Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any news about Revell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigjeff3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Any news about Revell Reply with quote

Haven't heard anything lately so I was wondering if any in the know has heard any news.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revell is owned by a German banking group and is getting back to producing kits slowly.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

Revell Charger Daytona is available, go to Dark Side page for info.
JWVD5953

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they be repopping the newest NASCAR kits, Danica, Chase, Harvick?---John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With tons of those out there for $10.....kinda doubt it. Remember it is a German company now.....they did reissue some F1 race cars for 2019......look that direction.
country modeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stocked up on the Fords, but I never could find any Chase Kits, really wanted to get some of them.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

country modeler wrote:
I stocked up on the Fords, but I never could find any Chase Kits, really wanted to get some of them.

The Chase kits were tougher to find.....but I ended up finding 24 at a newly opened Olie's......I bought a few for me and 2 for my buddy......
There were still a few at a Lexington Ky store last weekend....so still out there.
country modeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 3 of the Ollies near me never got them in. I kept checking almost every other day for about 3 weeks.

Had plenty of the fords and the snaps.
JWVD5953

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, Most Chase Elliot kits I see are 30 plus dollars!
Wish I had an Ollies near me, but when they are gone
who has the molds? The new old Revell Germany, now just
called Revell?---John
country modeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prob, Both Germany site and Revell USA does not even list them on their anymore
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWVD5953 wrote:
Really, Most Chase Elliot kits I see are 30 plus dollars!
Wish I had an Ollies near me, but when they are gone
who has the molds? The new old Revell Germany, now just
called Revell?---John

The Ford and Chevy 2018 kits are owned, as of now, by new Revell as all tooling that was in China when Revell changed hands. Tooling in the USA in ILL was sold off. All older NASCAR tooling went to Salvino's.
JWVD5953

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I heard Salvino's has molds for 80s and 90s NASCARS
from Revell and is repopping them? At least that's the rumor I heard.
So Revell "proper" still owns Danica, Harvick, Elliot from
2017? That's good, I guess. Hope they make more soon.---John
martinfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
country modeler wrote:

The Chase kits were tougher to find.....but I ended up finding 24 at a newly opened Olie's......I bought a few for me and 2 for my buddy......
There were still a few at a Lexington Ky store last weekend....so still out there.

Yeah, they only did a 5k run of Chase's kit, so not surprising
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they ran only 5K of the Chase kit.....that's really bad news.......
Why?? If I found 24 at one store......and they were guys posting photos of them buying 12 at other Olie's.......then Revell sold very few kits......not a good sign. Olie's has 303 stores. Not all got Chase kits.....but let's say half did.....150 times 24 is 3600 kits!!!! Revell had to dump 3600 of a 5,000 run??? WOW
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Revell Reply with quote

The Situation with Revell is very strange. They have just released the all-new new tooling of the 68 SS 396 Chevelle and the Daytona reissue. But nobody knows exactly who is running the company other than the Chinese subcontractor, Zeon Chang (or however you spell it I don't feel like looking at the inside of my black widow body). I'm going to take a guess that the new ownership may not have their licensing for NASCAR kits together yet which would definitely put off any kind of new NASCAR issues. I do not believe that NASCAR licensing could be passed from one company to another and being since this is new ownership, they're probably going to need to renegotiate. On the plus side, there is and always has been a lot of interest in NASCAR in Germany and if the company that owns Carrera slot cars (which is what the rumor is) now owns American Revell, that's a good thing because Carrera has always had NASCAR licensed slot cars. Most recently I know they had a older c o t body with current driver sponsor combos on it, I believe ,in 2015. Maybe, a Model King type deal could be worked out with the Chinese for all white release cars. Any which way you look at it, the future looks good for Revell. And hopefully we will see some much better content without the glaring errors in all their recent muscle car releases. From what I can see on this Chevelle, while not as bad as the Hemi Cuda, it does have some problems. Please let's not get any discussions about painting that Chevelle black and gold and putting the number 13 on it. The movie that killed NASCAR.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 68 Chevelle, 69 Mustang Boss, Daytona etc were all run under the old Revell......they sat in China until the new Revell got rolling. I have yet to see any of them in hobby shops nor has my wholesaler been able to get any of them. So Revell is still having some growing pains.
Want to see how mixed up things are?? Try and call Revell at a USA number....can't be done. Hard for a manufacture to sell product when no one is home.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

Mike's Decals has the Daytonas in stock and a friend just picked up the Chevelle kit, somewhere in New York. There was just an online review posted of the Boss 302 by a non endorsed amateur modeler who I only watch the first few minutes of him opening the box. So that's out too for sure. So the wheels are turning, just very slowly. All three of these confirmed arrivals of these kits has been in the Northeast. Maybe that's something we need to think about. Does anybody anywhere else know of these three kits hitting a shelf outside of the Northeast?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know all the kits are out there.....look at Spotlight hobbies and he has had them for weeks........but distribution is VERY SPOTTY at best.....which is an issue for hobby shops, Revell and consumers alike. There are hobby shops that have had no Revell product for almost a year now......that is not helpful to ANYONE and is an issue Revell needs to address. The last hobby shop in the Charlotte area is closing March 1........not getting product is not helping.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

I'm here in Austin Texas and I can tell you for sure that my local Hobby Lobby has had both the reissued 67 Plymouth GTX and 57 Chevy Black Widow hit the Shelf within the last 2 months. There has been older issues of the 68 Charger RT and a few of the Chip Foose series cars on the shelfs as well. Unfortunately we live in a world where the big box store rules over the mom and pop. About 15 years ago or so, when I was living in East Charlotte, there was an awesome little hobby shop on Eastway that was there forever that was being forced to move out to Gastonia because of the Walmart opening up about a mile away. Before I knew about the evils of Walmart, or what really made me discover it, was being a resident of New York City(where Walmart will never be allowed to open because of the Unions protecting the rights of workers) I was not familiar with Walmart and I discovered that I could buy AMT reissue kits in Walmart boxes for $4.97. Some of the same kits that this little hobby shop had on the shelves in different boxes for $16. The kid that ran the toy department let me and several others know that the very hot selling AMT reissues would come in on a Thursday afternoon and at one Point there was five of us waiting for him to bring mixed cases out. Sometimes you don't have an alternative to buying a kit online or from a big box store but hobbies are luxuries and if you can't afford to pay two or three dollars extra to support a hobby shop that's there to help you and support somebody's family.... don't blame anybody but yourself when all the hobby shops are gone. And it is going in that direction.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about 'Flashbacks'?? I worked there part time and sold my decals there. Owner Steve had moved the shop to Eastway from Rock Hill and expanded the hobby side along with the automotive paper side. Steve sold the business when he turned 75 and moved to Canada. The new owner moved it to Gastonia as he had space there and was more into doing model shows than a brick front. The changes were all due to Steve's retirement and nothing with other stores.
BTW.....Steve owned Buddy Bakers 1973 Charger that Dodge gave Buddy as a daily driver. I worked on it a number of times.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Revell Daytona October release Reply with quote

I don't remember what his name was, I was not a huge customer of the store. I do remember him saying that he had business in Gastonia so it made sense for him to move there with Walmart swallowing up so much of his local business. But he did tell me that Walmart was a huge factor in his moving the store.
tomcat65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get off the topic of the post. But where is this "last" hobby shop in the Charlotte area at? Might be down that way very soon. A trip there might be worth it. Since I'm also involved in Naval Warship & Aircraft modeling. & started to get into RC Warships...

On the topic of the post... The Ollie's close to me(Bluefield, VA) got Danica glue kits, Harvick Glue kits, & all 4 of the snap kits. I bought all the Danica's they had(12). Most of the Harvick's(15+). Kept what I wanted and sold the rest. Bought a few of the Chevy snap kits for my self as well. Was there today, and all they had left was five(5) of the Ford snap kits. They never got in any Chase kits... I know another Ollie's about 40 miles north of me in Beckley, WV had Danica & Harvick Glue kits & the snap kits. I know all the Danica kits were sold. And my brother was at that store early in Dec. and the had Harvick's & snap kits. What's left, I have no idea...

Thomas
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Charlotte' shop is just south of the NC/SC line near Rock Hill......it was the last store in the area.

Dunbar WV Olie's had the biggest stash of Chase kits I found in WV.......supply was spotty for sure.....never saw one at Barborsville Olie's.
tomcat65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,

If I do get a chance to be in the Charlotte area in the next couple of weeks, I'll have to go check it out. Sad that it is closing down.

And I agree on the Revell supply issue. A Toy Store/Hobby Shop in Christiansburg, VA was dealing with that. Hadn't talked to owner since I was there late summer. But he cut back the plastic model section due to the Revell situation. He focused the models mostly around Auto stuff. A little bit of ships, planes, tanks, sci-fi. Although he had AMT/Round 2 stuff, he said the lack of Revell was hurting him with model sales. He's not going out of business as a result of that. With them also doing toys, Toys-R-Us closing helped them a lot in that area. & he does a lot of sales with his RC stuff.

And on an Ollie's note. I was in Roanoke, VA & Salem, VA last week. The new store in Roanoke had no NASCAR kits. Have no idea if they had any at all. The Salem store had three(3) of the Snap Ford kits left. No idea if they had any Chase kits at all. Did buy one(1) Chase kit at a hobby shop in Roanoke though.. If I knew the Dunbar store had any Chase kits left, I'd go get some. Lol...
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the Roanoke Olie's??? new?? I get to Roanoke now and then.......
Do you go to the Boone's Mill hobby shop south of Roanoke on 220??
tomcat65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Ollie's in Roanoke took over the Toys-R-Us building next to Valley View Mall. And I have been to the shop in Boones Mill. But it has been several years since. The trips to the Roanoke area the last few years just haven't allowed me the time to head there. Hopefully the next trip...
country modeler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I live in Roanoke and neither Ollies had had the chase kits, checked almost every other day for 3 weeks. I did get the Danica and harvick kits though.
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, the 2019 Revell catalog is out, the bad news, no NASCAR as of right now.
https://www.revell.com/products/cars/motorsports/
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinfan wrote:
Good news, the 2019 Revell catalog is out, the bad news, no NASCAR as of right now.
https://www.revell.com/products/cars/motorsports/

Looks like a hold over from the old Revell......I didn't see the Ford GT racer kit??? We'll see what 2020 catalog brings.....then we will see if anything new shows up or we are doomed to reissues forever.
tomcat65

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ford GT GTLM Kit is listed on the Revell-Germany site though...

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/cars/motorsport/
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Revell Reply with quote

I know a thing or two about how the NASCAR business works and I guarantee that the licensing for the NASCAR kits was not transferred to the new ownership and that we probably will not see any 2019 NASCAR kits from Revell. But the good news is if the Consortium that owns Carrera slot cars is the new owner of Revell, Carrera has had a continuing relationship with NASCAR for many years now.
martinfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Revell Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
I know a thing or two about how the NASCAR business works and I guarantee that the licensing for the NASCAR kits was not transferred to the new ownership and that we probably will not see any 2019 NASCAR kits from Revell. But the good news is if the Consortium that owns Carrera slot cars is the new owner of Revell, Carrera has had a continuing relationship with NASCAR for many years now.

You are correct, none the licensing agreements that Hobbico had transferred over to the new owners as part of the bankruptcy settlements , Ford and GM were both owed large amounts of monies.

The NASCAR licensing would of expired in Oct 2018 or there abouts.

I have a feeling 2019 is going to be a slow year for Revell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: