits but want to make sure what i'm getting

thanks- joe
They have to date, released Buddy Baker's 1980 Daytona winning Oldsmobile Cutlass. This kit had the too large bumpers and Mopar style suspension.

Next was the Donnie Allison Oldsmobile Cutlass (not Malibu). They were shooting for the updated suspension in this kit and updated grille/bumpers. I do not have this one yet as I bought too many of the Baker kit, so I don't know for sure.

Third release, second kit, is the Monte Carlo. It is supposed to represent the model years from 1974 to 1977, the differentiation being the different ends. Being the 1975 car that Donnie won his last race in, it's listed as a 1978 car due to that being when he won the race. They should have come through with both sets of clips and bumpers but a portion of the original run only had the parts to make the Allison car (or any other 74/75 style Monte)

All current and future releases of the kit should have both.

I also discussed the front bumper and he admitted he dropped the ball on that one. (That's where I come in I guess?) The front bumper is the same for both styles, only the grille changes. The rear bumpers are pretty correct for each year from what I can tell. They just lack a little detail.

All three of these kits have the SG design, MPC style chassis.
Firefly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
As for the front bumper needing to be narrowed to reflect the real race car's bumper, that's a easy razor saw, and Molotow chrome pen fix.

Not so easy with the razor saw. (Tried it!) Those Salvinos bumpers are like iron.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
"Fireball" wrote:
As for the front bumper needing to be narrowed to reflect the real race car's bumper, that's a easy razor saw, and Molotow chrome pen fix.

Not so easy with the razor saw. (Tried it!) Those Salvinos bumpers are like iron.
If you have one, you're better off with a diamond wheel on a Dremel. PLEASE use eye protection! The "metal" is real! (And I don't think Rick is going to let go of it soon). They're copper coated and plated with real chrome.
joe b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks adam. my mistake they were both cutllasses. the allison cutlas then is supposed to have the corrected bumpers and rear suspension then?
the monte- what cars should have the round hl and which the square? from how i understand it donnie's car was a 75 car that was allowed by the rules to run in 78 and should have round hl. what year was dale sr's car he won the championship in 80 then? and what has to be corrected on the rear bumper? also how do we know which monte kits have both clips in it?

i don't know why salvino insists on chroming his parts that way. he probably would be able to save some money and cut the sales price if he went with the traditional chroming. we only strip it anyway so why waste the effort.

thanks-joe
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe b wrote:
thanks adam. my mistake they were both cutllasses. the allison cutlas then is supposed to have the corrected bumpers and rear suspension then?
the monte- what cars should have the round hl and which the square? from how i understand it donnie's car was a 75 car that was allowed by the rules to run in 78 and should have round hl. what year was dale sr's car he won the championship in 80 then? and what has to be corrected on the rear bumper? also how do we know which monte kits have both clips in it?

i don't know why salvino insists on chroming his parts that way. he probably would be able to save some money and cut the sales price if he went with the traditional chroming. we only strip it anyway so why waste the effort.

thanks-joe
It was my understanding, that since Dodge had nothing for Richard for the 1977 season (Or any other Mopar driver) the rules were extended to four years for a given body style making the 1974 Charger, eligible for 1977's season and the Riverside race in 1978, buying time for the company to come up with, the Magnum.

The round headlight style Monte was last made in 1975 making the round headlight car legal through 1978, and the square headlight car (last made in 1977 before downsizing) eligible until 1980.

Many teams kept a "stable" with several cars that could be called to the front lines at any time so many had both styles.

It's nearly impossible to tell them apart from the profile unless you know the subtle cues. The easiest way is to look at the grilles/headlights and taillights/rear bumper.

The rear bumper for the '75 version looks good. The front bumper is wrong. I haven't got the '77 version in hand yet.

I've outright argued with both Jim and Rick about the real chrome! Jim get's it, Rick doesn't. He... LOVES... his real chrome! And I'll be honest, if the parts were perfect and had nothing to them that required paint, I would love them too. I mean, how many plastic models do you have that can take a magnet to the face?

However the bumpers are NOT perfect. So until then, I guess I have work to do. Wink

As for Dale, he ran different cars that year like some other teams but, the Monte he'd have used would be the '77.
joe b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks adam. let me know what you have done and ready . i plan on buying a few of the kits at nnl east in april.

joe
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the bumpers. I actually have sawed aluminum, brass, and copper with my razor saw. I've also used it to put screw head slots on stripped/boogered steel screws on firearm screws that previous owners hadn't bothered to use the proper gunsmith bits on. No, I haven't got my hands on one of these kits yet. I'm kind of riding the fence on these kits to see if things get corrected. I need to build up an old JNJ '74 MC resin body kit on an '83-'85 Mono Thunderbird chassis first, so I can then compare the Salvino kit to that build. The JNJ item # is CRB-003, if anyone is curious. I may be out on a limb, trying to compare an apple to an orange, but I believe the two are similar in several areas that I've seen pics of the Salvino MC on this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: