Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

INFO needed anything will help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: INFO needed anything will help Reply with quote

Can anyone give me any info on this photo I would really like info on the 56 Ford 2DR HT #12

Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Info Reply with quote

Looks like a picture of Road America in the early days. Notice the Milwaukee sponsorship on one of the cars.
DPalmer4343

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the George Seeger car? Oscar Maples owned a team back in 56-58 and the #12 car was typically a George Seeger car (#11 was Parnelli Jones on the team).
DPalmer4343

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Info Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
Looks like a picture of Road America in the early days. Notice the Milwaukee sponsorship on one of the cars.

If it is indeed the Oscar Maples owned car, then it looks like it only ran on the west coast. 2 races in '56 (at Lancaster and Arizona) and 1 race in '58 (Riverside). The car ran 6 times in '57 with Seeger at the wheel and once with Marvin Jones in the #12 (at Darlington and that picture ain't Darlington Smile ).

I believe (guessing) that's Redwood raceway. And if that's the case, Seeger in the #12 owned by Oscar Maples started 3rd and finished 2nd.[/img]
DPalmer4343

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, maybe not Redwood.

In 57 the car ran at Lancaster, Portland, Redwood, Ascot, Capito, and Darlington (as the #12). The #11 with Jones at the wheel also drove at Kitsap, California Fairgrounds and Santa Clara.

I'm not familiar enough with those old tracks to know where that picture came from.

Edited:
It can only be Ascot or Capitol. Why? Those are the only two races in '57 that also had the #15 Merc of Bud Vaughn (also in the picture). There was a #15 in the race at Portland but that was a Lincoln, not a Mercury.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the cars pictured are turning right, we can narrow the track down to being a road course. This rules out Portland, Capitol Fairgrounds ( a 1 mile dirt oval ), Ascot ( also a dirt oval ), Darlington, and Santa Clara.
I am very familiar with Riverside Raceway, having attended many races there from 1981 to 1988; I also have both the Pete Lyons and the Dick Wallin Riverside books. There is a slim possibility this could have been Turn 8, mostly due to the sharp curvature and what looks like U.S. Highway 60 behind the trees. I've never seen the hill on the inside of Turn 8 though it might have been there in the early years ( Riverside opened in 1957. ) There was however a hill on the outside of Turn 8, which did block the view of the highway. ( thanks Wayne for the reminder )
If the Lancaster track listed is the same as latter - day Willow Springs Raceway in California, then that could be the road course. Road America is certainly another possibility, as is maybe the old Indianapolis Raceway Park road course. I am not familiar with Redwood or Kitsap.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Info Reply with quote

Wasn't Redwood also known as Paramount Ranch? I wish this picture was in color cuz it looks pretty green to me to be Willow Springs or Riverside, both were built in the middle of the desert. And why would a car on the west coast in those days have the sponsorship of a Milwaukee Mercury dealer? I don't know nearly enough about this era so I'm going to drop out of this conversation.
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email that had several pictures from a USAC race in 1956 and the Merc is Sam Hanks according to his info the 56 Ford is Marshall Teague this race was run on Nov. 4th 1956 here is the link he sent me it has a bunch of pics including the one I posted which was sent by a friend that could not remember where he got it other than off the internet. Marshall Teague in a Ford I knew Hudson and Chevy but this is the first I have heard of him in a Ford........
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=paramount+ranch+raceway+usac+race+1956&fr=yhs-itm-001&hspart=itm&hsimp=yhs-001&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.gettyimages.com%2Fphotos%2Fstock-car-race-paramount-ranch-250-mile-race-on-a-2-mile-treelined-picture-id150192501%3Fs%3D594x594#id=19&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.gettyimages.com%2Fphotos%2Fstock-car-race-paramount-ranch-250-mile-race-on-a-2-mile-treelined-picture-id150192482%3Fs%3D612x612&action=close

now if I could get color info

Last edited by hemiman_1999 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
DPalmer4343

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Wasn't even thinking USAC. Argh

Glad you got the answers
DarylH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great picture!
I don't know the where or when but I would really love to see Moebius do one of those Mercs.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Paramount Movie Ranch was in the Los Angeles area , near present - day Agoura Hills . As the name implies, it was used for many TV & movie shoots, including the Elvis Presley film Spinout. According to the Pete Lyons Riverside book, the track opened in 1956, but was closed in 1957 after several driver deaths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: