Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curious
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentsat71

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

Back in the early 1970's when MPC came out with there NASCAR series, what did these builder do to create "exact" replicas of any certain version?
There were no personal computers
Thus, no sites with various pics of various versions
No cottage industries for parts and decals as well as other detail items.

Another observation....
Have a number of Car Model and Model Car and Science mags running around.
It seems there is more interest in creating exact replicas of certain cars that ran certain races, no matter if it's NASCAR or NHRA or what ever racing organization.
There seemed to be more creativity in some racing types that there is today. Customs, etc. are still doing strongly today....

But I guess times do change one way or another......

What has surprised me is that NO manufacturer as EVER stepped up to create the IMCA style modifieds of today, which run so many tracks around the country, And, outside of the bodies, the chassis for the most part have not changed. And I THINK these chassis could be used for the dirt late models.....
I keep wondering why? United States Modifed Touring Series (USMTS) is a traveling series.....
Is it because they are not televised like WoO has been?

Will leave you with one question.....
Has ANY model car manufacturer even created "The PERFECT kit?"
No matter what type of kit.....

I'm not to start an argument....just curious...
And my observations of what I've seen posted here and other sites.....
TG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experts say there's never been a perfect kit. I thought the Revell Nascar series from 1983 thru the latest was pretty dang close.

I always wanted a Whelen modified kit.

The Moebius Hudsons were really close to every reference picture I could find when I was building them. Where they prefect? I don't know, perfect is a big word.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, to a certain extent "perfect" will be in the eyes of the beholder and/or builder. There are kits I know of that may have some inaccuracies but they're "perfect" to me because they represent a decent trade-off of value, ease of building, and capturing the spirit of the full-size machine. From my own recent experience, the Moebius 1961 Pontiac was as close to a perfect build as I've had in a long time - no real surprises along the way and the kit's price was realistic for the enjoyment I got from it. It's not perfect, but I sure had fun along the way.

I've sometimes heard it said that if you were able to shrink the real thing down to scale, it wouldn't look right (which is why Monogram's airplane kits often had just a little bit of artistry in their lines, a little robustness here and there - to fool the eye just a shade). In any event, what one builder considers "perfect" will be somebody else's turkey, and "perfect" will so often come down to how satisfying you found the journey of getting it built.

Jodie Peeler
TG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodie, I totally agree. I have felt that way about a lot of kits. The Revell ASA kits, the Revell Fireball kit. At 150+ parts that fit perfectly that's as much detail as I want in 1/25th scale.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:

I've sometimes heard it said that if you were able to shrink the real thing down to scale, it wouldn't look right (which is why Monogram's airplane kits often had just a little bit of artistry in their lines, a little robustness here and there - to fool the eye just a shade). In any event, what one builder considers "perfect" will be somebody else's turkey, and "perfect" will so often come down to how satisfying you found the journey of getting it built.

Jodie Peeler

I got to see a few model kits go from drawings to kit on a shelf. I was told by a somewhat famous designer that if, as you said, you could shrink a real car down....it would look funky. This designer showed where his latest design was 'wrong' but NO ONE ever noticed because it looked so right!!!!

Perfect kit??? Tamiya Alfa Romeo DTM racer. Dang close!!!

What did we do in the 70's to build good stock car models?? Stock Car Racing magazine and because we lived in Charlotte.....visits to shops around town!!
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

What Builders did before the day of the internet was actually be at the race track and in many cases helping out with a car actually out on the track or being part of the support staff of the track or the sanctioning body. This is what a lot of the old-time builders that used to be on here cut their teeth on, they were there before the corporate velvet ropes went in. Interested able-bodied adults could volunteer to help the track or race team by walking up and politely asking "do you need any help?". Try doing that in today's world. I did that in every shop in Mooresville and while I had a few cool experiences, more often than not I was turned away. It seems that people these days if it doesn't come out of a box they're not capable of building it and they're very accepting to not go that extra mile to get what they want. In the old days, if it wasn't available you made it and the same rule applies to race cars as it did to models. Somebody on here not too long ago had pictures of a Monte Carlo Sportsman car with hand-lettered numbers and sponsor on it. That was the norm back in the day. And don't forget Stock Car Racing magazine, National Speed Sport news, the occasional story in the big magazines like Hot Rod and Motor Trend and Steve Smith Autosports books. And everybody needs to appreciate members like Falls City 48 who bought a camera with him everywhere he went. This forum is at a loss without people like Tony participating in it regularly anymore. As far as the perfect kit goes, in this form of modeling the only thing that ever got close would be what Monogram started doing when they released the Lumina kits(1990?) that continued through Cutlasses ,Grand Prix's, Monte Carlos and T Birds till about 2000. But there was a large segment of modelers that were complaining they were too complicated so they listened to the Bottom Feeders of their customer base and instead of encouraging people to step up their skills, they stepped down their subject matter. Getting a prepainted model kit with Tempo printed one piece glass and a rubber window net is a sorry trade-off for accurate roll bar padding, molded plug wires ,accurate size and shape bodies and correct Wheels. I can't make any statements on recent models by AMT and Revell, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. What I can say for sure is I bought a Sterling Dodge as well as Awesome Bill's as soon as they hit the shelves and they look like toys compared to the earlier models. And because the size and the shape of the body is so whacked out you could not even transfer the body over to an earlier, more accurate, better detailed chassis. I haven't bought a current release modern NASCAR kit since. And that was 17 or 18 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will never be a perfect kit, the rivet counters will see to that. Regardless, as a less than perfect builder I really don't look for or expect perfection in the hobby.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG wrote:
Jodie, I totally agree. I have felt that way about a lot of kits. The Revell ASA kits, the Revell Fireball kit. At 150+ parts that fit perfectly that's as much detail as I want in 1/25th scale.

I agree on the ASA kits. Years ago I built the Senneker kit right out of the box and to this day it's one of my favourite builds. Went together easily, no fuss no muss, in fact I never put any glue on the body so I could take it off if I wanted to look at the chassis again. Fit like a glove.

Here are some pics I took about 15 years ago. Just a simple build with no extras...

Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

That is a beautiful Camaro! And that's out of the box huh? Wow. I have to say I never really noticed those cars on the Shelf when they were new, they came along at a point where I was up to my elbows in the real thing.
TG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc, that is a sweet build. As I said, I love those kits. Wish they'd come back!

To each his own on what we want to build, we all have different interests and time constraints and budgets.

I say the pre-painted kits are aimed at a different market.

Bobby, fyi....the new Nascar kits are very nice, more detail than before and fit great. You should try one.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

I've only been back at it again hardcore for a couple of months now and I haven't seen anything but pre-painted snap togethers on the shelves of my local hobby dealers, and yes you're right they are aimed at a different Market but when they become the only game in town, same models but without the pre paint, that's the problem. Those ASA kits look beautiful and now I might have to start looking for one. But I have 20 projects going already! I'll tell you one thing that the pre-painted are good for and that's for slot car racing. I really don't think that they're even good for kids, part of the experience of building a model is painting it and putting on the decals. After years of progression, RM going to metal axles and screws was a major step backwards. As far as our form of modeling goes, those monogram Days of Thunder generation Chevys and the cars that came after it are as close to perfect as we might ever see. Unfortunately, it seems just like as I'm getting ready to buy a recent modern Revell kit, I might not be able to find the one that I want! I've seen some pictures and I know that they're nice, one day I will definitely have one. Or three or four or five! I hate it when my models look lonely on the Shelf! LOL!
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, lets try to keep it civil here. If somebody ticks you off take the high road and ignore it, and it will pass. Bickering only begets more bickering, then this place becomes very unpleasant for the rest of us.

OK, off my soap box...

This thread reminds me of an issue of Stock Car Racing Magazine that I got when I was a kid. I recall on the last page of the magazine there was a photo taken at a NASCAR race of all these models of race cars that were for sale. If I'm remembering this right, there were models of cars not offered by the model manufacturers, which means they must have been hand painting the graphics. If I ever find the issue again, I'll scan and post it.

I've done a few this way (hand painted graphics), but they are short trackers, so messy is accurate to the 1:1s...

Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words about the Camaro. It was built a long time ago, but I remember how easily it went together. I have a Butch Miller Camaro as well that I plan to put together some day.

It would be nice to see them reissued, but one has to wonder with all the messiness that has happened with Revell, if that would even be possible. The model industry sure has changed in the past decade or so...
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with DaveV…
Back in the 'old' days used the Mags for reference.
Stock Car Racing, even Motor Trend and Hot Rod.
Don't forget Super Stock and Drag Illustrated for quarter milers.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with DaveV…
Back in the 'old' days used the Mags for reference.
Stock Car Racing, even Motor Trend and Hot Rod.
Don't forget Super Stock and Drag Illustrated for quarter milers.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Short track Reply with quote

Hey Henry do you have any weissglass pics to post?
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

I just noticed that a reply I put on when Mark posted those pictures of his very cool hand painted 57 and 54 Chevys didn't make it on, probably a combination of my crappy phone, low-powered Wi-Fi and the distraction of two months without racing on my TV being over. Very very cool! If anybody is ever in the vicinity of Staten Island, as me and Henry have talked about a bunch, my old friend Big Daddy George not only has a shrine to the legendary Weissglass Stadium in the basement of his home, but also has probably a couple of hundred of some of the nicest hand-painted numbers and sponsors model cars you've ever seen. We're talkin show cases full of them! A must-see if you're in the Central Jersey or Staten Island -Brooklyn area, he works out of the house doing sign painting and graphics to this day, but we're talkin 60 years of hand-painted modifieds and stock cars. And don't forget to buy a Weissglass t-shirt while you're there! Signs and Graphics by Big Daddy George 26 Hamlin Place Staten Island New York, 20 minutes from Verrazano Bridge, 10 minutes from Bayonne Bridge, 15 minutes from Goethals Bridge. A real history lesson for East Coast modified racing fans, not just Weissglass and Staten Island.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Short track Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:

Sorry... have nothing Crying or Very sad
Henryjint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Short track Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:

Sorry... have nothing Crying or Very sad
sentsat71

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments......
Appreciate them.....

Next question.....

What was your most challenging kit right out of the box?

I know this is primarily a NASCAR site, but how many have tried the AMT Grant King sprint or supermodified kits? Originally issued around the mid '70's?
Initially they were issued as separate kits. sometime in the '80's the kit was made a 2n1 kit, but I was out of building models by that time....there were 3 different versions of the sprint kit released in the '70's each slightly differed....don't remember exactly was different from the other.....
The kit was reissued around 2006/2007 through AMT/DTR. There was 1 change in that release,, that being gong to the narrow front tires, but the front wheels were not changed to match the tire....so another issue to deal with...

The GK sprint/supermod kit had challenges right out of the box. to start with, the jig to help put the frame together, the slots are too far apart. would not allow the belly pan to fit, if built that way, So, had to modify the jig for the right fit. Next the hood would not fit properly around the front of the roll cage.(Thank goodness for the Dremel tool and various attachtments) the side panel cutouts for the exhausts did not line up correctly and finally, the nose piece would not clear the bottom of the front axle without modifications....

HOWEVER....at the time, it was the ONLY sprint car kit out there.....it wouldn't be until 1987 that Monogram finally brought out their sprint kits.....
Once I knew what changes needed to be done to these kits, I was off and running, so to speak.....Built 8 of the Sprints and 4 of the Supermodifeds and inherited one that was already built....all except one supermodified are still around after 40+ years....though 2 of the 3 supermods are not in one piece a it were....one by choice, and one that was not packed right for the 15 moves since 1981, from SoCal to FL to ABQ to Iowa....

Since I have not tried to find a photo hosting site, as I'm not sure if they will work with a Linux operating system, IF some would like to post pics for the GK sprint/super builds I can email them to anyone who would like to help me out....

Yes, I had fun building those kits.....as outside of the 1st spring kit and the inherited one, there have been modifications done to the nose pieces & hoods.....and at least 3 different non-kit Chevy engines under the hoods.....

Thanks
TG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed this thread too. Glad you started it.

I built one of the Grant King kits and about a half dozen on the sprint kits with the wing. I think that's the ones you are talking about.

I remember that they were pretty tedious. I think it was that I had trouble attaching all the chrome parts, They were kinda fragile to try and scrape at the glue points.

When I did the last one I remember thinking, okay that's it, not building anymore of these.

Send an email to my address in my profile and I'll post pictures for you.

Are these the kits you're talking about?

[img]

[img]

[/img]
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

Problems with kits going together? Okay I got a few off the top of my head, two of them have been discussed at length here and one of them I was just on another thread talking about because one of the members has found a download of Matt McNally's polar lights Talladega build so we won't go there just suffice to say if anybody tried to build this kit box stock with the Boss 429, you know what I'm talkin about. Another big one is getting the front suspension right on both the AMT kit cars as well as the Monogram early T Birds. While the detail is there and pretty good on the T birds, they are tedious and frustrating to put together because it is almost impossible to line up the lower control arms dry and as soon as you start gluing parts you have to add the front wheels or at least the inner front wheels to make sure your alignment is correct. The kit cars have similar issues but they are even bigger because of the separate front spindles. Outside of NASCAR, but a very popular kit, is the MPC Malco Mustang and trying to get the heads, block, intake front cover and valve covers to lineup. It has a very detailed sohc 427 motor but there is something in the dimensions of the block and heads that is off just enough to keep it from going together cleanly. I wound up using the heads from a AMT 68 Shelby Mustang GT500 (the one with the hot rod parts in it )and the polar lights 427 block. That seemed to cure everything. Then of course I had to line the transmission up onto that block that it wasn't designed for which was also a pain in the butt butt it's worth it. I have everything where it should be finally. Those are some beautiful sprint cars TG, always looked but never touched! And I would love to see some of your supers and modifieds, Stat. You guys are making me want to buy more cars outside of my normal box and my normal box is overflowing right now! ASA Camaros, World of Outlaws sprint cars and 60's supermodifieds have all been on my bucket list but I already have gassers, early 60s dragsters, a Lotus Indy turbine and a bunch of muscle cars sitting in their boxes untouched. Stop you're killing me!!!
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
What was your most challenging kit right out of the box?

The Revell full-glue 2000-2002 Taurus. Mainly, getting the chassis tooled for the mid-90s Thunderbird to work under the new body shell. The 1998-99 Taurus was a bear to build with the goofy floor pan filler panels and the too-wide track of the wheels, but the 2000 body took all of that and made it worse, with the angle of the roll cage bars not matching the A pillars and all sorts of other problems. I finally gave up trying to get anything from that kit. I may revisit it someday, but don't hold your breath.

Instead I wish I'd bought more of the 2005 Matt Kenseth Taurus kits when they were available. They were good kits and it wouldn't be too much work to backdate one to 2000-2001 spec.

Jodie Peeler
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

Don't forget the bulldog nose on that Taurus! I think they dropped the clay master on the floor before they sent it off to tooling! I then tried to adopt a Intrepid body to that chassis from that kit, it did not go well at all. At that point it all went into the Parts box.

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
TG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby, thanks for the kind words.
I don't want to high jack this thread with a bunch of my builds. How bout a couple ASA cars since we were talking about them

The story on these is my wife works at Masonic Homes and likes # 7. I surprised her with this.

I worked as a lumber/window/door salesman my whole career and my online handle was always tgbluesman cause I love The Blues.
Dyke and Therma-Tru are real companies that I did business with.
These were both done with custom decals by board member Dwight Carter.

[img]

Last edited by TG on Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

Now those two look like winners in the fantasy cup! Nice cars and beautiful pictures!
TG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir. Two of my favorites, cause they're personal.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

Round two is re-releasing the Ridge Runner Pinto modified again. Does anybody make Richie Evans decals?
spooker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and they are amazing!

http://acemodelcardecals.com/product/61-richie-evans-pinto-modified/
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

Wow! Cool! I love sheets with decals for two cars, thanks for the tip Brian and what color did you use when you did yours? I've heard that they were stealing paint from the Rome Highway Department Depot. School bus yellow?
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG...

Hi-jack away!! LOL

Like seeing pics of "fantasy" builds!

All of my aforementioned GK sprints are all fantasy builds. Though, after the initial release of those kits, AMT started putting fantasy decals in the kits, but I didn't even use the decals as presented in the initial kit, that I ordered from Grant King Racing at the time. By the time I got that kit, the next version was out.....

The 1st 2 Monogram sprints were built right of the box, with kit decals for the #11 Steve Kinser Coors Light version and Sammy Swindell's red #1 These 2 builds were the last completed builds.....just back in 1987.....
Yes, those kits are tedious when it comes to piecing the suspension parts together....
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know why but I have built several of the Petty and Dodge Kit Car models and none of them went together easy
Bill
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I have had a few of these kits over the years, but either tossed them (Early issues)
or have sold them off though this site or one of the other sites....the ones released a few years ago....

In looking at the kits, they were a little more than what I wanted to tackle.....

Probably why I never tackled the AMT and Monogram (then Revell/Monogram)
But then, I got into collecting 1/64th NASCAR die-cast instead.....that started in 1993 and fizzled out in 2002/03, as prices kept going up and selection was not like it was, so that more less died out, but not until after I collected nearly 1200 Winston Cup and Busch series cars. This total does not included the then Craftmans Truck series, on 1/64 - 1/50th sprint cars.....
What made it interesting was the :hunt" for them....From Calif, where I was living at the time to Central FL, where I vacationed from 1992 to 1999, then moved there in 2001.....
From over 50 locations, from stores to Flea Markets. The Daytona, FL Flea Market was the best for finding cars not carried by anyone else.....
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG

PM sent.....
TG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
I do not know why but I have built several of the Petty and Dodge Kit Car models and none of them went together easy
Bill

I've built 4 of the Dodge kit cars and the body sat way to high especially the front.
They look low and mean on the box but they didn't build up that way.

I didn't have much fun with the re-released MPC Nascar kits..the 1st one was before I saw the thread here (old board ) about the issues that have to be fixed....ended up tossing it. Still had problems with all of them.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

The kit car kit has more minuses than pluses. The engine is way too small first and foremost. The front clip and the front suspension are not only hard to assemble but are pretty well screwed up. The roll cage is too big and has those weird door bars they come out in a point. Even the bodies have issues. But they were designed in about 1975. And it was it a definite advance over the AMT Chevy Grand National kits of the same time frame. About the best thing in the whole box is the Franklin quick change rear end. The rear frame rails are pretty nice and I'm going to be incorporating them into a Mopar Grand National chassis for resin casting. Stay tuned! Yes, I did buy a reissue kit car kit for the rear frame rails!
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

I almost forgot the biggest Plus, the kit car has absolutely be best hands down 5 slot racing wheel. It's so good I think I'll start a thread on grayside about it. The perfect 1970s wheel. Maybe even get it resin casted..
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TG
i agree 100% about the re-releases MPC kits. I had built a ton of the originals and they went together real good. Fought the re-released kit all the way. sold of a bunch of them
Bill
sentsat71

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the past year, I've gotten my hands on the MPC #66 Skoal Bandit Monte Carlo of Phil Parson and the Southern Stocker Grand Prix, but don't plan on building them as a NASCAR speedway car, but eventually as short track dirt cars....
Have not built one of the MPC offered NASCAR kits since building the #22 Dodge Daytona That Dick Brooks drove in the '71 Daytona 500....
TG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted for sentsat71

TG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted for sentsat71

TG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted for sentsat71

[img][/img]
TG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted for sentsat71

Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

Wow. Terry you got some nice stuff there! Looks like you got your work cut out for you restoring these beauties, the supermodified look stunning! I had with Ole School Modeler in a conversation this afternoon about the MPC 1980s issue GM cars. The bodies are very nice but not too accurate in the wheel well Department as they have beautiful flares unlike anything run at the time. The quarters and fenders are more like a road race car but the shape of the body and the details of the noses make up for it. Especially if you don't like mixing your 24th scale monogram with 25th scale AMT MPC and Revell. I had the Regal on first release (Southern stocker) and the Monte Carlo SS a little later. I think it was Phil Parsons. But that damn 1971 MPC chassis again! I'm not going to say anything else. No it was not okay, in the mid-80s ,next to the Monogram kits either.

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
TG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby......

Those modifieds all belong to sentsat71....I posted them for him.

I agree with you, they are are cool builds.

He will fill us in on the details.

I built some Southern Stockers back in the day too, I remember that they fit...the re-leased kits are the ones that are tough. Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I am currently building the "new" Issac Ford.
The body is a beauty but from test fitting it looks like the front valance is gonna be a tough fit.
Also having a heck of a time getting the top loop and 2 forward bars on the cage right. Will have to cut out what I've done and try again.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here goes.....

Will start with the GK sprint builds. Most were built right out of the box. The 1st one built was the #97, though that was not the original number. Why I changed it, I do not remember. However that is not the original hood, more on that later....The purple #20 was the next one built, as that was the one I ordered through Grant King Racing, hence the #20. Hood is not the original there either. 3rd one built was the Green #35. Why green? Don't remember. This is out of the box.....except......for the Turbo Offy under the hood. Destroyed the 1969 issued Indy car kit of Bobby Unser's winning ride at the '68 Indy 500..Yes, there is a precedent for this one. in 1972 and part way into 1973 a California Racing Association sprint car series based in So Cal and at Ascot, DID run a turbo Offy.
Next up are the all black #2x and all orange #18. This is a homage to the orange & black #97. One, because these 2 kits were bought an built at the same time and thus were painted as such. But the #2x became the target for a wedge style hood that was inspired by an Iowa sprint car builder (Bob Trostle) as he was one of the ones who started the wedge style hood back in the latter part of the '70's The cowl section of the wedge hood came from the purple #20 while the hood replacement for the purple sprint came from a purposely never finished build.the original hood of the #2x is the one now on the #97, as I did not want to lose the A&W Root Beer decal on the hood. The rest of the wedge hood is Plastruct narrow sheets. IIRC, the red #5 came next. Built out of the box, but cut the forward half of the belly pan off, Cut the forward sides of the side panes off, Glued the well trimmed nose piece to the hood, making it one unit. Eventually made a similar modification to the greed #35 nose piece. Next was the Blue #2....Was the next one to get a non kit engine.....How about a F-1 Cosworth Ford....no precedent here....Came from a kit manufacturer I had not heard of. As compared to an early F-1 I built, the Lotus was not in the same "league" with the earlier F-1 build. Though exhausts are from the junk box. And finally around the time I inherited the yellow #1 I came with the Ford powered #1. Engine was scavanged from an old AMT '32 Ford Phaeton build, Fuel Injection from junk box most likely from the scrapped '69 Ford Galaxie.Highly modified hood and nose, along with a very rare for me, hand lettered sponsor...
Now, probably need to send TG imdividual pics of these cars.....that is, if anyone is interested....
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, on to the orange and yellow GK surviving super mod. Managed to find one of the super mod kits, in the latter part of the '70's. Bought it with the modifications seen here.
Somehow managed to stuff the big block Chevy engine from a never built Tobias modified kit (Mustang version IIRC) The kit exhausts were modified to fit, not only the header flanges on the engine but under the radiator side pieces.
And yes.....it was the out of scale width of the scrapped F-1 Lotus kit that i used the tires and wheels for this build. These were the reason for buying and building this super mod. Found a thick piece of a parts tree that with slight work, filled in the opening on the nose and a little putty, this is how it turned out...Wing is scratch built of of Plastruct, though very unprototypical mounted on the roll cage.
This one, as well as the #1 Ford powered GK sprint were both hand painted. This was near the end of my model building time.....
Then my first move out of my 1st apartment into a room in a house, basically ended my model building....
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1st two Monogram issued sprint cars, the #11 Coors Light of Steve Kinser and the #1 of Sammy Swindell...Can'r remember the sponsor that was on the 1:1 car, but was not allowed for the decals in the kit (Tobacco produect? IIRC) These two were the last ever completed builds, coming in 1987 when these kits were first brought out. And they were built at the same time in the apartment I was living in, still in SoCal, but soon afterwards, another hobby I got interested in, has basically "kiiled" my interest in building and completely builds, even now, some 32 years later.....
These pics were taken in 2006/2007.
I evidently did not pack the Kinser build as well as I did the Swindell build, as one survived and the other didn't most likely in the moves from SoCal to Fl, then to NM.....
Some year.....plan to use another frame, etc. for the Kinser rebuild, as the top wing supports were broken and it would be easier to use another chassis that I bought and started, but never finished 3rd issue from Monogram shortly after the releases of the Kinser and Swindell kits, that of the #18 Coors Light of Brad Doty...and the damaged Kinser bhild will be turned into a NON-winged sprint, as I've collected a few of the Monogram - Revell/Monogram kits over the years, so have additional frames to rebuild the Kinser car.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, onto the 2 GK supermod builds in pieces.
The black #14 was THE 1st Grant King kit I built. The mail in order for Grant King Racing had not yet arrived. (IIRC took a good 2 months to get that kit. May have been out of stock(?) And the sprint kits had yet to hit the shelves in the various hobby shops I frequented, but this super mod had. This is the kit where I found the jig suppled by AMT and in all subsequent reissues, the last in 2006, the slots to wet the frame pieces in were too wide. Lucky I found this out before the glue dried when I test fit the front spring/axle to the tabs on the front of the frame and they did not line up, and the belly pan did not slide on either....had the patience back then to modify the jig to get things to line up right, and was used for all the builds seen here. AS seen here, this is how this build looked when I finally found it after the cross country moves. Some year, I would like to get this one rebuilt, but with a scratch built cage and change out the kit seat.

As for the orange #81 version....I took it apart with the idea at the time to eliminate the side mounted radiators and put the sprint version back in front of the engine, but, alas, that idea ended when I quit building. The various moves broke the LF tire/wheel off.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Curious Reply with quote

Wow, nice models Stat! I thought you were just another garden-variety lunatic! Much new found respect! LOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> The Social Hall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: