Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"It's a TraP!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: "It's a TraP!" Reply with quote

T I couldn't think of a good title. "Scale Civil War" seemed too confrontational, so I suckered you in with an Admiral Ackbar quote.

I've noted of late, on this board more than others, a bit of a civil war going on, between the passive, go-lucky builders and the so called "rivet counters". This has been spurred on by some recent kit offerings in which most of us, both camps, had high hopes for. This thread is an Op-Ed that I have hopes will bring a close to the plastic wars.

I am a Genimi. And a lysdexic. (I'll keep using that joke until somebody get's it!) As such, we are of two minds about everything. Is Adam the type of weekend warrior that will sit down and build a kit DURING the 500? SURE! Or is "TheWayne" one of those lunatics that will put every nut and bolt in until the suspension works and the drive shaft turns? Absotively! So I see both sides of the coin quite easily from up here on the fence. (I'll try to be brief, this fence has spikes).

First I want to address the tired chestnut of "Has there ever been a perfect kit?" NO. For any kit to be accepted as "perfect" it would have to be agreed upon unanimously by the entire purchasing front. Not gonna happen because some people just aren't happy unless they're unhappy. And they won't take their pills. However the perfect model DOES exist, and it's likely sitting on YOUR shelf, right now. You see no matter what the much touted Saint Tamiya thinks ( I AM NOT bashing Tamiya! Lovem!) the "perfect" model, is the one that gave you anticipatory joy as you built. Satisfaction in your dexterity and precision as you assembled, pride in your paint and decal work and most of all, that warm fuzzy you get as you look away from this monitor to that shelf. It's the model YOU ENJOY the most. THAT's the perfect model.

So one guy says "Looks okay to me". Innocuous enough. It's a simple statement. Yet the very next post is some jerk, usually named Adam, listing the hundred things wrong that should scare you away from that kit and most others! Thus the flame was has been lit! Molten styrene lines the parapets as foot soldiers below attack the castle walls with X-acto's and scribing tools!

GUYS! It's O-KAY! We can have the conversation without reading extra into the texts. We share a common bond. We all love plastic kits. Some of us more passionately than others. But if you're a star belly sneetch, it shouldn't matter a fig to you, if the rainbow bellied sneetch wants his Jeff Gordon car just so. If you're an STP red bellied sneetch, the star bellied sneetch probably doesn't care that your 25th scale lugs can be removed.
THEREFORE, there should be no need to respond negatively either way. If it looks good to him, there's no need to try and change his mind unless he ask you to. If he's discussing the proper flow from belly pan to filter, reservoir etc. and how to plumb it, the thread probably doesn't need to know you don't care. Yet always there's someone willing to say so.
There will always be both camps. The anonymity of the net allows us all, myself included, to spout emboldened things that would likely never be uttered in polite conversation, person to person. But if you're reading a thread that goes against your modeling philosophy, leave it alone. If you have a fair and non judgemental question to ask about it though, please do so. This is how we all grow as modelers. Polite discourse. There does not have to be a civil war among the factions because there's REALLY, NOTHING to fight about. We have the right to be upset about a model we feel is poorly detailed and we have the right to be just fine with the same kit. We all have the right to paint, glue, set it on the shelf, or to go nuts and put in a working crank! (Come on! I can't be the only one who's thought it!)
I've been finding it useful to read any post I plan to respond to twice at least before I do. With type, you don't get important things like tone, inflection and facial expression, so often a simple joke will end a long time, online friendship faster than a boson. Joking around is fine, but it has to be tempered with good judgement. Most of my joking is self effacing and would never try to knowingly hurt another member with a joke but, it has happened. So all I can say is Breathe, read it twice, and make your response. Then go build sumpn and post pictures! we need to build this site back up!
Now, the near hour and a half it's taken me to think this out and get it typed? I could have been building. So let's stop yelling at each other about what's right and not right on our models and just build some?
spooker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, let me say I agree 100% with the overall sentiment of Adam's post. I try never to disparage other's work, will offer constructive criticism or suggestions if warranted or asked for, and as most of us do, I build for myself. I have gone thru phases of build (as an adult) where the goal was a clean OOB build to building contracted museum quality builds for NASCAR icons. I have to say here that MY main gripe with some of the current new tool offerings is not the fit or the plastic quality or the molding (ie: flash) but with the total lack of concern for accuracy. Before I'm accused of being a rivet-counter, let me just say that I'm someone that has participated in the hobby from the early days of Hawk and Palmer kits with multi-piece bodies and plastic tires to the great Tamiya kits and resin offerings at all skill levels that we have now. I'm just saying that in today's technological climate, with the internet at your fingertips for research info, there is NO EXCUSE for a kit with a toy-like body or a completely inaccurate chassis and suspension. Modern CAD/CAM makes all the work of new tooling much easier (not necessarily less expensive) than the hand-sculpting and machining of the past. All I want is an accurate representation of a real car, we can each assemble, modify, detail, or kitbash as we see fit. I believe even the most casual builder (if they're being honest) would admit they would be happier with an ACCURATE OOB build rather than something that's just "close". Those of us that like to super-detail or build an historical representation of a real car at such & such a race would be happier, too! As I get older, my building is trending towards OOB builds as I'd much rather have my display case filled with OOB builds as opposed to 2 or 3 super detailed builds that take me many months or even years to complete. Speaking strictly for myself, I'm much more likely to buy kits that will look good (read: accurate) OOB without a lot of modifying, kitbashing or bodywork. I guess I fall right in the middle of the OOB builders and the super-detailers. OK, "rant" over, I'm with Adam, let's build some models!

Brian
67chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ill jump in here and first say, ITS A PLASTIC MODEL, As the builder no matter who or what if they choose to full detail a model or build it box stock it is up to that certain builder. I am 54 years old and my father got me started around the age 10 took I little break during high school and college but took it back up in my 20"s. Now I enjoy building models of street rods, nascar, drag racing, pro touring, and a box stock build. This is a hobby and I have meet some amazing people and builders at shows, my best friends are builders also, this life is a hard and a hobby lets a person relex and enjoy time away from this hectic world. I also have attented IPMS Shows which I think are geared more toward the military side of building, which that is fine also but I heard one judge talk about on model plane that was a awesome build ive seen this model at other shows take 1st and best of awards but this one judge did not like that a certain decal was not in the right place so this kicked the model out of an award. Now with that been said I do not attend many IPMS show cause of this nit-picking stuff so that is my 2 cents worth. Thanks Jeff Marsh.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well stated, Adam.......
Jim N

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistakes happen. I do not care what practices, procedures or systems are in place, mistakes will happen, and we all make them every day.

You can get the wrong suspension or chassis in a kit because the company starts the process of making the molds before licensing is secured. When the licensing is not secured, and there are too many R&D dollars spent to back up and start over, you get something that isn't right. One would think that a mistake like this would not happen, but it did. And this will not be the last time something like this will occur because someone gets the cart before the horse.

One would think that with the technology available that mistakes cannot happen, but if the starting point is wrong, the finishing point cannot be right. Also if there is a mistake made when reviewing the 1:1 part, it can compound itself exponentially when scaled down.

There was a thread on this website of race cars that wern't correct. As I recall, Roush has one of Mark Martin's historic winning cars in his museum, and it is the wrong car. One would think that Jack Roush or Mark Martin would care a lot about this, but apparently not.

Unfortunately, we see this in the world around us very frequently. How many billions of dollars did a few engineers at GM cost the company because they took upon themselves to redesign the ignition switch for several models of cars. And they did it in such a way that no one could easily see what they did because their design had the same part numbers as the original parts.

The maker of Tylenol had a production problem in the 1980's that allowed some very sick individual to put cyanide in the caplets. This either happened at the plant or at the stores.

I did not write the past two paragraphs as a means to diminish the mistakes of a model company. They are merely there to point out that we are frail human beings who at every level will make mistakes. We can lament, complain or argue about how they should not occur, but they do and will for as long as there are people.
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of times, it ain't what you say, it's how you say it. Post like these are very helpful for this forum. This hobby is my get away in life. Can't get to worked up about things that go wrong. If a fisherman goes fishing and catches nothing, does he quit? No, he goes back to his hobby hoping for a better result next time. Same for golfers, hunters and other hobbyist. It's supposed to be fun. It's up to the individual to make it that way.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
A lot of times, it ain't what you say, it's how you say it. Post like these are very helpful for this forum. This hobby is my get away in life. Can't get to worked up about things that go wrong. If a fisherman goes fishing and catches nothing, does he quit? No, he goes back to his hobby hoping for a better result next time. Same for golfers, hunters and other hobbyist. It's supposed to be fun. It's up to the individual to make it that way.
And THAT's how you sum up. Thank you Mack. Very Happy
OldTrucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack, you hit it out of the park! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: