Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mike Herman is looking for Dodge Daytona decal ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chicagowelder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Mike Herman is looking for Dodge Daytona decal ideas Reply with quote

Mike Herman from Mikes Decals/POWERSLIDE is looking for ideas for new decals for the recently released REVELL PRO MODELLER 1969 Dodge Daytona. Post any ideas here. He said he is going to do 2 new sheets.
DPalmer4343

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that Roger McClusky's car was a nice, obscure one

And I'm assuming that the usual suspects will be made available (the Petty Daytona, the Baker 88, the K&K Insurance, etc....)
country modeler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Hylton

DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPalmer4343 wrote:

(the Petty Daytona,

Those are Superbirds.......100% different car.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Hylton , Marty Robbins and Neil "Soapy" Castles
Bill
Chicagowelder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion was the Butch Hartman #75 Decals because you can do so many different cars with those decals.
RussMyers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Petty never drove a Daytona.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Mike's Daytona decals Reply with quote

Jim Vandiver, maybe not the most competitive guy but what a beautiful car! Chrome yellow and petty blue! Anybody got any good pictures?
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Watson or Ramo Stott from ARCA.......Watson's car was sponsored by Harry Ranier who had some NASCAR ties.....
BW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for the following:

Bobby Allison's Daytona from the Fall '69 Charlotte race. If you notice it has the BLACK outlined numbers with SOLID gold wheels and the gold stripe going down the rear quarters with the RED "Daytona" script in the middle.
[img]

Next choice (may be my 1st choice) is Tiny Lund's Daytona from the '70 Daytona 500. Mike could also include Tiny's '72 Chevelle on the same sheet. Both are COOL looking cars!
[img]

Bobby

[img]

[img]

Lastly, Jim Vandiver's Daytona. You could have the option of building his '71-'72 Dodge Charger with the same decals.
[img][/img]
Wall tester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, don't post often but ironically I've spent a few hrs this week searching for candidates. I'd be very interested in seeing Marty Robbins, Butch Hartman, Neil Castles, and maybe Fred Lorenzen. Can you tell I'm from USAC country? While I'm wishing, I will wish for Sal Tovella superbird set too. Thanks, for listening
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicagowelder wrote:
My suggestion was the Butch Hartman #75 Decals because you can do so many different cars with those decals.

+1 to this, maybe the sheet could be made to work with a regular Charger too.
18degrees

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPalmer4343 wrote:

And I'm assuming that the usual suspects will be made available (the Petty Daytona, the Baker 88, the K&K Insurance, etc....)

Obscure and incredibly ugly too.
jim unger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my list on the Dark Side part of this site as I put up the list of all cars from the 1970 Daytona 500 from www.racing-reference.info but I would vote for James Hylton and Marty Robbins. To BA, Mike has already done the BA Daytona although that particular scheme was not done, can we say mini-sheet to make that one, since I'm a big Bobby fan too! Just my thoughts.
Petty/Wood Brothers tribute
BW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim unger wrote:
Check out my list on the Dark Side part of this site as I put up the list of all cars from the 1970 Daytona 500 from www.racing-reference.info but I would vote for James Hylton and Marty Robbins. To BA, Mike has already done the BA Daytona although that particular scheme was not done, can we say mini-sheet to make that one, since I'm a big Bobby fan too! Just my thoughts.

Readin' my mind Jim on the BA Daytona! I would be satisfied with a mini-sheet for the black outlined numbers and the Burnside qtr sponsor. Really would like a Tiny Lund sheet with both the Daytona and Chevelle schemes.
Bobby
john843

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the Engineering #88, the Dow #99 resurrected, and as has been mentioned the Vandiver#31.

John
GAS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Dodge Daytona Reply with quote

First--Jim Vandiver-Beautiful car. Second Fred Lorenzen.
R.J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbys White and Red Daytona ran at Riverside

Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Mike's Daytona decals Reply with quote

I totally agree with Bobby on the Tiny Lund Daytona, that candy blue with orange numbers is eye popping! I think one of my all-time favorite colors available in Shaker can, testors sapphire metallic blue, would be an almost-dead on Match. And there's so few options for Grand National Chevelles, and his baby blue Pepsi 71 SS is also a really good looking car. Didn't Tiny have his Daytona converted into a sportsman car? Pictures? Was the King Enterprises Charger 500 #1 driven by Pete Hamilton converted into a Daytona? Love that blue with gold numbers! Definitely the best looking car of 1968.
FallsCity48

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's Daytona decals Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
........Was the King Enterprises Charger 500 #1 driven by Pete Hamilton converted into a Daytona? Love that blue with gold numbers! Definitely the best looking car of 1968.

Actually a King Enterprises Charger 500 was converted to a Dodge Daytona...... For the '69 Daytona 500, A. J. King converted a '68 Charger to
Charger 500 for Hamilton to run at the '69 Daytona 500. King later sold his equipment to Dave Marcis / Milt Luna. Dave was planning running to run the Grand National circuit full time in 1969. From then the car was run as a Charger 500 configuration (#30) till the National 500 at Charlotte (10-12-69) were a chassis was updated to Dodge Daytona. The car would go on to race 18 additional events thru 1970 as a Daytona. Dave had a long history with that chassis..... I even lost a lot of money on it at Nashville in 1973.

That chassis would later be converted (restored) back to the Marcis Daytona & in the late 80's was sold & repainted like a #43 Petty car with Goodys Headache Powder sponsorship. Later it was repainted again as a Winston showcar & at last report still around today.

1.) Agreed, the A. J. King cars were some the most beautiful cars to ever grace a NASCAR track. It would be wise move for a smart decal maker Rolling Eyes to make a King sheet (1967 thru 1975) Grand National & Late Model Sportsman cars. It would cover about 5 models of cars & many great drivers.... Isaac, Hamilton, McQuagg, Bud Moore, Tiny Lund etc. .... but it has not happened yet....doubt we ever see one. Laughing

2.) The Dave Marcis Daytona would be a great choice as well.... but there is some old sheets of the car out there.... doubt we ever see a new one.Laughing
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Mike's Daytona decals Reply with quote

I'd be willing to bet money that that car is sitting in a warehouse at RJ Reynolds in Winston-Salem or somewhere in the vicinity covered in dust with flat tires. Talk about a barn find!
pinto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some USAC cars, Don White, Butch Hartman, Sal Tovella!

Mike
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Mike's Daytona decals Reply with quote

Did Butch Hartman run a Daytona? I always thought his red and yellow cars were pretty cool looking but I remember of him the most was the Chargers and Camaros I saw a pictures of in SCR magazine winning all those Midwestern USAC races that they never showed on TV.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's Daytona decals Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
Did Butch Hartman run a Daytona? I always thought his red and yellow cars were pretty cool looking but I remember of him the most was the Chargers and Camaros I saw a pictures of in SCR magazine winning all those Midwestern USAC races that they never showed on TV.

Yes.

Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

Wow that's a good looking car! How about those front fender flares? Must be something that he only ran in USAC, right?
Tony Mabe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a bunch of daytonas i would like to build if there were decals avalible.
i would like to see marty robbins daytona done correctly, pink & flouresnt yellow/not orange.

color is faded in this pic car wasnt orange it had yellow on it.

Tony Mabe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

butch hartmans daytona

Tony Mabe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betthausen

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check his coming soon page for the four picks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: