Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my Salvinos group Monte today Now with 100% more pics!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Mark C. wrote:
The Donnie Allison car looks like the front end was cheated a little by narrowing it up. If you look at the 2 silver stripes on the bumper you can see that the signal light areas are narrowed, as if slices were taken out of the bumper and welded back together again. I recall there was a bit of a scandal back then when a number of teams were caught narrowing their front ends to reduce surface area and improve aero.

Also, why do they call it a 1978? Is that the year it ran? Seems confusing to me, but maybe it's just me...

This is a '73 Monte, but Donnie ran it for the last time in '78 and got his final win in it. Narrowing the bumpers to bring the edges flush with the body was common practice with most teams and allowable by NASCAR at the time.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough with my question. If this car ran in 1978, then technically this should be considered a '75 model (last year for the round headlights) given the 3-model-year rule. My question was more of a statement... when I read the box and see "1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo" I think of the downsized '78s, and not the larger '73-'77 generation. I understand now that this is meant to commemorate Donnie Allison's last career win at Atlanta in 1978 but the wording on the box is a little confusing, especially to somebody who is not right up on their NASCAR history.

And, I didn't know that narrowing the bumpers was legal, so thanks for the info. It makes sense now as it looks like they didn't make any effort to hide it...

In looking at the brochure pic below, it becomes more obvious to me that the attempt to backdate the '76-'77 model to a round light model did not turn out that well. Shape and proportions aside, having a signal light cover on the bumper where one shouldn't exist is a bit of a fail. To make it more accurate, one would have to sand the covers off the bumper, smooth out and have the bumper rechromed. Kind of a pain in the butt when the bumper should be assembly-ready right out of the box.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch Mark...I missed the bumper issue.......thx
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
" are you talkin to me?" This is hysterical! Grown men ready to fight over a toy car! Because after all isn't that this what they are? Do you really think I'm not watching? Beautiful work RJ by the way, lack of bumpers stopped me in my tracks years ago, and the six hours worth of sanding that vinyl top off went to waste because I couldn't deal with how the bumpers come out looking. I did mine as soon as the kit came out before there was anybody resin casting parts for it. I'm going to go back in the shadows now, I think everybody would appreciate if you could keep the negativity to yourselves. And this goes for both sides of this argument. I'm being sarcastic again. LOL!

Hey Bobby, I don't think you should hide in the shadows. Even if not everybody agrees with your opinions, you still have the right to offer your opinions just like they do.

IMHO, this board works better when there are differing opinions because it improves the conversation and more facts come out of the woodwork during those contentious conversations. In the end we all benefit.

Otherwise, it just becomes a boring echo-chamber of 'attaboys' and pats on the back because everybody with 'unpopular' opinions has been driven off.

So... stay and let's all have some good conversations and even some debating. It's all for the betterment of the information being presented.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Good catch Mark...I missed the bumper issue.......thx

NP... I didn't notice it until I started to look at pics of production MCs.... then it stood out like a sore thumb...
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against my better judgement I have reopened this thread.....I ask that we try not to have any more drama.
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little follow up to Dennis.....guys, keep in mind if you don't agree with or like something just scroll past it and move on. And please don't fire off flaming PM's to someone if you disagree with something they said.

Respect for others and a little give and take goes a long way, I know for a fact there are members here who personally don't care for me, and yet we never cross words on or off the board. That's how it should be.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, Gary. Mutual respect makes any situation much better.

There's enough arguing and fighting in politics these days... let this board be an oasis from all that stuff! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: