Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who builds Cars from the years 1950 to 1959?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Who builds Cars from the years 1950 to 1959? Reply with quote

I am curious how many people are building the Early Pre Daytona and first year items that would be 58 and older also are their many building AAA or USAC items I myself build some USAC but its all from 68 to 72 mostly cars that won or ran well at Milwaukee.
Thanks Bruce
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I worked on all the Moebius kits....Hudsons and Chryslers.....so I've built a few.....
TG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Van....that looks awesome.

I did some Hudsons and a Chrysler and Fireball.

I've done several fantasy 49-58 builds over the last couple years. That's been my thing lately, like coming up with my on schemes.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave that looks great what paint did you use on it?
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Dave's decals.....

TG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp Dennis!
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do!
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, sorry no pics. Bill J, are those PPP wheels, and tires on your sweet "57 Chevy build?
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished a '57 Black Widow a couple days ago, although (a) I don't have any pictures and (b) it doesn't look anywhere as nice as Bill's. I also built a whole mess of 1959-60 Chevrolets about 10 or 12 years ago for a group project, and have two Hudsons and two Chrysler 300s in the stash awaiting the right moment. There's a good many of us on here who do that era in scale.

Jodie Peeler
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Early cars Reply with quote

Like I don't have enough distractions already, now I got to take my black widow out and start working on it again? Thanks Bill! No really beautiful stuff everybody. How's the bleed through with the stock decals? Did you use the stock decals bill? One of these days I'm going to pick up the Turner Ford, Chrysler 300 and the Hudson Hornet. It's nice building models that I don't have to scratch build half of it.

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemiman_1999 wrote:
Dave that looks great what paint did you use on it?

Tamiya silver under met blue....nice stuff. THANKS
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I did not use the kit decals, the kit was the first issue with generic decals. My car was done with Powerslide's excellent sheet.

My tires and wheels were PPP, the tires took some work to get under the car, the wheels could stand to be a little narrower, but I didn't want to risk cutting them. The kit six lugs are a little small, diameter wise. The Goodyear tires should have had the blue line on them but the PPP tires for those years does not come with the blue line decal, which would be more correct.

I stretched out the rear quarters for the correct look and to help with the larger tires. I also used the old SEDCO manual to make my dash gauge panel, added a front hoop to the roll bar and removed the passenger side of the seat. Dual shocks, exhaust through the frame, as per the SEDCO manual. Paint was Tamiya spray cans, not polished or clear coated.

My only challenge to building the old classics is the bare metal foiling required for a fine finish. I have to really get myself in the mood to get that foiling going, not at all my favorite part of a build. The BMF sure makes them look nice though:)
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Early cars Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, I'm always leery of kit decals on black cars, part of why this simple build is on the shelf for me is I am also waiting to get one of those new chrome paint pens. I too hate bare metal foil. On newer cars where it really is just window moldings I just tape them off and spray them flat black and then use a light coat of Rust-Oleum bright coat metallic finish Chrome. But that method isn't perfect either, it takes forever to dry and sometimes doesn't react well to clear lacquer.

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Early cars Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
Thanks Bill, I'm always leery of kit decals on black cars, part of why this simple bills is on the shelf for me is I am waiting to get one of those new chrome paint pens. I too hate bare metal foil. On newer cars where it really is just window moldings I just tape them off and spray them flat black and then use a light coat of Rust-Oleum bright coat metallic finish Chrome. But that method isn't perfect either, it takes forever to dry and sometimes doesn't react well to clear lacquer.

Bobby what chrome pens are you referring to I have the Molotow units they have been around for a while they do a nice job but do have a few issues is there another type on the market that may be better?
24collector(Ron)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You win!! All great looking builds Smile
Olderndirt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are cars anybody back in the day could recognize. Today if the badges were removed from most cars, the average guy, or gal, couldn’t tell you who made it. This was real racing.
I just want to see some Chryslers, Mercurys, Dodges, and maybe a Studebaker, or a De Soto. Just sayin’.

Olderndirt
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Early cars Reply with quote

Wow! Love that David Pearson 59! What a collection!
DustyMojave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great collection. I'd rather watch them go around Daytona than the cars that are there today.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Early cars Reply with quote

Thank God for YouTube! Couple of months ago I put on some links for some good channels on YouTube to watch some great vintage racing footage. I forgot what I tiled do but it's on here somewhere.
replicas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: mid 50's that ran in USAC Reply with quote

will be Fred Lorenzen's gold #50 USAC car[/img][/img]
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Early cars Reply with quote

[quote="hemiman_1999"]
Bobby what chrome pens are you referring to I have the Molotow units they have been around for a while they do a nice job but do have a few issues is there another type on the market that may be better?[/quote|

hemiman_1999, I'd heard about problems with the Molotow chrome pens, however, I've haven't had any issues with them not drying, rubbing off, or dulling. BMF is alright on flat surfaces, but not on concave, or convex curves, and bends. It wants to wrinkle up, at least with me it does. I've waited 57 years for this Molotow chrome product!!!
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I did not use the kit decals, the kit was the first issue with generic decals. My car was done with Powerslide's excellent sheet.

My tires and wheels were PPP, the tires took some work to get under the car, the wheels could stand to be a little narrower, but I didn't want to risk cutting them. The kit six lugs are a little small, diameter wise. The Goodyear tires should have had the blue line on them but the PPP tires for those years does not come with the blue line decal, which would be more correct.

I stretched out the rear quarters for the correct look and to help with the larger tires. I also used the old SEDCO manual to make my dash gauge panel, added a front hoop to the roll bar and removed the passenger side of the seat. Dual shocks, exhaust through the frame, as per the SEDCO manual. Paint was Tamiya spray cans, not polished or clear coated.

My only challenge to building the old classics is the bare metal foiling required for a fine finish. I have to really get myself in the mood to get that foiling going, not at all my favorite part of a build. The BMF sure makes them look nice though:)

Bill J, thanks for sharing your build info with us. Any more pics of the exhaust, shock mountings, or other details you'd care to share with us? Thanks.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Early cars Reply with quote

It's great to see so many 50s Builds on here and a welcome change! I'd love some history on some of these cars and sure other people would as well. I see some famous names on a few of them.
gator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build a few from time to time.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you Sir!
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireball, I don't have any pictures at the moment, I will try to take a few iif the sun ever comes back.

For anyone building a 57 Chevy racer, this is the link to the Chevrolet manual put out before they decided to bail from racing.
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/books/1957ChevyStockCarCompGuide/index.htm
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started this thread I was hoping to get a few pics and see how many people where still interested in this time period WOW you guys have posted some GREAT Builds all are Fantastic Thanks to everyone who has posted pics...hopefully some will post even more.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the car Jackie!!! Glad to see you Sat at Salisbury
Bill
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Bill

Can we get a short report on Salisbury sometime??
gator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Good to see you Sir!
Thank you.
gator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Bill

Thank you. Jerry's photo work made it look a LOT better.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can we get a short report on Salisbury sometime?

As crowded as I have ever seen it. Elbow to elbow. So much so it was hard to sqeeze thru the aisles at times.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Early cars Reply with quote

Gator, is that a Revell 56 Chevy? Beautiful build, I love that kit and I've never seen one done up as a Stocker before.
gator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Early cars Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
Gator, is that a Revell 56 Chevy? Beautiful build, I love that kit and I've never seen one done up as a Stocker before.
Yes, the old original issue with the opening doors, hood, and trunk. Thank you. I hand lettered it the old way.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Gary on the crowd. I went in at 8AM for floor rights before the crowds hit at 9AM. They advertised 62 tables avail and I believe only one vendor did not show up.David Hawkins from Plastic Performance had a table with his decals & tires plus Tom Mooty's Ol Days Decals. Mark Agee had a table with his ACE decals plus Mike Herman sent him a good selection of Powerslide decals too. Yesteryear had his decals avail too. Several vendors had bins of bodies and parts. too.
Bill
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!

Great post!!

The time period of all these fantastic builds a well before I ever got interested in racing, which started in either 1965 or 1966.....but definitely 1966, as my Dad treated my brother to a race at the Fairmont, MN track just before he went into the Army....The only time I ever remember my dad going to a race of any kind. Same brother took me to my 1st race at the Algona, IA track in, I think< 1965....That was all it took to become hooked on racing...
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very simple build.....I did it to test my decals for size....snap kit....but I like it!!
drppr76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back I picked up a couple of Revell 57 Chevy kits which were my first 50s era cars- but really I build (or attempt to) from all eras
Usserya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Well I worked on all the Moebius kits....Hudsons and Chryslers.....so I've built a few.....

I have this one near the top of my list. How do you feel about your color selection? Spot on? Close?
Usserya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Who builds Cars from the years 1950 to 1959? Reply with quote

hemiman_1999 wrote:
I am curious how many people are building the Early Pre Daytona and first year items that would be 58 and older also are their many building AAA or USAC items I myself build some USAC but its all from 68 to 72 mostly cars that won or ran well at Milwaukee.
Thanks Bruce

I have gone off the deep end and bought about 120 kits. About 25% are ready to make into NASCAR racers from the 60s and 70s. The rest are basic cars that will have to be converted from a street car to a 1948 thru 1980 NASCAR car. So far only completed 3 but have 6 on the bench including the 1957 Fireball and Junior cars. Oh, and the Teague Hornet too.

In all I will end up with about 10 from the 40s, 35 from the 50s, 60 from the 60s, 30 from teh 70s and a few others. Already went thru a phase 25 years ago making the late 80s/early 90s kits.
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I am seeing some contributors here I have not seen in a while. Thanks for reminding us of all your fantastic work!
MarkJ

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racer14

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MarkJ, Great builds, really enjoy seeing them! Your build collection is mind blowing.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All are fantastic Mark
MarkJ

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Actually the Olds at the bottom was modeled as a 49, but it looks basically just like a 50, except for minor trim differences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: