Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixing hood gaps. Ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SawgrassRaven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Fixing hood gaps. Ideas? Reply with quote

Hello all!

I've recently purchased the Round 2 General Lee Charger. The hood to fender fit is bad; there is a nice gap between the hood and fender.

My idea is to add some .020 styrene strip to the edges of the hood to add some material, putty and sand smooth, to fit to make a nice tight (but operable) hood fit.

Does this sound like a good fix? Have any of you done similar?

Opinions and advice more than welcomed!

Thanks in advance! Wink

SR
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Hood gaps Reply with quote

You are on the right track, but use 010 and make sure you glue the entire length of the area. If it's not enough,add a second strip,it makes it stronger and don't forget the thickness of your paint and primers. The MPC Allison Merc has a huge problem in this area.[/list]
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tape the hood in place from underneath, then scribe the hood/fender gap with the back edge of a hobby knife (hold the knife so the blade is sharp side up). This lets you start with an even gap all the way around.

Once that's done, glue in styrene strip of whatever width or layering is appropriate. (I usually glue the strip to the hood side.) Let it dry and then sand/fill/sand/prime until you get the effect you want. Makes a huge difference.

Jodie Peeler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: